PCSX2 on Laptop
Hi! Please help me... I'm new on the PCSX2 scene...

You see, I am planning to buy a gaming laptop that has specs higher than the minimum requirement. It is so I can play games and use it for school work like using CAD.

Anyway, I asked my friends on their opinion about this matter and they disagreed based on some points. They said that the laptop would over heat quickly and the battery will be depleted quickly. Also, I might not be sure that the hardware would give access to the program. They said that even if the part is in par or better than the minimum requirement, there is no assurance that it will work with PCSX2. Lastly, they said controlling the characters would be hard but I am planning to solve it by buying a USB game controller.

What do you guys think about it?

Sponsored links

Well, since you didn't provide any specifications of your laptop. I'll just use my sarcasm to answer the question.

That laptop is going to run PCSX2 faster than Phelps in the Olympic. I mean, just look at it. It is certainly the fastest laptop I've ever seen. It just screams horsepower and everything. I'm certain that you're going to get over 9,000 FPS on every game.Tongue2
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
Don't expect to play for long on a laptop if you're playing with batteries. You'd have to plug it in to play for any reasonable amount of time.

Laptop parts are always considerably slower than their desktop counterparts. A gaming laptop will be especially expensive, and most likely will have crap battery life.

The minimum requirement is just that; it's the absolute minimum hardware required to actually run the emulation. However, running at 1FPS is still running the emulation, so having above the minimum isn't saying much.

I wouldn't expect to play PCSX2 games at full speed, though it depends on your budget. Be sure to get one with a decent dedicated graphics card (not some low end one either), since integrated graphics fails.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
Here are the specifications for the two laptops in my choices...

PROCESSOR
Intel® Centrino®2 Processor Technology including Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition

MEMORY
4096MB (2048MBx2) DDR3 SDRAM

DISPLAY SIZE
17.0" WSXGA+ (200NIT) Clear SuperView TFT display

GRAPHICS
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9700M GTS, up to 1791MB total available graphics (ext 512MB DDR3 VRAM)

HARD DISK DRIVE
500GB (250GBx2) (SATA) with shock absorbers

CD-ROM DRIVE
DVD SuperMulti Double Layer Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM) with LabelFlashTM Technology
USB PORTS, USB PORTS(No Sleep n Charge), USB SATA PORTS
3 x USB 2.0 Sleep 'n Charge , N/A, 1 x USB/e-SATA combo port

SOUND SYSTEM
5-speaker harman/kardon sound system (2x bass relection speaker, 2x tweeter speakers with subwoofer), Dolby® Sound Room, 16-bit Stereo with Intel® High definition Audio Support

CAMERA
Built in Web Camera with SmartFaceTM Technology

BATTERY
8-Cell Lithium Ion

WARRANTY
1-year carry-in International Limited Warranty (parts & labor), 1-year battery (carry-in)

WEIGHT
Starting from 4.3kg

PROCESSOR
Intel® Centrino®2 Processor Technology including Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition

MEMORY
4096MB (2048MBx2) DDR3 SDRAM

DISPLAY SIZE
17.0" WSXGA+ (200NIT) Clear SuperView TFT display

GRAPHICS
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GTS, up to 2303MB total available graphics (ext 1024MB DDR3 VRAM)

HARD DISK DRIVE
640GB (320GBx2) (SATA) with shock absorbers

CD-ROM DRIVE
DVD SuperMulti Double Layer Drive (DVD ± RW/RAM) with LabelFlashTM Technology
USB PORTS, USB PORTS(No Sleep n Charge), USB SATA PORTS
3 x USB 2.0 Sleep 'n Charge , N/A, 1 x USB/e-SATA combo port

SOUND SYSTEM
5-speaker harman/kardon sound system (2x bass relection speaker, 2x tweeter speakers with subwoofer), Dolby® Sound Room, 16-bit Stereo with Intel® High definition Audio Support

CAMERA
Built in Web Camera with SmartFaceTM Technology

BATTERY
8-Cell Lithium Ion

WARRANTY
1-year carry-in International Limited Warranty (parts & labor), 1-year battery (carry-in)

WEIGHT
Starting from 4.3kg
Well, you will get near full speed, but not quite. The processors are pretty good for laptops. It's just that some PS2 games can be very demanding. GPU's are...meh. I mean, they're GTS, meaning they don't perform as well as their GT counterpart (most of the time anyways). Overall, they will run 2D games just fine. For 3D games, you might want to use some speed hacks.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
The speed hacks are on the newer versions right?

If I go with one of these laptops and initiate the speed hacks, what would be the max fps for 3d games?
There isn't much of a difference between the 1st and 2nd, but obviously the 2nd is the best choice. You won't reach full speed in 3D games, you'll need above 3 GHz to run them well, and instructions up to SSSE3.

You can overclock the PC you will be getting (most specifically your CPU), but that isn't recommended for laptops. Laptops already have heat issues on stock speeds.

I have no idea how much FPS you'd be getting exactly, as there are tons of 3D games out there.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.87 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
RAM: 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR2
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4