PCSX2 makes PC to reboot
Sometimes while I play KH1 on PCSX2, my PC suddenly reboots (haven't tried with other games yet). it's a full reboot, i have to sign in again to windows. It seems to happen only in cutscenes, for example it happened 3 times in the cutscene before fighting the head of the tiger at Agrabah and once after beating Cerberus, and seems to happen only on hardware mode with 5x or higher resolution. Could it be a GPU overheat? CPU is never hotter than 45°C.

CPU: Intel i7 4770 @3.40 Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Palit GTX 770 2GB

Sponsored links

(08-06-2013, 10:39 AM)Shell32 Wrote: Sometimes while I play KH1 on PCSX2, my PC suddenly reboots (haven't tried with other games yet). it's a full reboot, i have to sign in again to windows. It seems to happen only in cutscenes, for example it happened 3 times in the cutscene before fighting the head of the tiger at Agrabah and once after beating Cerberus, and seems to happen only on hardware mode with 5x or higher resolution. Could it be a GPU overheat? CPU is never hotter than 45°C.

CPU: Intel i7 4770 @3.40 Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Palit GTX 770 2GB

GPU overheating is a real and even most likely in this situation. There are many programs out there that can monitor GPU temp. I use hardware monitor. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Just run the game in window mode and watch your GPU's temp. If it's hitting 80-90c+ then you know you have a problem. You'd expect to hear your GPU's fan running really high as well.
[Image: 2748844.png]
uncheck "automatic restart" in the startup and recovery
(open charms bar-->settings-->PC info-->system protection-->advanced tab)

other symptoms can be like the mobo drivers
another thing that can help to diagnose system problems is by going to all programs then accessories then system tools then system information

then where it says software environment scroll down to windows error reporting and click on that
it may take some time but it will give you a list of errors look for the one nearest the time you had the system reboot and then google the code/list it here
(the above way of accessing system tools may differ on windows 8 in comparison to windows 7)

is it just PCSX2 or does it happen when you use other software/games ?

if you use the software Koji linked to it will also tell you how hot your cpu is getting, incase you need to reseat your cooler

i suggest downloading the zip version of it, which will leave no bits in your program files,

just click on it and it'll give you things like cpu fan speed cpu temps, gpu temps and voltages
Not sure what graphics card you have, it's memory bandwidth,
it's temperature, fan speed, what pixel shader it has
try TechPowerUp's gpu-z

Not sure what your cpu is try cpu-z
       (hint click on the highlighted links Biggrin)
@Koji: I have tried, CPU is always under 45, GPU sometimes hits 50-51 but most of the time is between 41-42 and 46-47. I've noticed that on menus and some cutscenes it hits 55. It seems not to be overheat, because even on cutscenes with lots of VFX it's never over 55.

@smartstrike: I did it, but it seems to not make any difference.

@dr emulator: in that list I haven't found anything, just some errors about windows update... i will try soon with other games on PCSX2 and some PC games. Here are the GPU/CPU validations: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/wphvv/ ---and--- http://valid.canardpc.com/2882580
Another possibility is that your power supply is going out, or is too low of a wattage for what you have. If your power supply can't keep your components fed with enough power, it can cause errors, random shut offs, and random restarts.

Did you upgrade your PC components lately? Or is this a new build/PSU?
No it is a new build. My PSU is an Intertech 700W, it should be enough for my system.

PS: I've noticed that reboots occur only on fullscreen mode.
(08-06-2013, 01:03 PM)Shell32 Wrote: No it is a new build. My PSU is an Intertech 700W, it should be enough for my system.

PS: I've noticed that reboots occur only on fullscreen mode.

Wattage means little, what's more important is the amperage on the 12v line (this gets more and more important the higher end your CPU and GPU are since they share the 12v lane).

Also, on a new build you'd be surprised how often you might get a bad power supply, especially if it's from a budget brand. I'm guessing Intertech is such a brand as I've never heard of them personally.
(08-06-2013, 01:52 PM)Koji Wrote: Wattage means little, what's more important is the amperage on the 12v line (this gets more and more important the higher end your CPU and GPU are since they share the 12v lane).

Also, on a new build you'd be surprised how often you might get a bad power supply, especially if it's from a budget brand. I'm guessing Intertech is such a brand as I've never heard of them personally.

you might be right Ohmy

although it still might be a software based problem like immature graphics card drivers
Not sure what graphics card you have, it's memory bandwidth,
it's temperature, fan speed, what pixel shader it has
try TechPowerUp's gpu-z

Not sure what your cpu is try cpu-z
       (hint click on the highlighted links Biggrin)
The amperage is 25A on 12V line. I've just seen a new nvidia driver update, i'll try it.