PCSX2 latest version (r3878) still slower than r1888
Hi,

I tried this beta version with KOFMIRA and though being a little faster than the previous beta (r3113), it's still about 7 to 8 FPS slower than the old 0.9.6 r1888.

Despite having more compatible games, this new r3878 is still slower than the older r1888. With r1888 I can get 57 to 58 fps on my Core i7 920 and with this last version I can only get 48 to 49 fps.

To me the r1888 is the best and fastest PCSX2 version launched to this day. It's a shame that 0.9.6 r1888 only works on XP. It won't work on Win7, so I have to keep an XP partition for the r1888.

Sponsored links

I see you just understood pcsx2 team main objective.

Speed isn't, accuracy is.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
If PCSX2 seeks better accuracy and perfection (something that involves consuming more resources, and one may think getting a faster machine) why doesn't it move on to multi-processor technology?

If its goal is perfection, why not programming it to take advantage of 4x, 6x cores and HT?

You may say that most users have 2x cores (not for long) but then you will be in contradiction in the "user vs accuracy" question.

Regards.
Quote:why not programming it to take advantage of 4x, 6x cores and HT

because this would mean re-writing the soft from completely.
maybe this will happen, but once emulaion is close to perfection, I guess
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
First, it is absolutely impossible to thread PCSX2 to more than 4 cores (maybe the GS plugin but NOT PCSX2). 4 threads has been considered, but from preliminary tests, the speed boost was minor and the effort to code it would be huge (talking about months work, not accounting for new bugs). So if I were you I'd be just glad PCSX2 works with so many more games since r1888 and not complain about losing a mere 7-10 FPS.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Quote: 0.9.6 r1888 only works on XP. It won't work on Win7, so I have to keep an XP partition for the r1888.

Strange, it works pretty well on my w7 64bit

Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
(10-08-2010, 08:11 AM)Bositman Wrote: First, it is absolutely impossible to thread PCSX2 to more than 4 cores (maybe the GS plugin but NOT PCSX2).

Absolutely impossible is very strong wording, I'd disagree with this statement. But any useful increase in threads is major work and doubling threads will not yield double fps.
Also: This is one game that slowed down. I know of several that run near twice as fast now.
@OP, did you try disabling hyperthreading or running pcsx2 with core 0 and 2 affinity only in task manager? I have an i7 and it gives me a 20-25 fps boost when I don't have HT on. For some reason in other emulators like dolphin, setting affinity to just core 0 and 2 speeds it up as well.
There is no reason to slow down things by trying to increse compatibility.Almost every game runs with PCSX2. But that's just my opinion.