PCSX2 for Arch Linux
(08-08-2017, 01:12 PM)Ghosthree3 Wrote: Nice and easy, thanks. So does the Arch build(s) enable what __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 would by default?

Those optimizations are available if you run PCSX2 from .desktop file (e.g.: in GNOME, search for pcsx2 in Activities Overview and launch it) as can be seen in Exec field of /usr/share/applications/PCSX2.desktop. However it won't happen in command line - which probably should be fixed...

Sponsored links

(08-08-2017, 02:07 PM)josephg Wrote: Those optimizations are available if you run PCSX2 from .desktop file (e.g.: in GNOME, search for pcsx2 in Activities Overview and launch it) as can be seen in Exec field of /usr/share/applications/PCSX2.desktop. However it won't happen in command line - which probably should be fixed...
Ah, well I run i3 so .desktop files are a little difficult to execute (I think). Can I not prefix the old var before the binary on the command line any more, was it disabled? Was anything permanently messed up in the first time setup/run by me running it naked?
(08-08-2017, 02:12 PM)Ghosthree3 Wrote: Ah, well I run i3 so .desktop files are a little difficult to execute (I think). Can I not prefix the old var before the binary on the command line any more, was it disabled? Was anything permanently messed up in the first time setup/run by me running it naked?

I'm not sure which variable you could have messed... Maybe restarting the system it will fix it?

Anyway, for test proposes, try running:
GDK_BACKEND=x11 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 mesa_glthread=true MESA_NO_ERROR=1 PCSX2

(Please notice I removed LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as Arch doesn't ship 3rd party libraries)
(08-08-2017, 02:29 PM)josephg Wrote: I'm not sure which variable you could have messed... Maybe restarting the system it will fix it?

Anyway, for test proposes, try running:
GDK_BACKEND=x11 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 mesa_glthread=true MESA_NO_ERROR=1 PCSX2

(Please notice I removed LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as Arch doesn't ship 3rd party libraries)

I didn't mess anything? I haven't touched any. I'll try testing what you've given but how will I know if they are working? Or should I just do them given that at worst they'll do no harm?
(08-08-2017, 02:32 PM)Ghosthree3 Wrote: I didn't mess anything? I haven't touched any. I'll try testing what you've given but how will I know if they are working? Or should I just do them given that at worst they'll do no harm?

Using this command line with arguments, which I took from the PCSX2-linux.sh script, would affect only a specific lifetime of the PCSX2 (this is: affects only this execution of PCSX2, until you close the program).

No permanent harm to your system (hardware or software). In worst case, the emulation of PS2 games will be somehow worse, but I don't think that will happen because 1) these tweaks are suggested by PCSX2 developers, so they might be good; and 2) "__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS" is documented to be a major optimization in NVidia graphics card, and not something experimental etc., so it looks good to me...

So, my suggestion is: go ahead and try games with and without these tweaks to see how it goes.
(08-09-2017, 08:44 AM)josephg Wrote: Using this command line with arguments, which I took from the PCSX2-linux.sh script, would affect only a specific lifetime of the PCSX2 (this is: affects only this execution of PCSX2, until you close the program).

No permanent harm to your system (hardware or software). In worst case, the emulation of PS2 games will be somehow worse, but I don't think that will happen because 1) these tweaks are suggested by PCSX2 developers, so they might be good; and 2) "__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS" is documented to be a major optimization in NVidia graphics card, and not something experimental etc., so it looks good to me...

So, my suggestion is: go ahead and try games with and without these tweaks to see how it goes.

I've gone ahead and done so. By permanent I mean by not having these args the first time I launched PCSX2 I wasn't sure if I'd missed some options that would only be active if the args were present. I'm going to assume this is not the case though and the only thing related to them within my control is the args themselves. I've been testing it a little and I'm not sure if there is any performance difference to be honest (I am using nvidia drivers so it's not that). It doesn't seem worse though so I'm just leaving it. Thanks for your help so far the software works much better nowadays than when I tried it last ~4 years ago.
Quote:mesa_glthread=true
fwiw, might be slower (ofc on Mesa driver) due to Mesa limitations. There are some patches but unfortunately it takes more time than expected to integrate them.

Globally threaded optimization depends on the emulated game and system. Most of the time, it is a big win. But it might work better on 4 cores rather than 2 cores.
I'm having trouble getting the GSDx hardware opengl to work with my skylake intel hd. I know this is because of a driver issue or whatever on Intel's part but the software rendering is unacceptably slow and various google searches have led me to believe that ZZOGL with certain parameters works with Hardware OpenGL.

So from there I've been trying to compile PCSX2 to only be cursing my screen for hours. Essentially the wxgtk package is broken (there were a few github issues about this) which has led me to try to compile that absolute behemoth for both 64 bit and 32 bit (hell on earth). I ran into issues while trying to build 32 bit and am so close to giving up.

I just want to know if ANYONE has a recent working version of PCSX2 on Arch running Hardware Graphics with a newish Intel HD chip. If not then this rabbit hole I've gotten myself into will ultimately be fruitless.

If not I'm just going to go buy a PS4 (trying to speedrun KH2FM).

tl;dr compilation hell any success stories of working Intel HD on linux?
(04-18-2018, 03:09 AM)newtype_ Wrote: I'm having trouble getting the GSDx hardware opengl to work with my skylake intel hd. I know this is because of a driver issue or whatever on Intel's part but the software rendering is unacceptably slow and various google searches have led me to believe that ZZOGL with certain parameters works with Hardware OpenGL.

So from there I've been trying to compile PCSX2 to only be cursing my screen for hours. Essentially the wxgtk package is broken (there were a few github issues about this) which has led me to try to compile that absolute behemoth for both 64 bit and 32 bit (hell on earth). I ran into issues while trying to build 32 bit and am so close to giving up.

I just want to know if ANYONE has a recent working version of PCSX2 on Arch running Hardware Graphics with a newish Intel HD chip. If not then this rabbit hole I've gotten myself into will ultimately be fruitless.

If not I'm just going to go buy a PS4 (trying to speedrun KH2FM).

tl;dr compilation hell any success stories of working Intel HD on linux?

I don't mean to disparage PCSX2 It's a wonderful emulator I've used gainfully in the past, and absolutely glad it exists and has been previously a painless and flawless program for a variety of PS2 games!
So I took out geometry_shaders per some suggestion and got the Hardware render to work on 1.4

I have another problem though the popup windows are too large for my screen (using i3) I don't really care but after grepping the inis/ folder cant for the life of me figure out how to scale the resolution.