PCSX2 gradual slowdown
Hi.

I've been using PCSX2 for a long time, ever since version 0.99 to be exact. And I've been able to play several PS2 games at the following framerates:

Kingdom Hearts  - 55-60fps
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix - 58-60fps
Kingdom Hearts Re:CoM - 50fps
Shining Force EXA - 55-60fps
Persona 3 FES - 50-55fps
Persona 4 - 50-55fps

with a slightly decent Asus N61Vn laptop with a C2D, 4GB RAM, and a GeForce GT240M 1GB.

but recently, PCSX2 has not been able to attain that same performance. Back then, I can get those numbers, now... not so much

Kingdom Hearts  - 30-50fps
Kingdom hearts II Final Mix - 40-45fps
Kingdom Hearts Re:CoM - 40fps
Shining Force EXA - unplayed, I'm missing both my disc and ISO
Persona 3 FES - unplayed, I'm missing both my disc and ISO
Persona 4 - unplayed, I'm missing both my disc and ISO

and even if I rollback (all the way back to 0.99 as a matter of fact), I still get the same performance.

I have tried the following steps:
> updated my drivers
> rollbacked to the earlies version of PCSX2 that I used (0.99 to be exact)
> reformatted the laptop (I was using Windows 7 before, but was one of the early adopters of Windows 10, these performance dips weren't present when I first switched to Windows 10)

Is there something that can be done to at least be close to my old performance numbers?

EDIT: Settings are default, except for GSdx, I'm using either SSE2 or SSSE3 (latest versions of PCSX2 does not shouw up SSSE3 for me thogh, which is weird.

Sponsored links

when you roll back, do you roll back pcsx2 or plugins as well ?

FYI, it's not surprising you get bad performances since pcsx2 gets more accurate trhoughout newer versions, and thus needs more raw power.
since your laptop is clearly outdated, it'll struggle in newer versions.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-25-2017, 11:40 AM)jesalvein Wrote: when you roll back, do you roll back pcsx2 or plugins as well ?

I rollback the plugins as well.
Have you monitored temperatures on your laptop? It could just be it as got clogged up with dust overtime and it's slowing itself down to prevent overheating.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

newer Windows updates and newer drivers can decrease the performance as well..
your components are just too old, there is no other way around than getting a new laptop or a decent PC.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

?Yeah the C2D is very old and a laptop one is even weaker then a desktop version. Going for a much newer i5/i7 based laptop would do much better. The price of gaming laptops have come down quite a bit from back in the day where you needed a $2k+ laptop to get decent gaming now it can be down on laptops that are $800 or less if you manage to run into a sale for one. So yeah. I would say if you seeing overheating with the laptop might be time to replace the thermal compound and clean out the fans/vents as well. and as others have said NEwer Windows updates can cause a decrease as well.
(03-25-2017, 02:49 PM)refraction Wrote: Have you monitored temperatures on your laptop? It could just be it as got clogged up with dust overtime and it's slowing itself down to prevent overheating.

Just gutted the laptop, replaced thermal grease and such. and performance has boosted a bit. KH2FM so far is bouncing at around 40-60fps. Not what I really wanted, but good enough, considering the age of the device. CPU tops up at 90 degrees and GPU at 71 degrees, but never throttles down. I'll test more games once I find my ISOs.