PCSX2 development picks up speed
Yeah all plugins will also have to be 64 bit. What people seem to confuse is 64 bit builds, ie just compiling PCSX2 as a native 64 bit application as opposed to rewriting PCSX2 to take actual advantage of 64 bit registers etc for speed ups and stuff, from which we are VERY far off (if it ever happens Tongue)
[Image: newsig.jpg]

Sponsored links

At the very least it should help out with the games that need the 4GB patch(not for speed, but memory use). Even without rewriting.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
It will surely help. But the code should be improved to use less memory as the real problem is that it uses much more memory than it should.

I don't quite understand this, though. AFAIK, 64-bit builds were dropped because it's difficult to maintain both 32-bit and 64-bit builds. Is it a non-issue now?
Well it's as Bositman said. Currently they are just cleaning up the code so it compiles for x64. At that point, the 32 bit and 64 bit build should have the exact same performance(aside from the memory thing). They will also be pretty much the same code.

If, from there, they add x64 specific stuff, it would increase the complexity some. But more people are working on the code now than 3 months ago, as well.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
So what about the Scarlet.Crush's modified lilypad? Will it be possible to make it work with x64 PCSX2 and the modified XInput1_3.dll from its Win64 folder? That's what I'm worried about the most.
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz (Turbo 5.1 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 (8 GB)
RAM: Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX
MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS
I didn't know there was a "modified" lilypad?

And, well, you know how it goes: Unofficial versions aren't supported. Tongue2

But seriously, we are a LONG way off from having a 64 bit build at all, let alone one that is more useful than the 32 bit. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah there is LilyPad-Scp-r5875.dll in the Win32 folder of the wrapper. It allows DS3 to be used natively thus full pressure sensitive buttons support and PS Button can be mapped. I'm not sure where the source is though.
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz (Turbo 5.1 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 (8 GB)
RAM: Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX
MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS
But Scarlet.Crush is not really active anymore, or? One can ask jhebbel or Jays2Kings to include their DS4 stuff. But since they are working a lot on the front end i would guess they don't want to stick to lilypad...
(09-16-2014, 07:01 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Well it's as Bositman said. Currently they are just cleaning up the code so it compiles for x64. At that point, the 32 bit and 64 bit build should have the exact same performance(aside from the memory thing). They will also be pretty much the same code.

If, from there, they add x64 specific stuff, it would increase the complexity some. But more people are working on the code now than 3 months ago, as well.

I mean 64-bit builds aren't new. They existed about 6 years ago and were dropped. http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-We-are-dr...und-builds

Quote:There are many reasons for this change. Just naming a few...
- Big increase in complexity of maintaining both versions
- No increase in performances as the emulator is structured now

I just wonder if the complexity is a non-issue now. If it's still an issue, it will be awkward if 64-bit builds were added and dropped again because of the same reasons. Maybe there are other reasons I don't know.
(09-16-2014, 09:49 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: I mean 64-bit builds aren't new. They existed about 6 years ago and were dropped. http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-We-are-dr...und-builds

I just wonder if the complexity is a non-issue now. If it's still an issue, it will be awkward if 64-bit builds were added and dropped again because of the same reasons. Maybe there are other reasons I don't know.

It is still an issue I think. But again, just making a 64 bit build is much easier than optimizing for x64. At least with a basic x64 build we can support the future when 32 bit will eventually be dropped(which will be a while yet).

As I understand it, it's the recompilers that would need a lot of work to benefit from x64. If you recall recently, Dolphin dropped 32 bit builds because of the complexity of maintaining two types of builds,and also because their x64 version was faster.