PCSX2 wiki
Why was it you moved from wikia to shoutwiki? Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

(05-04-2011, 12:38 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Why was it you moved from wikia to shoutwiki? Tongue2

There were many valid reasons for it. I'll try to explain this assertion somewhat.
Wikia once was a good host and I've become a contributor to one of the wikis there and I was quite enjoying it at the time.
The only downside for that wikia was the amount of ads (overwhelming ads on all pages especially for anonymous users). As inexperienced as I was I had never questioned the necessity or propriety of these excessive ads. As it turns out wikia was one day an almost ad-free host. They had made a first step against their users a year before I've become a contributor and I was unaware of this back then.
It wasn't long before this weird company has made yet another step towards someone's inner peace (Jimmy Wales must be this certain someone). They force the editing to be done in so-called rich editor. This editor was made a default editing tool and couldn't be disabled for anonymous users. Due to the nature of contents of the wiki (i.e. templates, templates, templates...) and the buggy nature of this new editing tool I was to restore the broken tables almost each time any edit is made. Not a funny routine if I may complain, so I complained about it directly to the wikia support. And for the first time in history of my relations with wikia support I've got no answer (those staff members confronted by me directly on forums/discussion pages were just clueless about how to help me).
It was still tolerable until the time has come for them to adopt the new 'skin' they named oasis. This one was also made mandatory for any contributor. The oasis is a disastrous mess which shorten the screen size to 640 pixels and adds an additional panel 300 pixels wide contains absolutely useless collage of pictures from the wiki mixed with recent activity and a huge amount of ads. Gone is the left tools panel and every page now contains the unbelievable amount of advertisement. You can see it for yourself here (to realize it in full you'd have to disable your adblock):

http://pcsx2.wikia.com/wiki/Valkyrie_Pro...:_Silmeria

You can also check this blog if you want:

http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blo...s_New_Look

Yes, they got greedy. They ignored the exploded out community and contributors' uproar and banned those trying to convince others to leave. But still many have left. For example their biggest wiki Wowwiki has left (and now is known as wowpedia because they couldn't get their domain back from wikia) along with many big wikis. The wikis are moved but the old contents remained: they wouldn't allow to actually remove wikis from the database and it was a wise move because for a long-long time their indexes will be on the top of the search engines bringing the unsuspicious new users to their hands. "You want to move? Go ahead and move, we'll find other users to continue your work"

Wikia is a corporation. And it's here for the money. But many corporations at least pay attention to their customers needs and desires (look for example at GOG.com -- I love them very much). Wikia is not only ignored its users but even forced them to obey.

So I moved because of these three particular things: 1. I couldn't go on with the new wikia skin (it's practically impossible to live with it). 2. I was too frustrated and unwilling to stay there as wikia's slave. 3. I had found the new host without the ads and with great but a bit slow support (and even now shoutwiki is WAY better than wikia although it may not be the right choice from the start).
Please check out http://wiki.pcsx2.net
Find your favorite game and correct its page. You may help others looking for that info!
Ow that's evil. The VP2 article you linked to is totally unreadable.
Adblock sees a boatload of ads and noscript is hard at work, too Sad
Yes, they're evil, but it's all in the past now. Smile
Find your favorite game and correct its page. You may help others looking for that info!
Sadly, shoutwiki.com (and all of its other domains) seem to be down.

Hope it is a momentary thing.

Edit: Also, couldn't you add something like "[meta name="googlebot" content="noindex" /]" to the wikia page, replacing the brackets with HTML brackets, to stop Google from crawling the page?
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
(06-17-2011, 06:52 PM)MyDreamName Wrote: Sadly, shoutwiki.com (and all of its other domains) seem to be down.

Hope it is a momentary thing.

Ah... You can say I should've known better than to host a wiki there but how could I? Yep, they're down again (but I have a copy of DB with the pictures on my HDD this time, that's why I'm not worried). And my guess is it's not gonna end up so soon (1.5 months for the last crash). Besides I'm kinda overloaded with work right now and I often find myself in different cities so I'm totally don't have time to worry.
We can relocate again any day (considering the backup I have), although I don't know where, besides they still should learn from their past faults, shouldn't they (am I not the most naive here?)?

(06-17-2011, 06:52 PM)MyDreamName Wrote: Edit: Also, couldn't you add something like "[meta name="googlebot" content="noindex" /]" to the wikia page, replacing the brackets with HTML brackets, to stop Google from crawling the page?

I think I could do that (adding it to CSS or main java script or God knows where) but eventually they've started to send out spam about new and great paid features to my e-mail so sadly I've change e-mail and the password never to return there Sad (or Smile ?).

Ah... Ok I have the password Sad I'm even sure they'll not notice my troll behavior; I just need another week and a half to sort some things out.
Hmm wait, you can backup the whole DB on file? Then maybe I could setup a shoutwiki on our server...I guess I'll look into it
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(07-07-2011, 08:32 PM)Bositman Wrote: Hmm wait, you can backup the whole DB on file? Then maybe I could setup a shoutwiki on our server...I guess I'll look into it

It would be the most wonderful thing since I'm out of variants to find a good host. Wikimedia is a PHP script (and actually nothing more) which additionally uses mySQL. I've already thought to set it up on my home comp but I use ADSL modem (hence unreliable connection and low upload rate).
I have the whole base (with the full history) in XML file which can be imported directly through web interface, importing pictures is a little bit trickier (one should run a script to do it).

Here's the WAMP setup procedure, the page also contains some Linux links:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Run...on_Windows

I'm not getting my hopes too high on this. After all this is an additional work for you. And of course it's not in any way a crucial thing to do so it's all up to you. Shoutwiki will eventually return back online and these outages may cease after this one.
Heh, I hid it on the page using:

Quote:[p style="font-size:0%"][meta name="googlebot" content="noindex"][/p]

With the square brackets obviously being substituted for the HTML brackets. Hopefully they won't notice and when it gets sweeped again from Google, it'll be gone from its search results. I would bet these HTML tags would be disabled, sadly, though.
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
(07-09-2011, 06:09 AM)MyDreamName Wrote: With the square brackets obviously being substituted for the HTML brackets. Hopefully they won't notice and when it gets sweeped again from Google, it'll be gone from its search results. I would bet these HTML tags would be disabled, sadly, though.

I'll try to improve it by adding this to a more special place affecting all pages on the wiki. It won't be disabled from this place until they'll revert me (if ever). Smile

Edit: Sad unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. <meta> tag is not supported by Wiki markup directly (so your change is now looking like this: &lt;meta name="googlebot" content="noindex"&gt; when seen by the browser) and I, for the life of me, cannot make Common.js add this to every page. I've a limited (very-very limited) knowledge on JavaScript so may be it's me who's to blame here.