PCSX2 wiki
So!.. After 3 days of work I made the stub I've promised earlier. It's the stub because it contains now only ONE useful entry (Drakan 2 on Windows). Please understand it was not my intention to invent or change anything here. It just crossed my mind that this Wiki will be much more of a database than the mostly uncategorized forums' entries. I asked about it here and there was no real answer so either it was up to me or just had to be dropped. I decided to make it happen.
It's nothing special to it, just a stub of a database. I'm already created some game articles (until letter 'G') and will add them until 'Z'. It doesn't really matter if they will be used or not but it helps the users not to spend much time trying to understand principles of Wiki. So, just find your game and modify the already present page making it meaningful.
And please correct my language while browsing the database!
Someone wanted to help me moderate, I'm not mush of a moderator because I'm always busy with other projects and cannot stay in one place for too long. So I will happily give you the required access but you must read some Wiki stuff first and understand a bit how it works (edit some pages, create some articles, look in admins' FAQs). Whenever you're ready, please PM me, but I don't think there will be many volunteers (moderatorship is a work after all).

Here are the links:

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Main_Page for the front page (the design is a subject to change of course it's also just a stub).
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Dr...s%27_Gates the only half-filled game page, please refer to it on how it can be done.
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=He...bute_guide A little additional guide you can find useful before edit the pages.

I'd like this Wiki to grow and fill up. But if this will end up in a deadend I won't shoot myself. It's just a try after all. The real users will decide if it's worthless or have a meaning.

(I will also update the first page with this text)

===

I don't know if it's already been discussed here, sorry if so but I cannot find such a thread. I am also sorry for my language it's not perfect (nothing is perfect).
I'd like to bring up the question about the PCSX2 wiki. As you see here http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=357 this certain question has been postponed and hidden (and thus is forgotten) like it's the backburner of the development team. But it's nothing to do with the development nor it's required too much attention from the administration staff (no more than say these forums already have).
So what are exactly the pros of wiki for PCSX2? Simple:

1. Anyone of you will have the opportunity to make the wiki better just by correcting some misleading info, old screenshots or obsolete problem bypass method.
2. The full-featured PCSX2 encyclopedia. Even those users don't want to participate or contribute to the wiki will also have a great up-to-date (granted the wiki is well known) source of info on every their game they are playing or going to play or even are considering to buy. So it will be no more duplicate questions for 100th time, no more frustrations, no more annoyance. Everything is clear and correct (if it's not correct you can always correct it).
3. Less moderating troubles for the staff. Forums will be forums. People like to talk about everything. But when someone asks something and the answer is well known you can just show the link and that should do the trick.
4. Great browse/search capabilities. The forums will never have the categorized sorted info which is easy to browse or search. The info in forums is sporadic, biased and cannot be easily updated. Not like in wiki.

I cannot currently see any downside of this (other than some additional work for the administration staff).

As for the server, it can be done here on www.pcsx2.net (which is even better for it's required neither any server resources nor updates). The only things are to be done: some administrator have to create the new wiki (to have adm. rights to it), set up some pages in it (maybe make some templates for pages (see other wikis)) so users can do it easier) and finally come up with advertisement here on forums.

What's it for me and why do I care? As one of the community I like to have the good info on my games too (there aren't too many though).

For example I'm playing Drakan 2 (PAL) now. As you may or may not know this one is a tricky buggy bastard. So I'll outline main its problems:

1. It has the 'protection' for 'wrong' memory card. It means that you can SAVE only onto memory card from which you have loaded before. The game required to save at certain points hence if you load a save state (F3) and played for a while and after that you cannot progress because game's asking to insert a good memory card -- it's a bit frustrating at least. So warning: after the save onto memory card every save state is INVALID!

2. The emu crashes sporadically in certain places. But it's a rare beast, and can be ignored if you save your state often (F1).

3. When the game required you to save (when you're changing locations) and the destination location is new (you've never been there before) the emu does crash for certain (r1736) instantly KILLING the save slot you're trying to save to (there are only 4 save slots in this game). This is the major problem that almost prevented me from playing this game. But after some research I've found that 0.9.6 version does not crash (and unfortunately has some different problems with video stalling) and finally the r710 is good enough to do it without a crash video stall. So the only way to switch the current location to the new one is to save the game, load it in r710, switch location and load the result same in r1736.

4. Sometimes (rarely) the world becomes stripped from all actions: enemies are just standing and cannot be killed and you cannot land your dragon and thus cannot progress. I haven't noticed this on the original PS2 (although I haven't played for too long as I didn't like the controls). The only method to avoid this is to load from the save slot. Warning: you have to save often and you have to change the save slots often.

5. The controls in this game are AWFUL! I've been able to set lilypad the way they are at least bearable (aiming the arrows with mouse and strafing with the ALT key).

My point here is that this information is not only valuable for me but for anyone wants to play Drakan 2. Also this info can change anytime the developers update the emu so it would obsolete in some parts (or can become incorrect altogether) and no one will be able to update it but the players. And until they do not have the way to correct or update the information, it will be unavailable for the others.

So what do you think about this idea? Of course it is just a suggestion nothing else. You can just ignore it after all. Not a problem on my side.
Please check out http://wiki.pcsx2.net
Find your favorite game and correct its page. You may help others looking for that info!

Sponsored links

the wiki is not gonna work, people will add BS and besides user created parts from some noobs that dont even know what they are doing shouldnt be allowed to make a wiki

and if its cut down to a small team.. nobody has 2000+ games lol
[Image: 1454055.png]
(09-16-2009, 07:38 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: the wiki is not gonna work, people will add BS and besides user created parts from some noobs that dont even know what they are doing shouldnt be allowed to make a wiki

There're already many wikis (like WOW wiki or Wikipedia itself) that ARE working with all those noobs adding BS. It just looks like that at first sight. People are (God forgive) rather reasonable.

(09-16-2009, 07:38 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: and if its cut down to a small team.. nobody has 2000+ games lol

Exactly! No one but the community...
Find your favorite game and correct its page. You may help others looking for that info!
lol it would meen we would need a large team to activly check it

believe me, some no-life people that dont get pcsx2 to work because they are stupid and set wrong settings will get pissed and screw it up or their pc is just very slow and blame it on pcsx2

you also believe everything on wikipedia is accurate? xD
it doesnt have to be "official", if you think its a good idea i dont think you need to involve pcsx2 team, just make it "fan community project"
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
yes but nataq

its doomed because most people that have a ***** comp will mostly call it unplayable while a game could just need a faster comp
(09-16-2009, 07:52 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: lol it would meen we would need a large team to activly check it

Only a handful of moderators (IMO 3 or 4 will suffice). I'm contributing to one of this wikis now and it feels alright. Every screwup can be easily found and reverted, IP can be banned. Not a problem.

(09-16-2009, 07:52 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: believe me, some no-life people that dont get pcsx2 to work because they are stupid and set wrong settings will get pissed and screw it up or their pc is just very slow and blame it on pcsx2

At least we can try.

(09-16-2009, 07:52 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: you also believe everything on wikipedia is accurate? xD

Hah! Of cource not! But I do believe that wikipedia helps.
wikipedia never was 100% aqquarate, but it is self correcting organism, "wrong entries" would eventualy get fixed.

Quote:IP can be banned. Not a problem.
-_^ no Smile Want me to demonstrate? Someone set my warrning level to 100% ;p You dont even need to be anyhow smart to bypass ip ban.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
(09-16-2009, 07:57 PM)nataq01 Wrote: it doesnt have to be "official", if you think its a good idea i dont think you need to involve pcsx2 team, just make it "fan community project"

I cannot do it because I cannot contribute to it more than 2-3 games and I'm bad in language and stuff. Besides the official here is 'well known' (without it it would fade fast) and it won't get out of hand with the permanently present staff (and I'm not a premanently present staff at all).
Honestly, a wiki is a grand idea.

And any argument ChronicNL puts forward is more true when applied to a forum than even a wiki. The only difference is that people perceive a forum as a place for craploads of misinformation, and for some reason hold wikis to a higher standard. Also, statistically speaking, wikis do tend to be more accurate sources of information than forums, because information is progressively stacked and revised, and is easily searchable with internal and external (google) search engines... instead of being submitted and then filed away into the depths of archives buried behind crappy built in forum search engines.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team