PCSX2 not using CPU fully!!
hello all
my pc config are as follows
CPU- pentium dual core 930 @ 3 Ghz
RAM- 2Gb
GFX-XFX 8600GTS 512MB DDR3
im not able to play dbz infinite world ,smackdown and some other games at playable speed bcuz my cpu is not fully utilized by pcsx2 (im using the latest beta version with all speed hacks on)..i checked the task manager graph pcsx2 was only using upto 80% all the time...and gsdx shows only 40% cpu usage ..is there any way to make pcsx2 use my cpu fully..??

Sponsored links

This is normal. PCSX2 is a highly advanced dual-core application. It uses everything it possibly can, and then signals "p-states" to your CPU when it can't use any more. This is generally a Good Thing, as it reduces heat generation by your CPU.

Due tot he nature of multi-core synchronization it is usually impossible to utilize 100% of both cores, and if 100% of both cores are being utilized it usually means the program is running inefficiently and would, in fact, run faster if coded properly such that maximum usage is around 80-90%.

Concolusion: Welcome to the world of mutli-core computing. Get used to not seeing 100% in your taskmanager.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
unless you run stress test Tongue2
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
hmm...ok ill get used to it.
but tell me why doesnt my game's fps gets doubled if i turn on mtgs mode
(with mtgs off-i get 38fps ,mtgs on-47fps)
only 10+ increase in fps if mtgs turned on....will you guys improve/optimize(dc performance) in the upcoming versions??
Well if the GS plugin thread wasnt using that much CPU power to begin with it wont increase much which is the case here (some games use only 10% for the GS plugin but others can use up to 80% in those you would see a more dramatic increase in FPS), still that FPS increase is like 25% or something Tongue

On an interesting note older versions of PCSX2 used to show 100% cpu but werent faster or anything and just created more heat Tongue

But to answer your question why dont you get enough speed? You have a Pentium D processor which is a CPU based on a very slow chip architecture, you could say you're getting the performance of a core 2 duo 1.6~1.8GHz machine. And yes PCSX2 can increase speed but it wont make miracles, if you want to play emulated PCSX2 games well enough you will have to upgrade your CPU if you can (take in count the recommended computer for PCSX2 is a 3.2GHz core 2 duo CPU which is about twice the performance of the one you have right now).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
but in dbz tenkaichi 3 my cpu gets utilized 100%
in that game only im able to achieve playable speed
(45 fps)..
hmm.. after many speed tweaks and so i can played suikoden 5 in nice speed but when entering a large place like forest fps went down to 30-35,,
(10-31-2009, 07:43 PM)nclosd Wrote: hello all
my pc config are as follows
CPU- pentium dual core 930 @ 3 Ghz
RAM- 2Gb
GFX-XFX 8600GTS 512MB DDR3
im not able to play dbz infinite world ,smackdown and some other games at playable speed bcuz my cpu is not fully utilized by pcsx2 (im using the latest beta version with all speed hacks on)..i checked the task manager graph pcsx2 was only using upto 80% all the time...and gsdx shows only 40% cpu usage ..is there any way to make pcsx2 use my cpu fully..??

tweak speed hacks and make sure frameskip is enabled.

your hardware will slow the game as well.
allthough your pentium d is 3ghz it doesn't run code very effectiently.
a 3.8ghz pentium d is actually slower than a 2.4ghz core 2 duo

also make sure you are using the latest build like r1756 or higher, 0.9.6 is old, slow and buggy