PCSX2 is MUCH slower on Win7 x64
Well guess i was wrong Tongue but i still preffer x86
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!

Sponsored links

CobraSA, we are not supposing you lie, just than you could be getting unrealistic or false lectures. For example those from high VU cycle stealing; although correct in a way it's not a realistic FPS measure since the output is drastically reduced, like more pictures by second but less actual changes in each.

That's the reason a game commonly lags using it albeit the increased FPS. Another hypothesis being the way the crossfire driver is actually implemented and how it benefit (if any) PCSX2 is what I'd love to know.

The bottom line is there is no advantage at all in getting high (or low) FPS in a TV standard tied program like console games, the best possible scenery is the exact FPS for the type (60 for NTSC and 50 for PAL) with the maximal accuracy. It's totally different from PC games that uses a different synchronizing method.

In PC a game running at 25FPS without lag looks exactly like running at 85 in terms of motion perception although it may traduce in better responsiveness/precision for the input devices such as mouse/keyboard/pad for fast paced games like a FPS (first person shooter), hence being desirable getting that high FPS (Frames per second). That just does not applies to consoles.
Imagination is where we are truly real
PCSX2 on a 64bit OS runs in the "Windows on Windows" emulated environment.
I quote Wikipedia:
"The WoW64 subsystem is a lightweight compatibility layer that has similar interfaces on all 64-bit versions of Windows. Its primary purpose is to create a 32-bit environment that provides the interfaces required to allow 32-bit Windows applications to run unmodified in the 64-bit system."

This system works absolutely perfectly for our needs.
The extra software layer consumes unmeasurable amounts of CPU cycles.
(181FPS on Windows XP (32bit) became 181FPS on Windows7 x64 in my test.)

A 64bit version of PCSX2 is therefore not needed.
We tested this extensively when deciding to make PCSX2 a 32bit only app.
(07-26-2010, 01:53 PM)CobraSA Wrote: I am not lying, I must add I used hardware mode and my 3D card is pretty powerful (when I bought it 2 years ago it was the most powerful 3D card), it still runs even the newest games at full speed with AA+ gfx. I guess crossfire is really effective.

Also software mode with 3 cores was also pretty fast, not as fast as hardware mode but still fast.

Maybe pcsx is not optimized for x64 OSes. Maybe a x64 version of PCSX2 would fix this? Or maybe it's Win7 which is responsible. ePSXe also runs very slowly in my current rig.

64-bit is basically double precision so there is a chance it could be the culprit.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
If you're using the same pcsx2 build and configuration on both installations, you have a driver (or driver configuration) issue.
Ah, it's definitely a driver issue then if x86 and x64 have absolutely no difference in speed. Looks like once you've got that sorted out (either by changing the configuration or uninstalling, restarting and installing the latest) then you're good to go.

VU cycle stealing slows down the emotion engine emulation, which basically reduces the speed of your game logic, and although you perceive to get a faster speed, all your really doing is just balancing out the EE and the visual update.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
(07-26-2010, 12:06 AM)CobraSA Wrote: For the exact same hardware (sig) and same version of PCSX2, same settings and everything, I had for FFXII (USA):

180-190 fps under WinXP x86
70-80 fps under Win7 x64

What caused such loss in the framerate? I tested pcsx2 in WinXP mode same results... how can I get back the speed I had with XP 32bits? Mellow

Please any help is welcome.

180 FPS in Final Fantasy XII on that hardware? Sorry, there's just no way.

For the sake of argument, let's say it was that high under XP... does it matter? 70-80 FPS is still beyond 60, which is what the frame limiter shall restrict the game to.
180FPS are no problem in a menu for example.
Without the complete context in which they were achieved, FPS numbers are useless.
deleted
jesalvein broke my balls, farewell
try now Tongue 10.7 are out!

also from what i have read above you should do a clean install of win 7 and pcsx2 (if you didnt)
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest