PCSX2 not using my entire GPU
I have a Radeon R9 290 and while PCSX2 says GS is at 100% (EE is ~60%, VU ~90%), GPU-Z says that only 32% of my GPU is being used and the clock speed is half of the highest possible.

I try to play Sly Cooper 2 and I get 45 FPS when looking at the most graphically intensive parts of the game, which is most of the game. The only time I get 60 FPS is when I look at the edge of the map.

It bothers me even more that my friend who has a GTX870M (a GPU more than 2x weaker than mine) can run SL2 at 2x native resolution at 60 FPS.

What is going on?

Sponsored links

(12-13-2014, 09:58 AM)SionB7 Wrote: I have a Radeon R9 290 and while PCSX2 says GS is at 100% (EE is ~60%, VU ~90%), GPU-Z says that only 32% of my GPU is being used and the clock speed is half of the highest possible.

I try to play Sly Cooper 2 and I get 45 FPS when looking at the most graphically intensive parts of the game, which is most of the game. The only time I get 60 FPS is when I look at the edge of the map.

It bothers me even more that my friend who has a GTX870M (a GPU more than 2x weaker than mine) can run SL2 at 2x native resolution at 60 FPS.

What is going on?

PCSX2 is not GPU intensive (the original graphics are very poor). The CPU is much more important in emulation and you told us nothing about your complete system specs and the emu's config.
Imagination is where we are truly real
What exactly are your settings(pcsx2/gsdx/spu2)?
I just started the game(new game at 2x scaling)and all the stats are between 30 and 40%(except UI)and if I disable the fps limit,the speed goes to 170fps(default settings exept 2x scaling and using async audio)
(12-13-2014, 10:05 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: PCSX2 is not GPU intensive (the original graphics are very poor). The CPU is much more important in emulation and you told us nothing about your complete system specs and the emu's config.

Yeah but my GS IS topping out while my EE is not.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD FX8350 4.0 GHZ
GPU: Radeon R9 290
RAM: 16GB

Emulation Settings
EE/IOP and VUs is all default settings
GS: No frame skipping, no framelimiter
Speedhacks Enabled with MTVU enabled.

Plugins:
GS: GSdx 0 (MSAVC 18.00, AVX) 0.1.16
Adapter: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Renderer: Direct 3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: Auto
Original PS2 Resolution: Native
(the rest is default)

SPU2: SPU2-X r5830 2.0.0
Interpolation: 4 - Camull-Rom (PS2-like/slow)
Module: 1 - XAudio 2
Synchronizing Module: Async Mix
Audio Expansion Mode; Surround 7.1
Hmm,that's strange,I start to lose speed(goes below 60fps)when I limit my cpu to 1.4ghz and then the EE and GS and at high percentage.

Did you tried the latest beta
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
I was wondering if anyone with my GPU had this issue. I know people had an issue with Powertune where it would downclock too much when the game was extremely undemanding. Anyone think that could be it?

Also no I haven't try the beta, I will though.
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that the GS percentage refers to the graphics thread on the CPU, it isn't related to the GPU.
(12-13-2014, 09:58 AM)SionB7 Wrote: CPU: AMD FX8350 4.0 GHZ
I try to play Sly Cooper 2 and I get 45 FPS when looking at the most graphically intensive parts of the game
For emulator - Intel CPU better. You need Pentium [email protected] overclock Smile or i5 K-series with maximum overclock
(12-13-2014, 11:26 AM)AlexVS Wrote: You need Pentium [email protected] overclock Smile or i5 K-series with maximum overclock

Did you saw my post above?
i7 4771 limited to 1.4ghz still gives me full speed on that game
(12-13-2014, 11:26 AM)AlexVS Wrote: For emulator - Intel CPU better. You need Pentium [email protected] overclock Smile or i5 K-series with maximum overclock

Yeah, don't spread B.S on here.

Try overclocking that 8350 to around 4.5ghz if you have a good cooler(NOT THE STOCK COOLER)
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]