PCSX2 not using my gpu (very much) anymore
I went through a bunch of my old ps2 games for fun late last year and had no problems (pcsx2 0.9.8). My specs:

i7 2720qm @2.2ghz
8gb ddr3
GTX 460m
win 7x64
ssd

I had no problems running FFX and FFX-2 at 60-80fps and higher when turbo was on. Tonight, I go to give FFXII a try, and I'm getting about 15 fps! I then tried my other games, and they're getting stupid low fps, too (around 15-20 fps)

I didn't change my config or anything since last time. I'm using sse41, running it in dx11(hardware)...not sure what the prob is. Recently, nvidia released a couple driver updates, so I thought it could be those, so I uninstalled the new one and installed the 285.xx version. Didn't do anything.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm kinda stuck and not sure what to do.
Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I use a gpu monitoring gadget, and in the past it would show pcsx2 using 90-100% of my gpu. Now when I try to play something, it's only getting to like 25%. Prob why I have bad fps, but why is my gpu not being utilized?

Sponsored links

You're running on battery now by any chance? Or changed your power menagement settings in windows manually to power saving mode?(then lags and low usage would be normal)
        Ok, so I found "A" solution: went back even farther with the gtx 460m driver: back to 280.26. PCSX2 is now running just as it had before from what I remember...maybe even better. Seems to me that my cpu and gpu are both getting worked less, and are def. getting worked less than when I had the latest driver installed.

However, I can totally see a diff between this driver version and the new in every game I play (besides the emulator), and the newest drivers are way better. Is there a better workaround for this problem?
Nope, not running on battery. I'm plugged in and running on high performance.
Possibly a performance profile problem...?

See if forcing high performance from the GPU with the pcsx2 app specifically helps maybe.
(in the nVidia Control Panel)
hmm, i noticed same thing with my 540m, but i just chalked it up to PS2 games having lower poly counts and such and just used the extra power for MSAA anti-aliasing, now that i see what you mean i tried downgrading to the driver you suggested but i can't got any lower then 285.xx and those didn't do nothing, i still get slowdowns in some graphically intense spots and it was my GPU bottle-necking at those spots+^_^+
Signature purposefully left blank.
me too i noticed some slowdowns in my GT 540m when i updated my driver a month ago... so does it really help pcsx2 performance if i downgrade my nvidia driver??
that wasn't the driver
it was changes to gsdx that just happened to coincide.
I got the same PCSX2 slowdown like OP before, my Front Mission 4 game was running all fine until i decide to reboot PCSX2 and use Fast Boot, the game becomes slow-mo most of the time, finally i can't take it anymore i did a Full Boot and everything went back to normal for some reason.
3770K 4GHz OC [AVX-Direct3D11-HW-2xNative]
Geforce 770 2GB GDDR5 | 4GB DDR3-1333MHz | W10 LTS x64 1809
if theres any case where fullboot vs fastboot kills speed, it is purely coincidence or a problem with game fixes (which cannot currently be applied via fullboot)
Quote:Possibly a performance profile problem...?

See if forcing high performance from the GPU with the pcsx2 app specifically helps maybe. (in the nVidia Control Panel)

Haven't had the chance to test this yet, but I will sometime in the next few days.
Quote:that wasn't the driver
it was changes to gsdx that just happened to coincide.

Weird, since reverting back to previous drivers fixed the problem. Or do you mean that the changes were literally happening within a few hour time frame? Either way, I downloaded my copy of PCSX2 .9.8 a while ago, so any changes to the program wouldn't have affected my use of that particular install.