PCSX2 emulator on PS4 linux
Hey there, guys!
Can you please explain me why we cannot run PCSX2 properly on PS4 linux?Why it is not possible yet? Huh
I mean.. what is the main problem?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks! Laugh

Sponsored links

The CPU is the main issue. AMD Jaguar Architecture combined with slow clock speeds just don't have the single core performance PCSX2 needs to run.
(06-18-2018, 04:20 AM)TkSilver Wrote: The CPU is the main issue.  AMD Jaguar Architecture combined with slow clock speeds just don't have the single core performance PCSX2 needs to run.

Thank you for replying!
Yeah, i think so..
Is there any way that it could improve in the future? Mellow

They found a ps2 emu on the ps4 but it does not work like PCSX2.. Unsure
Some games work on linux 1.4.0 at almost full speed, like Tales of Destiny director's cut (is really light game for hardware). No idea why but latest builds not worked for me at all. Not even boot. I tested it on arch linux, as this seems to be only version of ps4 linux with full hardware support.
(06-18-2018, 04:40 AM)kozarovv Wrote: Some games work on linux 1.4.0 at almost full speed, like Tales of Destiny director's cut (is really light game for hardware). No idea why but latest builds not worked for me at all. Not even boot. I tested it on arch linux, as this seems to be only version of ps4 linux with full hardware support.

Yeah, i've tried to run MGS3 without success. I think it is almost impossible but.. who knows? Hopefully they will find a solution!! Happy
Kozarovv
You would have to ask a dev as to what changed between 1.4.0 and whatever build you tried, but if you want to help them narrow down why it does not work then...
Take a build about half as new (in relation to 1.4.0 as the one you tried and see if it works. If it does then take one half as old, if it does not then half as new again. repeat until you find the oldest build that does not work.

Kernel
Unless there is a massive optimization found then odds are demanding titles (MGS3 is defiantly one of them) will probably never run at full (or even playable) speed. Basically anything with the CPU intensive tag on the PCSX2 wiki is going to be a no go, besides tech demo.

AS far as Sony's "emulator" it is like PoPs (Playstation on PSP, Sony's psx emulator for the psp), for the games it works with it should be faster then anything you could run from anyone else on the hardware. This comes from Sony knowing the ins and outs of both hardware and being to write for that specific hardware and take advantage of things that would just break an emulator that had to work on different setups. This also means that the tricks they use will probably cause some portion of the PS2 library to never be playable and updates to fix games Sony wants to sell can and will break other games that were working on other versions. These are some of the sacrifices you pay to get the speed that they get.
Quote:Kozarovv
You would have to ask a dev as to what changed between 1.4.0 and whatever build you tried, but if you want to help them narrow down why it does not work then...
Take a build about half as new (in relation to 1.4.0 as the one you tried and see if it works. If it does then take one half as old, if it does not then half as new again. repeat until you find the oldest build that does not work.
I'm not really interested into fixing PCSX2 for so rare environment like PS4 linux on weak hardware. Wink

Quote:AS far as Sony's "emulator" it is like PoPs (Playstation on PSP, Sony's psx emulator for the psp), for the games it works with it should be faster then anything you could run from anyone else on the hardware. This comes from Sony knowing the ins and outs of both hardware and being to write for that specific hardware and take advantage of things that would just break an emulator that had to work on different setups. This also means that the tricks they use will probably cause some portion of the PS2 library to never be playable and updates to fix games Sony wants to sell can and will break other games that were working on other versions. These are some of the sacrifices you pay to get the speed that they get.

Actually their emu have better multi threading, and is very flexible. I think this emu is ready to run any ps2 game. But not at standard settings. They implemented config file that allow to change ~100 recompilation settings (maybe more). And what's more important they implemented thing called internally "lua_bridge". With this bridge you can basically do everything, change part of code from iso before loading, change iop/ee code, change registers settings, textures, shaders, rewrite part of game, set offsets that will be compiled only once, add trophies, change in game messages. I created some simple settings to run some games as an example, but sadly i'm lack of r.e. and coding skills to really look deep into it.
(06-18-2018, 09:03 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Kernel
Unless there is a massive optimization found then odds are demanding titles (MGS3 is defiantly one of them) will probably never run at full (or even playable) speed.  Basically anything with the CPU intensive tag on the PCSX2 wiki is going to be a no go, besides tech demo.

AS far as Sony's "emulator" it is like PoPs (Playstation on PSP, Sony's psx emulator for the psp), for the games it works with it should be faster then anything you could run from anyone else on the hardware.  This comes from Sony knowing the ins and outs of both hardware and being to write for that specific hardware and take advantage of things that would just break an emulator that had to work on different setups.  This also means that the tricks they use will probably cause some portion of the PS2 library to never be playable and updates to fix games Sony wants to sell can and will break other games that were working on other versions.  These are some of the sacrifices you pay to get the speed that they get.

Thanks, dude!!.. i get it now  Biggrin
I wanted to play some ps2 games on my PS4 using linux but i realized it is not powerful enough to do that..
Is it possible to modify the Sony's "emulator" or not? Wacko
(06-18-2018, 03:47 PM)Kernel_panic Wrote: Thanks, dude!!.. i get it now  Biggrin
I wanted to play some ps2 games on my PS4 using linux but i realized it is not powerful enough to do that..
Is it possible to modify the Sony's "emulator" or not? Wacko

ask Sony for the source code...
Not sure they will answer you, though Blink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-18-2018, 04:00 PM)jesalvein Wrote: ask Sony for the source code...
Not sure they will answer you, though Blink

LOL.. i meant if we could be able to"modify" their settings-configuration in order to improve the performance  Huh