PCSX2 on Microsoft Surface? (windows 8)
(10-25-2012, 12:13 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: HD 4000 doesn't REAAALLY suck and you know it, it's just maybe the best of the almost-worst-case-scenario bag with options. If you put it together with a pretty decent CPU it can run games normaly at native or even 720p. It will be the bottleneck factor most of the times if not always but it doesn't mean that it's trash because I use it for heavier tasks than PCSX2 that my Nvidia card doesn't seem to like them and I am not dissapointed at all. The truth is that's it's not a good idea to invest hopes for it as a PCSX2 device but still I'm pretty sure there are ALOT of members (I gues atleast 40% of them) in the forum that use 2 or 3 times worse setups and they get pretty satisfied by the results.

EDIT: Checked the specs and it looks like it's actually possible to run pretty/near decently PCSX2 on it if you don't have expectations BUT it looks like this won't be the reason to worry. This hardware has no cooling and I'm pretty sure it will suck on mentaining low temperatures unless it automatically underclocks or undervolts the CPU which will result in terrible slowdowns and stability issues. Keep away from it.

so in the the end....

nope! xD

Sponsored links

I appreciate everyones replies to this thread, in particular, thank you Virgin KLM.

From my readings on desktops, HD 4000 did not sound terrible by a long shot so I had trouble accepting a simple "nope" from other replies. Your reply on the otherhand was very helpful and really answered the question. I didn't take cooling/system strain into account so what you say really makes sense. It's too bad, a compact PS2 with a decent screen size would've been awesome!

I guess thats one less reason to wait for the Microsoft Surface Pro, and instead consider waiting for Nexus 10.
Well for the price you're paying to get Surface Pro ($1000lol), HD4000 IS terrible. So rather, get a gaming laptop with $700 (easily nowadays) and spend the $300 for decent tablet.
(10-25-2012, 07:54 AM)naoan Wrote: Well for the price you're paying to get Surface Pro ($1000lol), HD4000 IS terrible. So rather, get a gaming laptop with $700 (easily nowadays) and spend the $300 for decent tablet.

Do you think the costly graphic cards cost $400 more to manufacture than the less costly ones?

Why are people focusing on the 3D graphics? Wouldn't the lack of a CD/DVD drive be a bigger obstacle?
i don't think lacking of cd/dvd drive is a bigger obstacle because you can just buy an external one not like the graphic card you can't put an external one
in general using dedicated graphics cards is better than using integrated cards. yes some integrated cards are good and can run games but sometimes u may run into problems
TBH regardless of the gpu on the tablety things, the cpu just won't have the muster to run the emulator. It is designed to be very low power, produce little heat and of course, performance will suffer greatly to achieve this.

In all the system just doesn't have the guts to run it.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-25-2012, 10:53 AM)refraction Wrote: TBH regardless of the gpu on the tablety things, the cpu just won't have the muster to run the emulator. It is designed to be very low power, produce little heat and of course, performance will suffer greatly to achieve this.

In all the system just doesn't have the guts to run it.

Surface Pro actually use Ivy Bridge, it's just a gutted laptop with touch screen and Windows 8.

(10-25-2012, 08:32 AM)Laraul Wrote: Do you think the costly graphic cards cost $400 more to manufacture than the less costly ones?

Why are people focusing on the 3D graphics? Wouldn't the lack of a CD/DVD drive be a bigger obstacle?

Of course not. But I don't understand the point of your question.
(10-25-2012, 11:15 AM)naoan Wrote: Surface Pro actually use Ivy Bridge, it's just a gutted laptop with touch screen and Windows 8.

Ivybridge or not, you still need about 3ghz on that to hit decent speeds in pcsx2. I can guarentee it's not running at that in those tiny things. Not to mention the emulator might actually cause it to overheat!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-25-2012, 11:24 AM)refraction Wrote: Ivybridge or not, you still need about 3ghz on that to hit decent speeds in pcsx2. I can guarentee it's not running at that in those tiny things. Not to mention the emulator might actually cause it to overheat!

I don't believe so ref, Even a 2GHz Ivy should be enough to run most games acceptably. I believe MS designed it with good enough cooling in mind, but at this point we won't know for sure.