PCSX2 on 21.04? Not working so far.
I'm trying to get the emulator running on Ubuntu 21.04 (amd64), but I can't seem to get it to work.

The official PCSX2 repo does not have a release for 21.04, unfortunately, and when I try to run the binary provided by the main site, I get the following error:

Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_core-3.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It looks like this library file is from libwxgtk3.0-dev, which cannot be installed via apt-get because of "no installation candidate" (and it can't find any reference to the i386 version of the library, which is probably the one I need, at all). All of the other i386 libraries seem to be available and install fine, but I'm not sure what to do about this one.

Is there anything else I can try? Would compiling from source possibly lead to better results? I don't want to, but I'll give it a shot if there's no other way.

EDIT: I have attempted compiling from source, and once again, the issue is that I am missing the above library. I'm not sure what to do about it.

EDIT 2: Installing libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5:i386 and libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev:i386 (as well as their 64-bit counterparts) has no effect on this error. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT 3: Attempting to install the .deb for this library (i386 version) manually via dpkg doesn't work because of header errors (as the version of the library installed is newer).

Sponsored links

The only way to get a recent version of PCSX2 working on Ubuntu is to compile yourself. Since you're using Ubuntu's Beta-Channel, you might expect issues, because these are not really supported AFAIK.

Anyway, the way for you to go is here: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/Inst...2004-64bit

This is for the latest stable Ubuntu (20.04) as you can see, but I think you should be able to get it compiling. For example, you don't need the extra steps to manually update the compiler, I think 21.04 is using gcc 10 by default.

Please try this method, maybe it's the best to test this in a freshly created VM (sounds like you could've messed up your repos).

When you face issues this way, post it here. Please do not try to manually install other versions of packages etc. yourself inside the VM, unless you know what you do, better ask here straight away. Also provide as much information as you can when doing so (What commands did you use exactly, console output, etc.)
Tired of always changing your PCSX2 Configuration for different games?

Check this out: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-MultiConfigTool
(08-14-2021, 11:12 AM)XXXBold Wrote: The only way to get a recent version of PCSX2 working on Ubuntu is to compile yourself. Since you're using Ubuntu's Beta-Channel, you might expect issues, because these are not really supported AFAIK.

Anyway, the way for you to go is here: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/Inst...2004-64bit

This is for the latest stable Ubuntu (20.04) as you can see, but I think you should be able to get it compiling. For example, you don't need the extra steps to manually update the compiler, I think 21.04 is using gcc 10 by default.

Please try this method, maybe it's the best to test this in a freshly created VM (sounds like you could've messed up your repos).

When you face issues this way, post it here. Please do not try to manually install other versions of packages etc. yourself inside the VM, unless you know what you do, better ask here straight away. Also provide as much information as you can when doing so (What commands did you use exactly, console output, etc.)

As I stated in the OG post, I already attempted compiling from source. I attempted getting all this to work (and made this forum post) about six hours after doing a fresh install of Ubuntu, and to date I have not installed any packages that weren't from official Ubuntu repos or from snap (which does not modify your PPA list, I'm reasonably certain). PCSX2's unofficial PPA is the only one I've added, and installing anything from it at all failed (no release for 21.04 - perhaps devs couldn't get it to compile?).

Furthermore, the above library file doesn't seem to be available in any package for 21.04, even though there is a release for 20.04. I'm not sure if it's been deprecated or just renamed (in which case a symbolic link would suffice), but I guess I'm going to have to ask on the Ubuntu forums in case someone has more specific knowledge of the file in question.

I just need that file figured out. If I had it, I could probably just run the binary without the need to compile - it's the only thing that's missing ( compiling throws a similar error for the same library).

Compiling for 20.04 and copying it over would presumably be useless, since I would only get the same error once I copied and tried to run it on 21.04, and running the entire emulator in a VM using 20.04 would probably not be worth the performance costs (PCSX2 runs at full speed on my laptop on Windows, but only barely), not to mention the disk space (256 GB hard drive here).

Has nobody else tried compiling this on 21.04? Yes, it should compile the same as it does on 20.04, but it doesn't.

I guess I could do a reinstall with 20.04 LTS, but, like I said, I just reinstalled on this machine. Dammit.

Well, thanks for your help anyways.
Trying to compile for 21.04

Get the following error:
/home/*****/pcsx2/pcsx2/./GS/GS_types.h:123:4: error: #error PCSX2 requires compiling for at least SSE 4.1
123 | #error PCSX2 requires compiling for at least SSE 4.1
| ^~~~~

My processor supports SSE 4a and runs PCSX2 fine under Windows.

Is this a new restriction going forward or is there a workaround?
(09-11-2021, 05:40 AM)scnix1 Wrote: Trying to compile for 21.04

Get the following error:
/home/*****/pcsx2/pcsx2/./GS/GS_types.h:123:4: error: #error PCSX2 requires compiling for at least SSE 4.1
  123 |  #error PCSX2 requires compiling for at least SSE 4.1
        |    ^~~~~

My processor supports SSE 4a and runs PCSX2 fine under Windows.

Is this a new restriction going forward or is there a workaround?

What system are you using (detailed hardware please, e.g. use inxi -Fxxz)?

(10-09-2021, 05:06 PM)XXXBold Wrote: What system are you using (detailed hardware please, e.g. use inxi -Fxxz)?
$ inxi -Fxxz
System:    Kernel: 5.13.0-21-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0 Desktop: GNOME 40.5 tk: GTK 3.24.30
          wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM3 Distro: Ubuntu 21.10 (Impish Indri)
Machine:  Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 4
          serial: <filter>
          Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3047h serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 786G6 v01.11 date: 08/04/2010
CPU:      Info: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon II X2 B24 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10 rev: 2 cache: L2: 2 MiB
          flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 11969
          Speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2300 2: 800
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia v: 470.82.00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
          chip-ID: 10de:1287
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: gnome-shell driver: loaded: nvidia
          unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 81
          OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.82.00 direct render: Yes
(11-29-2021, 12:11 AM)scnix1 Wrote: $ inxi -Fxxz
System:    Kernel: 5.13.0-21-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0 Desktop: GNOME 40.5 tk: GTK 3.24.30
          wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM3 Distro: Ubuntu 21.10 (Impish Indri)
Machine:  Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 4
          serial: <filter>
          Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3047h serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 786G6 v01.11 date: 08/04/2010
CPU:      Info: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon II X2 B24 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10 rev: 2 cache: L2: 2 MiB
          flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 11969
          Speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2300 2: 800
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia v: 470.82.00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
          chip-ID: 10de:1287
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: gnome-shell driver: loaded: nvidia
          unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 81
          OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.82.00 direct render: Yes
So, your system does not support SSE4.1 as mentioned in the error you get (SSE4a != SSE4.1).

Anyway, your specs indicate that you don't fullfill the minimum requirements for the current PCSX2 anyway: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2#minimum

I'd recommend you to use an older version of PCSX2 (I think 1.6 stable is still available without needing SSE 4.1, but I'm not sure on this).