PCSX2 in Windows on Mac Pro
Hello! First, an apology; I am a newbie so I'm not sure where to put this as it's a question concerning a PCSX2 installation on a Mac running Windows. If it's in the wrong place (and I have looked for anything similar, honest!) I'll re-post as necessary.

So; I'm a fan of the Call of Duty series. I'm working my way through them (slowly - I'm getting on a bit and my reactions aren't what they were) but there are the console versions which didn't get ported to PC so this emulator looks like an ideal way to pick up the ones I've missed. So that's the game part.

The equipment I use is as follows; a 2008 Mac Pro with two, 4-core 2.8GHz Intel Xeon CPUs, 16 GB RAM and an nVidia 8800GT graphics card. So this should be in a Mac thread I hear you say. However, while I use the Mac professionally during the day, after hours I turn to the Dark Side and reboot into Windows 10 (or XP, sometimes) so that I can have a little play. I have both of those OSs on a dedicated HDD (I don't/didn't use Boot Camp for the installs) because, knowing me as I do, if I were to have a gaming PC I wouldn't get any work done… so that's why I'm putting this in a Windows thread.

I'm prepared to jump through whatever hoops are required to get PCSX2 working on my machine but I'd like to know whether or not it's actually possible (in other words, if anyone's tried it already) before I start setting it all up. 

I know, it's a bit weird. But then, I don't like insects, either.

Sponsored links

Yes, it'll run.. it might not run all game full speed. Your video card is near the minimum spec needed for pcsx2 and your procs, while great for multithreaded daily use, they're pretty weak in the single thread performance category. You can probably play some of the less difficult to emu games, but no be able to play some of the more demanding games. I'm not sure where the CoD franchise falls on that scale.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(07-22-2016, 06:45 PM)scythefwd Wrote: Yes, it'll run.. it might not run all game full speed.  Your video card is near the minimum spec needed for pcsx2 and your procs, while great for multithreaded daily use, they're pretty weak in the single thread performance category.  You can probably play some of the less difficult to emu games, but no be able to play some of the more demanding games.  I'm not sure where the CoD franchise falls on that scale.

Oh, thanks for that reply. I'm currently looking at CoD3 as my first attempt after I get PCSX2 up and running - or at least, moving at a brisk trot - so I'll see how well it does. It manages CoD Black Ops well enough without being slow but I suppose the addition of another layer will affect things. I'll see how it does and report back - but don't hold your breath!