PCSX2.net revamped!
Edited - Nice Updates Tongue2
[Image: recodersignature2.png]

Sponsored links

It is a nice update.

But :
  • Source code
  • User Interface
    • It is a fixed design. An extensible design is harder to make, but better.
    • "Detection for iOS and Android, in which case the website uses a more mobile theme". Why do you use a system-detection ? A CSS3 solution with media-queries is better. Moreover, I hope that iOS and Android tablets are not on a mobile version.
    • I think that an entire white bar is not needed for the top button.
    • The mobile version is made for a device that have more than a 800*600 resolution (tested on a Nexus One on Android 2.3.7 with default browser).
    • With my Nexus One under Android 2.3.7, Firefox 10 is not recogonized as a mobile browser. On my phone, the normal interface is better than the mobile interface.
I think a lot of the restrictions and coding decisions are because the site is generated by Joomla, so most of the design calls are not user made.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

First, thanks for the feedback Smile Now to answer you:

Quote:XHTML 1 ! Why have you not used HTML5 with a XML syntax (with the new doctype,

It's what joomla uses, this is something I can't change really.

Quote:An id on a ! Why ?

Good question, I'll investigate. It looks like it's applying some css using that ID, wonder why class wasn't used.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3...sx2.net%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Thanks for that, forgot to check the validator. Index now only has the facebook-twitter-google like button errors which are HTML5 so it's not in XHTML 1.0. Some other pages are already valid, working on the compatibility page now Smile

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/valid...sx2.net%2F&profile=css3&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=
A lot of -o-propriety, -webkit-propriety and -moz-propriety are not needed anymore.

Looked around and it seems some browsers still need that. Don't think I should remove them.

Quote:It is a fixed design. An extensible design is harder to make, but better.

What do you mean extensible design?

Quote:"Detection for iOS and Android, in which case the website uses a more mobile theme". Why do you use a system-detection ? A CSS3 solution with media-queries is better. Moreover, I hope that iOS and Android tablets are not on a mobile version.

With my Nexus One under Android 2.3.7, Firefox 10 is not recogonized as a mobile browser. On my phone, the normal interface is better than the mobile interface.

Not all browsers support CSS3...Yeah probably tablets get the mobile version too. Thing is phones are getting closer to a PC very fast, so I guess soon we will not be needing any kind of mobile version...most modern smartphones have big displays these days. Still, visitors can always just click the desktop version button at the bottom of the page to get the other design at will.

Quote:I think that an entire white bar is not needed for the top button.

Agreed, I left it there in case I found something useful to add at the left of the top button Wink
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(06-08-2012, 03:29 PM)dsp2003 Wrote: This is my first post on the forums (registered long long ago though). It seems I've missed the whole "big party", but the time here doesn't really matter.

I'll be as blunt/straight/honest as possible: as an freelance web-coder and a human being with sense of taste, I hate this "new" layout and the engine you've used for "revamping", from the bottom of my heart.

Seriously, what is this? Blocky torn-apart Joomla "design" with Java scripts you had no understanding in? With huge font size and cluttered, overpopulated blocks.

Alphabetical links of compatibility list in the upper left block? Really? So people would never $#%&* notice them?!

Congratulations, folks. You've succeeded in ruining your own site. A lot of users including myself now have absolutely zero wish or reason to visit it any longer.

*Bookmarks buildbot page instead*

Have a nice day.

This is my first post here too, and I completely agree with him.
I visit PCSX2 from time to time because I've always thought it was an interesting and serious project.

And I have to say that right now looks like a joke. Seriously, what you call plain design was perfect. CKEmu had a pretty good taste. With some great design choices that were also reflected in the program.

This new site looks completely amateur and cluttered, both in composition and implementation, and sincerely, not worthy of the quality of the project. I'm pretty sorry for you, and hope that you can roll it back before receiving posts of people like me that value good ideas and correctness over bad decisions.

Also, the news full of smileys, teen-like grammar, social widgets everywhere and the winrar stock icons turn this into a warez site. Disgusting.

That's it. Learn from your mistakes from people that value the project enough to create accounts just to state the obvious.
As regulars without web notions seem oblivious to this.
Thanks for your constructive feedback guys, we'll gladly take your designs into consideration.
Deliverable tomorrow, at the latest.
haters gawna hate

and most haters are idiots so.....
Sorry to tell you but it seems you are the vast minority. We are getting on average ~1000 more visitors daily since the redesign and almost double time spent on our website from our visitors. We always had smilies in news posts, which you can easily see by browsing back to the earliest 2005 news posts (I guess you wouldn't know since you apparently haven't read any past news), grammar is as it always has been (and pretty much better than most other emulator project news posts) and social widgets help spread PCSX2 to more people. I won't even comment the winrar icon remark.

That said, and without seeing any kind of effort for feedback, I'll just ignore you people, have a nice day Smile
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I actually started to create a design for the site as a personal challenge/hobby (I have not studied design). Unfortunately I never finished it (because it was time consuming and I started to play New Vegas), but since people are still complaining about the design and because I don't want to waste the work I put into it, I thought I might as well show it to you guys.

[Image: kbuNDOcEY695xK.jpg] [Image: k1UQPZBYz10CA.jpg]

The new site is more easier to navigate and is more functional/useful than the old one imo. I was a bit sad that the colour scheme was dropped in favour of a darker one though. Speaking of which, it always bugged me that the logo on the forums never matched the navigation bar.

[Image: kez2sRUCvxuJi.jpg]

What imo first should be done is the establishment of a permanent logo and icon(s). i.e. currently there are the rods of the BIOS, the favicon is a controller, the program icon is again different and the emu features different graphics again. The only consistent part of the logo (mostly) is the "pcsx2" as seen on the forums logo, the new and old site logos and that's it.

Once those are finalised the staff could find someone who is willing to design and create a homepage that isn't based on Joomla or at least modify the crap out of it. Maybe you could even hire someone. Just find a student who needs some extra cash.
Thanks for calling me idiot while disregarding my post. Says a lot of you.

The forum has a age mismatch, it allows to enter until the registration page under certain age and then prompts you to change it because doesn't meet the allowed range.

And for your info, "Courier News" isn't even a font. Good job hiding the Fast, flexible and powerful T3 framework with css instead of removing it.

[Image: logo-t3.gif]

Also, web standards and responsible design suck! It's better use proprietary CSS3 prefixes for everything, so it looks round and require two independent JS frameworks with a ***** of plugins, including sexylightbox.

And call me idiot again, but 61% (1254 rules!) of the CSS downloaded isn't even used. So, keep boasting about minification.

[Image: 316338001341578831.png]

And that's just taking a quick peek, I don't even know where to start talking about that inconsistent behemoth that used to be called markup.

Keep up the good job, expert.