PCSX2 for Android
So, given the lack of actual facts posted, is there any planned effort for a PCSX2 app for android?  Given the overall move towards mobile device preferences, i'm not understanding the lack of movement, especially in light of the poor advancement of Play! and the shady but working results of DamonPS2.  Given that these here are the experts in PS2 emulation, i would love to see a product from them, or at least a Retroarch Core.

Sponsored links

It's a lot of work for a group of people who don't seem all the grateful for us (or Play! for that matter) to begin with.

Given what I've seen out of Android users, why would anyone want to port to Android? You mention DamonPS2 for example, so Android users are willing to promote and use a Chinese rip off of PCSX2 with spyware rather than stand with legitimate projects like PCSX2 and Play?

That's the user base you want us to serve? I mean I've been watching Android users go to the Duckstation github and slam it with comments about how they want it to run on their potato phones and when it doesn't they freak out and insult people. So much so that the author removed the link to the github from the app and is now considering dropping it entirely. That same guy wanted to port us to Android but won't because he doesn't want Damon to rip his work off and make a buck on it.

I mean you said yourself that Play! is making "poor advancements". Do you have any idea how much effort goes into that project? I watch them make advancements all the time. What you are trying to say is Play! isn't making making advancements on your schedule and I guess that sucks for you but we don't always get what we want when we want it and when we don't we have the option to wait or to take it by any means ethical or not. Sure seems to me Android users have chosen the latter.

They make ***** selfish decisions and they get ***** in return. No one to blame but themselves for how ***** the situation is because they continue to eat it up. Damon served them a bowl of ***** and they said "please sir, can I have some more?". The fact that Damon even exists and that there is a market for that garbage that makes it profitable is evidence enough that the Android community doesn't actually care about our project, the emulation community, or the ethics of what they're doing as long as they're getting what they want when they want it.

I'm not trying to paint all Android users with this brush and I'm not trying to seem overly hostile to you or your question but this mentality is clearly pervasive and it's clearly a problem and it's one the Android community continues to ignore.

So I'll tell you what, we'll start making Android a priority when the Android community starts standing up for us. Otherwise don't be surprised when we aren't in a rush because of "the move towards mobile devices" as if we're some company trying to maximize profits by reaching a wider user base. It just doesn't work that way.

Finally to answer your question, yes we have plans to do it and it will get done when somebody wants to do it which probably won't be any time soon because the Android community continues to incentivize anyone mildly interested in doing it not to.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

(08-03-2021, 10:01 PM)Kojin Wrote: It's a lot of work for a group of people who don't seem all the grateful for us (or Play! for that matter) to begin with.

Given what I've seen out of Android users, why would anyone want to port to Android? You mention DamonPS2 for example, so Android users are willing to promote and use a Chinese rip off of PCSX2 with spyware rather than stand with legitimate projects like PCSX2 and Play?

That's the user base you want us to serve? I mean I've been watching Android users go to the Duckstation github and slam it with comments about how they want it to run on their potato phones and when it doesn't they freak out and insult people. So much so that the author removed the link to the github from the app and is now considering dropping it entirely. That same guy wanted to port us to Android but won't because he doesn't want Damon to rip his work off and make a buck on it.

I mean you said yourself that Play! is making "poor advancements". Do you have any idea how much effort goes into that project? I watch them make advancements all the time. What you are trying to say is Play! isn't making making advancements on your schedule and I guess that sucks for you but we don't always get what we want when we want it and when we don't we have the option to wait or to take it by any means ethical or not. Sure seems to me Android users have chosen the latter.

They make ***** selfish decisions and they get ***** in return. No one to blame but themselves for how ***** the situation is because they continue to eat it up. Damon served them a bowl of ***** and they said "please sir, can I have some more?". The fact that Damon even exists and that there is a market for that garbage that makes it profitable is evidence enough that the Android community doesn't actually care about our project, the emulation community, or the ethics of what they're doing as long as they're getting what they want when they want it.

I'm not trying to paint all Android users with this brush and I'm not trying to seem overly hostile to you or your question but this mentality is clearly pervasive and it's clearly a problem and it's one the Android community continues to ignore.

So I'll tell you what, we'll start making Android a priority when the Android community starts standing up for us. Otherwise don't be surprised when we aren't in a rush because of "the move towards mobile devices" as if we're some company trying to maximize profits by reaching a wider user base. It just doesn't work that way.

Finally to answer your question, yes we have plans to do it and it will get done when somebody wants to do it which probably won't be any time soon because the Android community continues to incentivize anyone mildly interested in doing it not to.
You seem to have a lot of angst built up over this, and i'm sorry.  While i cant disagree with you, let me pose this:  Play! has been in work for how long?  At least 3 years from what i can count, probably longer.  They are currently sitting at 17% playable, however thats a loose definition if you dont mind stuttering graphics, sound, and framerates between 15-25 FPS.  Honestly, thats not really playable.  I do hope that the current level of progress will continue, but i cant bet on it considering their limited resources and history.  That doesnt mean i wont keep an eye on them, just like i did for you back when you first started.  As for those chinese jerks at Damon PS2, why are they so popular and allowed to get away with theft?  Its because, as you so directly put it, the android users allow it.  And, they allow it because its what they've wanted, but no one else is supplying.  You say the android community doesnt care, but they obviously do when they are willing to support something this wrong after not being given the time of day elsewhere.  You want the community to "stand up" for you.  How?  In what way?  What are they to "stand up" for?  You are literally telling the android community to **** off, but then want their support?  I would gladly support you, if i knew that there was something in the pipeline i could look forward to.  Heck, i've supported the windows version for years before just not having the time to devote to gaming on my PC (and boy have my MMOs paid that price).  At current, for android though, there just doesnt SEEM to be anything yet there to support.  I suppose i dont blame you.  But on the same note, i cant agree with the sentiment.  I guess i'll just keep watching Play! for now and hope they manage, though i know you'd all do it better  Cool.
So, it appears that the discussion is dead...despite the obvious interest. I reread back thru your post a couple of times, and I'm floored by the level of attack my query garnered. You think I'm ungrateful and impatient. Well, thats unfortunate that you are willing to make such judgement calls, without knowing your audience. You made grand statements, most of which were faulty or judgemental to the point of insulting. You call us ungrateful, but then tell us you don't care about us or our support. I think the amount of views was enough to make the point however. If anyone else out there would like to chime in, please feel free. Oh, and as a correction, Play! has been in work for over 10 years. Impatient? For a 20 year old console and with plenty of work toward its virtualization, I think that's a bit off.
we don't have the resources to make an android port, nor the time.
pcsx2 is an open source project, feel free to make your own fork if you need this badly

Quote:Oh, and as a correction, Play! has been in work for over 10 years. Impatient? For a 20 year old console and with plenty of work toward its virtualization, I think that's a bit off.
that's a one man project, that's why it's so long.
you know how complex a ps2 architecture is. if you can help him, go tell him what you think of his project
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
You went on an an entire tirade where you agreed with me that android users are using a project that steals from us and basically told me I should interpret that as them caring about us. I mean if I could have license to be a just bit condescending, that's just laughably ridiculous. I didn't respond to it because it doesn't warrant a response. Anyone with a brain can see how hard you're trying to gaslight me here. What you showed me was that some number of Android users care about getting what they want, not about emulation generally or about us or the work we do.

You went on to argue against a bunch of points I wasn't making one of which was that I think you're personally ungrateful and impatient by crying about how Play! is taking too long to get a viable Android build and that for some reason we owe people our own Android port because of "interest" or some such. I mean I've already addressed this idea that we are purely motivated by public interest in things. If there was large demand for a Windows XP port we wouldn't supply it so clearly there's more than goes into the decision than that alone. But congrats, you won the argument you were having with yourself by basically telling me "yes, I'm in fact an extremely ungrateful and impatient person".

You can't always have what you want when you want it. No one here owes you anything. We work for free. You should be thankful that I even responded with our plans to do it despite stupid ***** like this from Android users, a part of my reply you conveniently ignored because you were too busy making an ass of yourself to actually read what I was saying.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

Ahh, yes. You make a wonder martyr. Noone here is gaslighting you, just pointing out your inconsistencies. You clearly have no understanding of how "interest" and "demand" work, unlike those who are profiting from your work. You talk about people crying, but the only one whining here is you. I've tried to highlight where your judgement has gone wrong, but you don't want to listen. So, grow up. You created a free product, ignored people because you wanted to feel justified, and then rant because noone respects you.
Quote:and then rant because noone respects you
You're right.
And it's time to stop feeding that "no one"

Again, This is an open source project, and you're free to bring your Dev skills to create an android port.
You can even make money from it if you want, as long as you comply with GNU GPL.

We're eagerly waiting for your work.
Edit : and btw
Quote:or at least a Retroarch Core
No need to make another one
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go