PCSX2 made my PC shut down (1.7)
lol, the PCSX2 subreddit is so awful we stopped supporting it and it's gone unofficial now.

Devs are biased towards Nvidia because they are the only ones who put out medium-range GPUs that can run anything other than DirectX without major performance issues or driver instability. AMD's 20.xx series drivers are widely known for instability ranging from game to entire system crashes, and people have been using 19.xx drivers because of that.

Have you checked Event Viewer in Windows? If your system is unexpectedly shutting down, chances are Windows will be screaming about why in there.

Sponsored links

1 - the posts you linked are from 2011 ? And 2008 ? I guess you posted the wrong links.
2- I'd suggest you try without ds4windows. It apparently acts weirdly sometimes...
3-if your CPU does have more than 3 cores, it will obviously never show 100% usage with pcsx2. But it can hammer the cores it uses.
4- many pcsx2 newbies think so, but it's wrong. Pcsx2 uses ogl libraries for ogl renderer (the most accurate one. AMD made ***** ogl drivers. But using D3D11 with AMD GPUs works fine. It's just less accurate
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-14-2020, 03:10 PM)pandubz Wrote: Devs are biased towards Nvidia because they are the only ones who put out medium-range GPUs that can run anything other than DirectX without major performance issues or driver instability. AMD's 20.xx series drivers are widely known for instability ranging from game to entire system crashes, and people have been using 19.xx drivers because of that.

Have you checked Event Viewer in Windows? If your system is unexpectedly shutting down, chances are Windows will be screaming about why in there.
Pretty stupid argument, AMD releases even better priced mid-range cards than nVidia (better price : performance ratio), that work with Vulkan much better than nVidia cards AND Vulkan is better than anything else for real time rendering and all the other "newer gen" (6+) devs know about this. So your argument doesn't sound reasonable as to why the devs would be biased towards nVidia cards. The core of PCSX2, the fact that it only uses either D3DX (and it still used DX9 until fairly recently LOL) or OpenGL (which BTW works fine in multiple other performance heavy emulators out there with AMD cards) really prove that PCSX2 "base" is very outdated. It doesn't shock me that it may be behaving erratically on newer systems, since it worked just fine with previous versions on my current PC with a few older parts (mostly just GPU). And I am using 19.xx drivers.
No, I didn't check the Event Viewer after getting the crashes. People mostly reported them not showing anything when the crash was taking place, but I may try it out the next time.

(07-14-2020, 03:36 PM)jesalvein Wrote: 1 - the posts you linked are from 2011 ? And 2008 ? I guess you posted the wrong links.
2- I'd suggest you try without ds4windows. It apparently acts weirdly sometimes...
3-if your CPU does have more than 3 cores, it will obviously never show 100% usage with pcsx2. But it can hammer the cores it uses.
4- many pcsx2 newbies think so, but it's wrong. Pcsx2 uses ogl libraries for ogl renderer (the most accurate one. AMD made ***** ogl drivers. But using D3D11 with AMD GPUs works fine. It's just less accurate
1. But did you even read what they say? They are literally saying what I was saying and the PCSX2 forum one was necro bumped with 2020 post regarding the same issue. The reddit one is from 2016-17ish.
2. Apparently based on what? Where have this problem been observed before with DS4W turned on with ANY program let alone PCSX2? But alright, I'll give it a try.
3. I watched CPU usage per core while I was testing. Also, Prime95 used all the cores at 100% so it's clear there is no problem with my CPU.
4. Okay, PCSX2 boomer.
(07-14-2020, 04:32 PM)Lordani66 Wrote: Pretty stupid argument, AMD releases even better priced mid-range cards than nVidia (better price : performance ratio), that work with Vulkan much better than nVidia cards AND Vulkan is better than anything else for real time rendering and all the other "newer gen" (6+) devs know about this. So your argument doesn't sound reasonable as to why the devs would be biased towards nVidia cards. The core of PCSX2, the fact that it only uses either D3DX (and it still used DX9 until fairly recently LOL) or OpenGL (which BTW works fine in multiple other performance heavy emulators out there with AMD cards) really prove that PCSX2 "base" is very outdated. It doesn't shock me that it may be behaving erratically on newer systems, since it worked just fine with previous versions on my current PC with a few older parts (mostly just GPU). And I am using 19.xx drivers.
No, I didn't check the Event Viewer after getting the crashes. People mostly reported them not showing anything when the crash was taking place, but I may try it out the next time.

1. But did you even read what they say? They are literally saying what I was saying and the PCSX2 forum one was necro bumped with 2020 post regarding the same issue. The reddit one is from 2016-17ish.
2. Apparently based on what? Where have this problem been observed before with DS4W turned on with ANY program let alone PCSX2? But alright, I'll give it a try.
3. I watched CPU usage per core while I was testing. Also, Prime95 used all the cores at 100% so it's clear there is no problem with my CPU.
4. Okay, PCSX2 boomer.

If you refuse to understand how we make development decisions, that's fine, just means you are not going to like any answers we give about literally anything. Too bad I guess.
(07-14-2020, 04:36 PM)pandubz Wrote: If you refuse to understand how we make development decisions, that's fine, just means you are not going to like any answers we give about literally anything. Too bad I guess.

Well, first of all I didn't get any answers or possible ideas on how to resolve my problem, just as other people with the same problem didn't get those fixed. Everything I got were vague ideas that I mostly disproven to be the possibility and the only ideas from this thread I can go with would be to check the Event Viewer and trying not to turn the PCSX2 on with DS4W (highly improbable to be the cause). Everything else I have proven to not be the case (problems with my hardware, etc.).
And as far as your explanations about "dev decisions" go, I already explained how ridiculous this sounds and is far from reality (that is, Radeon GPUs being supposedly less suitable and/or efficient to program the emulator for, since much more demanding emulators of newer consoles do better job at that than PCSX2, in OGL rendering itself, let alone with Vulkan implementation). But I won't repeat myself because I hate that and it's clear you don't care about factual arguments for why your reasoning is wrong. While I'm not emulator developer, I have a degree in CS and know a thing or two about PCs and hardware stuff, so I can't be folled easily. And I am starting to think I know why PCSX2 sub-reddit stopped being supported officially and why you guys try to disregard it so much.

Either way, if anyone's feeling like they have anything to add on-topic, feel free to do so, I'm still looking for any ideas that are not out there. Or maybe someone wants to sponsor a nVidia card for me, since radeons are not welcome here ;D.
I don't get why you think vulkan would be a good idea to emulate cell architecture ?
What are those "much more demanding emulators of newer consoles" you're talking about ?
Quote:I have a OC'd CPU but I had it like that for 8 years now

Run OCCT power supply test for at least 1 hour, if that will goes fine, hardware is probably ok. Additionally you can run AIDA64 stability tests if you have this app. Running only CPU test is useless to test overall stability. 8 years on the same Oc'ed hardware is a lot, capacitors on motherboard probably have hard time now. 

I had mine 4570 undervolted for year, never had any issue. Until few days ago RPCS3 started showing blue screens. Adding 0x025v resolved issue.
I doubt that pcsx2 have something to do with your issue, you should rather look for help on some PC hardware forum.
(07-14-2020, 06:34 PM)kozarovv Wrote: Run OCCT power supply test for at least 1 hour, if that will goes fine, hardware is probably ok. Additionally you can run AIDA64 stability tests if you have this app. Running only CPU test is useless to test overall stability. 8 years on the same Oc'ed hardware is a lot, capacitors on motherboard probably have hard time now. 

I had mine 4570 undervolted for year, never had any issue. Until few days ago RPCS3 started showing blue screens. Adding 0x025v resolved issue.
I doubt that pcsx2 have something to do with your issue, you should rather look for help on some PC hardware forum.

You're a life saver. The last time I used OCCT I don't remember it even had a option to test the PSU. I did just that because from the hardware point, I was suspecting PSU to be faulty (either too low power or simply a dying unit) as my number two pick (the first being GPU not liking extremely fluctuating voltages). The test ran fairly well but not even 20 minutes I believe (or about that time) and then the PC turned off and on again. I suspect this being a PSU problem, still we don't know for sure, because it may have been temp. protecion system preventing from CPU and or GPU running too hot but I doubt this since they weren't hot in PCSX2 when it made my PC turn off. So basically PCSX2 is so unoptimized, it requires crazy amount of power just as a extreme stress testing program, wowzers. Either way, I will see what I can do about it now. Thanks once again.
Quote:So basically PCSX2 is so unoptimized, it requires crazy amount of power just as a extreme stress testing program, wowzers.
Waiting for your CS degree coding skills to optimize it, or use it to properly use your hardware.
Quote: I have a degree in CS and know a thing or two about PCs and hardware stuff, so I can't be folled easily.
Sorry for your ego, kiddo. But

You've been fooled by yourself.
I like how it's still somehow PCSX2's fault for being "unoptimized" lol. What a crock of *****.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ