PCSX2 supports quad core now??
I recently got this little desktop gadget and it shows all 4 cores being used when pcsx2 is running. I was under the impression it's still a dual core program? When did that change? Any possibility of hex core support in the future? Or maybe quad + HT? Biggrin

Sponsored links

(07-15-2011, 09:37 PM)synce Wrote: I recently got this little desktop gadget and it shows all 4 cores being used when pcsx2 is running. I was under the impression it's still a dual core program? When did that change? Any possibility of hex core support in the future? Or maybe quad + HT? Biggrin

Note however that no cores are pegged (100%). The OS scheduler is swapping the threads between different cores to more or less evenly use all cores.
If just seeing activity makes you happy that can easily be arranged. PCSX2 only utilises two cores to any real degree currently. You're either seeing another program there, virtual cores from HT or a bug causing threads which normally have low load to use 100% cpu time.

EDIT: Or what the guy above me said.
Aw I was getting a little excited there. Is quad support something you guys are still only considering, or has there been progress?
It's a pipe dream for now.
Ironically, it does appear that passing around the load across 4 cores is a bit benefitial to the FPS. Nothing drastic, though, so don't get too excited about it.

But, yeah, that's the closest to "quad core support" you'll get from PCSX2 (SW rendering aside).
so does HT make you benefit from sharing the load ( if it is a 2 cores CPU and HT )
^ I don't think PCSX2 can use HT at all - what you're seeing in that screencap is the load being spread across 4 physical cores. If I turn off two of the cores but leave HT on, only two of the bars show any activity when running PCSX2. Tomorrow I'll do a little test though and see if there's any impact on FPS when I use just 2 cores vs 4, at the same clock rate
I thought HT was pretty much automatic but what do I know?

Turning off two cores may slightly impact performance because pcsx2 does have more than two threads although they aren't used directly for emulation and windows itself is never completely idle.
(07-16-2011, 03:22 AM)pseudonym Wrote: I thought HT was pretty much automatic but what do I know?

Turning off two cores may slightly impact performance because pcsx2 does have more than two threads although they aren't used directly for emulation and windows itself is never completely idle.

it is, but windows places priority to physical cores over logical cores.