PCSX2 slowed down with time?
If this is not the right place to post this, I'm sorry, but I decided to put it here considering that I haven't the faintest idea of what the problem could be.

Here's the thing: I have a new computer with the following specs:
* SO: Windows 8.1 x64
* Processor: Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.7GHz (dual core)
* RAM: 8GB DDR3
* Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 820M

When I first ran PCSX2 on it (ver. 1.2.1), I followed some performance config guides and managed to have it run smoothly here. But some time later, I picked it up again, and it started chugging in speed. Contextualizing: at first, I could have a near-perfect emulation of Guitar Hero II, very nearly at 60fps. But now, even the menus run at 30fps.

What could be the cause? Is it memory? A bad combination of settings? Outdated drivers? Outdated version of the emulator?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer.

Sponsored links

is your laptop set to high performance and plugged in?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Laptops normally have some sort of power-saver mode that when enabled makes games run much worse, that could be it?
You should also see if anything is using the CPU while PCSX2 isn't running. Even web browsers like firefox can eat a good chunk of your cpu sometimes.
If your Hard drive is really full that might cause some issues too (always keep at least a few gb free).
(04-01-2015, 12:44 AM)AndyKusanagi Wrote: If this is not the right place to post this, I'm sorry, but I decided to put it here considering that I haven't the faintest idea of what the problem could be.

Here's the thing: I have a new computer with the following specs:
* SO: Windows 8.1 x64
* Processor: Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.7GHz (dual core)
* RAM: 8GB DDR3
* Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 820M

When I first ran PCSX2 on it (ver. 1.2.1), I followed some performance config guides and managed to have it run smoothly here. But some time later, I picked it up again, and it started chugging in speed. Contextualizing: at first, I could have a near-perfect emulation of Guitar Hero II, very nearly at 60fps. But now, even the menus run at 30fps.

What could be the cause? Is it memory? A bad combination of settings? Outdated drivers? Outdated version of the emulator?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer.

It is probably your settings. For example the first time maybe you were running it at native resolution, and now you have it at 4x native. Or perhaps you are forgetting a speed hack that you had enabled the first time. Close as many background programs as possible just in case. Also, I would not suggest using emulators as a reference for testing your PC performance.
Could try the latest GIT build: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Frankly, I think the laptop could be overheating and clocking down to cool off
Intel i7-2600K @ 4.0 GHz | MSI GTX 970 4GB GAMING (+142 core/+150 mem) | 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | Windows 8.1 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 14.10 + Debian x64 (VMs)
provide the EE and GS values during slowdowns and also make sure to use the default settings.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction