PCSX2 still far from Perfect or Already Good in this State?
Well its already 2014 and the PCSX2 still run flawless in my laptop even though i played high-end game with 30-60 fps.
I mean why?
recently i played Musashi Samurai Legend with decent fps and low graphs even with the speed hack turned on it only making it worst (the bgm and sfx) or maybe freeze.
Or have you tried Shadow of Collosus. man its really lagging and the quality both graph and sound is broken and the bloom effect is blinding.
Note : not all game is supported "Yet"

:\

Sponsored links

to anwser your question : both.
Quote:Well its already 2014 and the PCSX2 still run flawless in my laptop even though i played high-end game with 30-60 fps.
I 'm not sure I got you there. Does it run flawlessly or not ?
WHich "high-end" games re you talking about ?
Quote:recently i played Musashi Samurai Legend with decent fps and low graphs even with the speed hack turned on it only making it worst (the bgm and sfx) or maybe freeze.
if you push speedhacks too high, this is the kind of undesired effect you can get.
Quote:Or have you tried Shadow of Collosus. man its really lagging and the quality both graph and sound is broken and the bloom effect is blinding.
never had any problem with shadow of the colossus.
Launch the game on your PS2 again, and tell us if it "lags" or not.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Quote:...in my laptop even though i played high-end game with 30-60 fps.
Of course it depends on what "high-end" game you are talking about (and with what settings you played) but generally laptops are not really that powerful compared to high-end desktop PC's.

Regarding Shadow of the Colossus, it doesn't run flawlessly out of the box for me either, you need to enable HW Hacks in the GSdx plugin, namely "Half-pixel Offset" to fix the bloom problems and "Aggressive-CRC" to fix some misaligned shadows (thats game specific like the description says).

Also thats one of the more demanding PS2 games, most other games that I tried run fine without any additional tweaking.
(02-23-2014, 12:40 PM)jesalvein Wrote: to anwser your question : both.
I 'm not sure I got you there. Does it run flawlessly or not ?
WHich "high-end" games re you talking about ?
if you push speedhacks too high, this is the kind of undesired effect you can get.
never had any problem with shadow of the colossus.
Launch the game on your PS2 again, and tell us if it "lags" or not.
sorry if i am making u confused. What do i mean flawless was sometimes the game fps doesnt stable and sometimes when entering some event or changing scene glitch / lag occurs. otherwise the game become slow-mo.
Performance problem.
Latest game > Bioshock Infinite,BF 4,Saint Row 4 and modded Skyrim with ENB.
Lags and "Bloom Effect is Blinding"
maybe i should add screenshot later.

(02-23-2014, 01:07 PM)Triver Wrote: Of course it depends on what "high-end" game you are talking about (and with what settings you played) but generally laptops are not really that powerful compared to high-end desktop PC's.

Regarding Shadow of the Colossus, it doesn't run flawlessly out of the box for me either, you need to enable HW Hacks in the GSdx plugin, namely "Half-pixel Offset" to fix the bloom problems and "Aggressive-CRC" to fix some misaligned shadows (thats game specific like the description says).

Also thats one of the more demanding PS2 games, most other games that I tried run fine without any additional tweaking.
yeah i know this "Bioshock Infinite,BF 4,Saint Row 4 and modded Skyrim with ENB". Settings? Bioshock and SR - Ultra with 40 - 60 fps without mouse lag. BF 4 Very High. Skyrim using modded ENB + 160 mods.

I am using Nvidia GForce 740M i3 1.8 Ghz 4 core with 4 GB ram.
i know GTX on pc was better rather than any laptop combined.

Wait dont tell me PCSX2 doesnt support optimus laptop?
Don't compare PC gaming to emulators, they are 2 completely different kettles of fish, the comparison is complete nonsense.

If you have a dual graphics card system, make sure you select your better card in the GSDX config under "adapter" at the top.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Pcsx2 is really good, my two year old laptop (i72670qm + GT555M overclocked to 750/1000 and with voltage modded firmware) plays nearly all games fullspeed or close to fullspeed in 720p, and some in 1080p internal resolution. But it is also very far from perfect because there are many (mostly smaller) bugs in almost every game.

Usability could also be improved by including an OSD (to get feedback when pressing shortcut buttons), a cheat database / UI (like Dolphin) and the ability to use different settings per game without 3rd party tools which are a complicated mess to keep up to date between pcsx2 versions. Also xBR texture filters (like PPSSPP) would be nice to have.

To get a reasonable performance on older hardware you need to disable gimmicks like FXAA and shaders and use speedhacks like MTVU as well as async mix audio mode.
To answer your original question, the emulator is in a very good state.

Don't blame the emulator because your system is too weak to run it.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-23-2014, 02:26 PM)refraction Wrote: Don't compare PC gaming to emulators, they are 2 completely different kettles of fish, the comparison is complete nonsense.

If you have a dual graphics card system, make sure you select your better card in the GSDX config under "adapter" at the top.
This what i meant your first word. "The PCSX2 Engine" GSDX right? back in 2005 - 2007?
i am not asking okay so dont flame me. just asking

(02-23-2014, 02:29 PM)etking Wrote: Pcsx2 is really good, my two year old laptop (i72670qm + GT555M overclocked to 750/1000 and with voltage modded firmware) plays nearly all games fullspeed or close to fullspeed in 720p, and some in 1080p internal resolution. But it is also very far from perfect because there are many (mostly smaller) bugs in almost every game.

Usability could also be improved by including an OSD (to get feedback when pressing shortcut buttons), a cheat database / UI (like Dolphin) and the ability to use different settings per game without 3rd party tools which are a complicated mess to keep up to date between pcsx2 versions. Also xBR texture filters (like PPSSPP) would be nice to have.

To get a reasonable performance on older hardware you need to disable gimmicks like FXAA and shaders and use speedhacks like MTVU as well as async mix audio mode.
well thats an information maybe i am going to do some research to fixing my performance problem in some games and also "bug and crash".

(02-23-2014, 02:30 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: To answer your original question, the emulator is in a very good state.

Don't blame the emulator because your system is too weak to run it.
Dont blame the emulator? i am not blaming it srsly! why should i blame it when its the only one and the best PS 2 emulator? what i am asking was still far from perfect or is it good enough?
this is ps 2 cpu
CPU: Emotion Engine 300MHz, 128-bit INT, 128-bit FP, 24KB L1, 16KB Scratch, 8KB VU0, 32KB VU1, 450 MIPS, 6.2 GFLOPS, 66M Vertices/Sec, 2.4 GB/s Internal, 1.2 GB/s Graphics, 3.2 GB/s Memory
Graphics: Sony GS 150MHz, 1.2G Texels/Sec, 32-bit Color, 4MB (48 GB/s), 1.2 GB/sec Bus
Sound: SPU2, 48 2D Voices, ADPCM, 2MB
Data: 24MB (2.6 GB/s), 16MB (81 MB/s), 4.7GB Discs, Expansion 56K Modem Ethernet
This is the Average used Laptop on public :
2-3 Ghz~
4GB - 8GB RAM
2 - 4 GBVram
1366 x 768
AMD/ATI Nvidia

and heres sample from wiki
Quote:Hardware requirements are largely game-dependant although the performance bottleneck of this emulator in most cases is the CPU rather than the GPU: in short, having a computer with a faster CPU should net you better PCSX2 performance. Some games however may run slower due to unoptimized GFX code or weak GPU cards.

Newer CPUs generally perform better than older ones at similar clock speeds. High-end Intel processors are more efficient than the high-end AMD processors. The main reason for that is because Intel processors have higher performing floating-point units,[4][5] more cache and memory bandwidth, and lower latency.[6][7] Because PCSX2 only uses two main threads in hardware mode, having a CPU with more than two cores does not significantly increase PCSX2 performance.
wait did it just said "High-end Intel Processors are more efficient than the high-end processors"?

oh yeah i have some question does bios affect performance?
(02-23-2014, 04:04 PM)Xaelath Wrote: This what i meant your first word. "The PCSX2 Engine" GSDX right? back in 2005 - 2007?
i am not asking okay so dont flame me. just asking

well thats an information maybe i am going to do some research to fixing my performance problem in some games and also "bug and crash".

Dont blame the emulator? i am not blaming it srsly! why should i blame it when its the only one and the best PS 2 emulator? what i am asking was still far from perfect or is it good enough?
this is ps 2 cpu
CPU: Emotion Engine 300MHz, 128-bit INT, 128-bit FP, 24KB L1, 16KB Scratch, 8KB VU0, 32KB VU1, 450 MIPS, 6.2 GFLOPS, 66M Vertices/Sec, 2.4 GB/s Internal, 1.2 GB/s Graphics, 3.2 GB/s Memory
Graphics: Sony GS 150MHz, 1.2G Texels/Sec, 32-bit Color, 4MB (48 GB/s), 1.2 GB/sec Bus
Data: 24MB (2.6 GB/s), 16MB (81 MB/s), 4.7GB Discs, Expansion 56K Modem Ethernet
2-3 Ghz~
4GB - 8GB RAM
2 - 4 GBVram
1366 x 768
AMD/ATI Nvidia

and heres sample from wiki
wait did it just said "High-end Intel Processors are more efficient than the high-end processors"?

oh yeah i have some question does bios affect performance?

It's good enough.

And no, Bios doesn't affect performance at all.

What games are you tryna play anyway?
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-23-2014, 04:04 PM)Xaelath Wrote: this is ps 2 cpu
2-3 Ghz~
4GB - 8GB RAM
2 - 4 GBVram
1366 x 768
AMD/ATI Nvidia
sure. But you aren't porting games from one system to another, you are emulating it. thus, the comparison is ridiculously irrelevant.
Quote:and heres sample from wiki
you made a confusion between the gfx plugin and pcsx2 core, then.
Quote:oh yeah i have some question does bios affect performance?
if it prevents you from overclocking your cpu, i'd say yes. Else, probably not.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go