PCSX2 works with the Namco System 246 BIOS!
Hi guys,

Just a small update as I recently found this on the net, which contains very useful and accurate information about the Dongle protection:

http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/Category:Sys246

Definitely worth reading.

On a side not, here are some useful tools for analyzing PS2 Elf files, which should also work on System 246 files.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/pelv...lkit-3683/

Definitely check them out too

Sponsored links

OK, so I tried using the program Bitmike made and what I get is the same error message as the dumps that were already made of one file: "Boot File Is Not Right". So it means that it can see there is a boot file, but it's unable to read it so it thinks it's corrupted. My new hypothesis is that PCSX2 can't read the dongles properly (but I may be wrong).

EDIT:
Here are all the error messages found so far:

"Dongle Card Does Not Exist or Is Not Right": invalid or no dongle card/memory card inserted.
"Boot File Not Exit": there is no boot file. Usually happens when inserting a memory card instead of a dongle.
"Boot File Is Not Right": a dongle is inserted and a boot file is there, but for some reason it can't be read and is considered invalid.

Also notice the Engrish.
I know this might be "necro-posting", but I joined here specifically for this, in case anyone is still getting alerts on it. I'm highly interested in this, specifically for SC2, as many also indicated.

I'm also not commenting just to say I'm interested. I've helped give input in programming (in coding style) of other games and emulators, even though I never gave much look into reading other formats. I also build and program robots in my free time, and since I'm short on funds for the moment, I'd like to help towards this, if possible; if the Devs might help me get started, or agree to modify their software to add an extra plugin option.

In fact, (and yes I read all pages), I figured about the CHD file from the first page. You can "softmod" a PS2, though it's actually just writing a boot sector to the memory card with CFW. I'm, without actually evaluating the code, about 85% certain the Boot Dongle loads the same way. I've yet to copy that CFW from my PS2 MemCard, because I don't have my PS2 hooked up anymore. However, if I was to hazard a guess, it would be that PCSX2 does not incorporate to boot from the Memory Card.

If this is the case, it would explain why the game is unable to boot: It's loading off it's main BIOS, without the presence of the actual boot dongle; so the information that should be loaded at boot is delayed, or not being read as boot-able.

The memory card plug-in and/or MemCard handler in the emulator would have to be changed, or have an additional plugin slot, to allow the system to boot from the Memory Card. I'm guessing, as is, it's not loaded until it's process is called by a game (or the System Menu if loaded). So, the emulator might need that "dongle" constantly available, which is why I said a separate plugin... possibly using the Memcard slot for the HDD, to save info... possibly another plugin of it's own.
(06-13-2016, 01:16 AM)Reidmere Wrote: I know this might be "necro-posting", but I joined here specifically for this, in case anyone is still getting alerts on it. I'm highly interested in this, specifically for SC2, as many also indicated.

I'm also not commenting just to say I'm interested. I've helped give input in programming (in coding style) of other games and emulators, even though I never gave much look into reading other formats. I also build and program robots in my free time, and since I'm short on funds for the moment, I'd like to help towards this, if possible; if the Devs might help me get started, or agree to modify their software to add an extra plugin option.

In fact, (and yes I read all pages), I figured about the CHD file from the first page. You can "softmod" a PS2, though it's actually just writing a boot sector to the memory card with CFW. I'm, without actually evaluating the code, about 85% certain the Boot Dongle loads the same way. I've yet to copy that CFW from my PS2 MemCard, because I don't have my PS2 hooked up anymore. However, if I was to hazard a guess, it would be that PCSX2 does not incorporate to boot from the Memory Card.

If this is the case, it would explain why the game is unable to boot: It's loading off it's main BIOS, without the presence of the actual boot dongle; so the information that should be loaded at boot is delayed, or not being read as boot-able.

The memory card plug-in and/or MemCard handler in the emulator would have to be changed, or have an additional plugin slot, to allow the system to boot from the Memory Card. I'm guessing, as is, it's not loaded until it's process is called by a game (or the System Menu if loaded). So, the emulator might need that "dongle" constantly available, which is why I said a separate plugin... possibly using the Memcard slot for the HDD, to save info... possibly another plugin of it's own.

I'd also be super interested in having another go with this - Reidmere pcsx2 is open source; so maybe we could have a go at writing a different loading mech?

If your interested in working on this more, email me: (obviously with the replacements) bobbydilley a t icloud d0t com