PCSX2 made my PC shut down (1.7)
Today I played Vice City for an hour and my PC completely shut down on it's own while I was playing. This never happened to me with any game, even those that are heavy on CPU or GPU (current gen ones) and I even played through Libery City Stories and VCS (but that was about 6 years ago) on the same PC (the only thing different is the GPU from then). Definately not temperatures. I have a OC'd CPU but I had it like that for 8 years now and it's been fine with everything (stable OC, checked with CPU stressing programs). What could have caused this? Dying PSU?

Sponsored links

Did this only happen once or were you able to recreate it?
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
Only once but after that I stopped playing. Today I did a almost 2 hour Prime95 stress test, the one testing all the cache sectors, power etc. and everything went fine. CPU cores temps were 90/90/85/80 and nothing bad happened. So the temps of CPU did not cause this, maybe the power unit since there was also heavier GPU load at the time than with Prime95 test alone... IDK, but there have been some posts online from people having PCSX2 shut down their computers.

Edit: Okay I have done some testing today. I played again and got to the same point, nothing bad happenned. I saw that the temps were low, GPU at 70C at most, CPU never hit 60. The usage of CPU is mostly at around 40%, GPU at higher percentage, but rarely at 100%. What I noticed though is that the voltage fluctuates very much for the GPU.

Edit2: And now it did the same thing after playing for 10-15 minutes, different mission. I am 90% sure it's software problem (emulator itself), since everything else works perfectly fine.
Have to bump it guys.
It's not the emulator. If it were, then you'd see A LOT more posts from people complaining about it. It might be some kind of interaction with the emulator and some other software on your computer. It's possible that something is over heating and the software you're using isn't reporting it accuratley. I've actually had that happen with my GPU. It was getting a lot hotter than Speedfan was reporting and my computer kept freezing up when I ran any intense game. It's also possible that something on your motherboard is overheating, that can't be detected. I've also had that happen and had to replace my motherboard about 2 years ago. It started off with the computer randomly rebooting. I didn't think much about it, then eventually it went to reboot and just kept freezing up before it could even boot back into windows. Found out part of the motherboard had fried
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(07-12-2020, 11:43 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: It's not the emulator. If it were, then you'd see A LOT more posts from people complaining about it. It might be some kind of interaction with the emulator and some other software on your computer. It's possible that something is over heating and the software you're using isn't reporting it accuratley. I've actually had that happen with my GPU. It was getting a lot hotter than Speedfan was reporting and my computer kept freezing up when I ran any intense game. It's also possible that something on your motherboard is overheating, that can't be detected. I've also had that happen and had to replace my motherboard about 2 years ago. It started off with the computer randomly rebooting. I didn't think much about it, then eventually it went to reboot and just kept freezing up before it could even boot back into windows. Found out part of the motherboard had fried

1. There have been posts from people having the exact problem here on forums and on reddit with PCSX2.
2. What software interaction could possibly cause something like that? Has this ever happened with any other softwares?
3. How come nothing bad is happening in any other programs or games that require even more power from my PC than PCSX2?
4. All your problems that you report clearly indicate there were specific problems that were showing up under different circumstances, never in a very specific way like for me. CPU and GPU heavy games like AC Odyssey worked flawlessly, programs like UserBenchmark show no problems with my computer and say it performs better than average for this setup.

I think it may be because PCSX2 doesn't like Radeon cards too much (and I think PCSX2 dev team dont like those either, the OpenGL renderer is much better supported by nVidia cards, there is no Vulkan support, etc.).
1- which posts? (Not Reddit ones, please, we don't need to pollute the forums)
2- no idea. Maybe you made a brand new discover Wink
3- pcsx2 can be more demanding than anything else. (Okay, maybe you just started using it and have no idea how CPU demanding it can be)
4-never seen any problem of pc rebooting because of AMD ***** ogl drivers. But maybe ... Tried updating your gpu drivers ? Or monitoring your CPU temps ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Quote:1. There have been posts from people having the exact problem here on forums and on reddit with PCSX2.
In the end it always turned out to be a user problem, not a PCSX2 problem.

Quote:2. What software interaction could possibly cause something like that? Has this ever happened with any other softwares?
Start ruling stuff out. See what programs are running in the background and see what you can disable, and then one by one start ruling it out.

Quote:3. How come nothing bad is happening in any other programs or games that require even more power from my PC than PCSX2?
Please don't compare PCSX2 to PC games. It's completely different. Also you might just have gotten lucky with the other programs. Or if it's indeed a particular software causing a conflict, then it might not affect other games/software you're running.

Quote:I think it may be because PCSX2 doesn't like Radeon cards too much (and I think PCSX2 dev team dont like those either, the OpenGL renderer is much better supported by nVidia cards, there is no Vulkan support, etc.).
I have always had an AMD card, and I've been using PCSX2 since early beta days. Never has it caused my computer to shut down.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(07-13-2020, 11:11 PM)jesalvein Wrote: 1- which posts? (Not Reddit ones, please, we don't need to pollute the forums)
2- no idea. Maybe you made a brand new discover Wink
3- pcsx2 can be more demanding than anything else. (Okay, maybe you just started using it and have no idea how CPU demanding it can be)
4-never seen any problem of pc rebooting because of AMD ***** ogl drivers. But maybe ... Tried updating your gpu drivers ? Or monitoring your CPU temps ?
1. For example HERE or HERE. And while reddit is cancerous it's okay on certain small subreddits like PCSX2's one, so HERE's that post.
2. If it's so rare it never happened before then, it's safer to assume it's probably not the thing going on with this problem and what I assume is more probable.
3. I have been emulating  PS consoles since early 2000s and used PCSX2 since late 2000s, emulated games playably since 2011. There's chance I know more about basics than majority of people using it.
4. I monitored my temps both of GPU and CPU, they are very low in PCSX2. The only thing that may be causing this is dying or rather not strong enough PSU, but that would require PCSX2 to use my GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD, HDD and whatnot at 100% at the time, which isn't the case, RAM is mostly at around 4 GB of usage (50%), GPU mostly between 50-80% with some peaks to close 100%, CPU I forgot but it's never close to 80%, on the other hand, games like Assassin's Creed can use my resources at pretty much almost 100% and nothing bad happens. AND I beat Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories on 1.5.0 and nothing bad happened either (same PC).
I have to say though, I use cheats for 60fps, widescreen hack and no interlacing hack for Vice City, but I don't see how this could cause anything. It's really a weird case.
(07-14-2020, 12:57 PM)Ryudo Wrote: In the end it always turned out to be a user problem, not a PCSX2 problem.

Start ruling stuff out. See what programs are running in the background and see what you can disable, and then one by one start ruling it out.

Please don't compare PCSX2 to PC games. It's completely different. Also you might just have gotten lucky with the other programs. Or if it's indeed a particular software causing a conflict, then it might not affect other games/software you're running.

I have always had an AMD card, and I've been using PCSX2 since early beta days. Never has it caused my computer to shut down.

1. From the posts I linked here, there was never a 100% certain answer to what was causing the problem and definately no answers to how to resolve this problem.

2. I don't run anything non-ordinary when I play. I only run very basic programs and if they were causing this, there would be much more reports of the same problem in connection to those programs. It's basically just W10 services, AMD drivers, Realtek drivers, DS4Windows, Defender, really basic stuff.

3. As I said above, I don't see what could be causeing trouble with PCSX2 from software standpoint. And yes, PCSX2 makes my GPU behave differently than regular 3D games, it makes the voltage go crazy, it fluctuates a lot even when the GPU usage is stuck on 100%. This may be problematic, but this is a PCSX2 problem that it does this stuff to my GPU, while no other program/game does it.

4. Same with me before 1.7.0 released. But it also doesn't change the fact that the devs are biased towards nvidia cards as I said.