PCSX2dis v1.1 - A ps2dis-inspired, PCSX2-enabled Game Hacking Tool (W.I.P 13-02-2015)
(02-13-2015, 07:06 PM)LXShadow Wrote: Hey Ted, sorry about the super-late response (was kind of worried this thing died, though I can't believe I haven't checked for so long D=). Out of curiosity, what game is this? It's a minor possibility, but the game might be using DLLs to replace its own code at certain points. If this is the case your 'nop' might be in place when the code it's affecting is completely different.

You could check to see if the game code changes itself to confirm or debunk this theory; if it indeed doesn't, more specifics would be appreciated =) I'm not too sure what the problem might be since I haven't many any changes to the patch system. Edit: Re-reading your message, errrr, this is probably happening to every game you hack? All right then--bring on the specifics!!

By the way, this is wayy overdue, but I've uploaded an updated version of the program. There were some major problems in this release that I didn't notice until I used the tool some time ago. If the back/forward behaviour has been annoying and there's been glitches saving and loading, you're in luck. =)
Hi and thanks for the reply. I made a lot of progress since posting this and have successfully made elf hacks for Enthusia (one to force manual transmission in Driving Revolution mode and one to change the default transmission to manual). I even managed to inject some code to adjust the default camera view.

After this success, I went back to TOCA Race Driver 3 to try again (this was the first game I tried). Applying my hack to a save state (saved at the main menu) works perfectly, but the game won't boot. I then realising that changing a single byte anywhere in the ELF prevents booting (both in PCSX and on real hardware). I searched through the labels using PCSX2dis and found a few called 'checksum', so this looks like my problem.

I need to understand a bit more about how labels are used before attempting to bypass the checksum. It's probably beyond me for now and in practice, my memory hacks for TOCA RD3 seem to work fine (my memory hacks caused problems with Enthusia, which is what led me down this path).

To be honest, I've started using the new debug mode in the latest PCSX2 builds, as it has a few more useful features, but PCSX2dis helped me hugely in learning this stuff. I'll definitely check out the new version.

Sponsored links

Ah, so the game was crashing itself? That's cool--especially since it means I don't need to fix anything. =P Glad to hear you had some success.

In case it wasn't very clear, in PCSX2dis labels are just pieces of text that can be associated with an address in the main list. The user can create or replace levels anywhere. Most importantly though, many labels are created automatically by PCSX2dis whenever it detects a piece of human-readable text in the game's memory. They're useful mainly because the game code may reference these texts; and the texts are thus an English-written clue to what the code may be doing. (It's particularly handy when the text is something like "loading level %i from file %s right now\n". No subtleties there =P)

(02-17-2015, 11:25 PM)ted209 Wrote: To be honest, I've started using the new debug mode in the latest PCSX2 builds, as it has a few more useful features, but PCSX2dis helped me hugely in learning this stuff. I'll definitely check out the new version.

Darrrn, it didn't take long for the official debug mode to render this mod obsolete. =P Out of curiosity, are there any particularly cool features in that debugger (I haven't found it/used it myself) that aren't available in PCSX2dis? I might want to keep a note of them so that my little ps2dis fanfic can still have a chance in the hacking scene =)

(02-15-2015, 01:11 PM)1UP Wrote: I must say, I stumbled upon this thread a few months back and this was something I've wanted for a long time. I've been using ps2dis for years so it's nice to have most of that functionality along side ps2dis. Being able to find referrals live is really helpful.

Many thanks, I'm glad it could be of service! =) Yeah, it's not quite as stable/complete as ps2dis--most fanfics are a little amateurish compared to the real thing. =P But it'll improve more next time I go on a hacking spree, I'm sure.
Anyway I can use this for PCSX2-r3878? or is there anyway to convert my savestates to work in 1.2.1?
1. Load the savestate using PCSX2-r3878
2. Save the game to the memcard
3. Load the memcard with this version
4. Create a new savestate
(03-24-2015, 12:40 AM)willkuer Wrote: 1. Load the savestate using PCSX2-r3878
2. Save the game to the memcard
3. Load the memcard with this version
4. Create a new savestate

it is for a game that does not save to the memory card. EQOA. used to be an online game. Now it is free to roam around with out any NPC's in an offline state.
Or if someone was able to tell me how to recompress the save state back to the form that PCSX2 1.2.1 can load after I modify it.
you cant
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Pardon the bump, been using PCSX2dis for a while to aide me in figuring out how Konami's PS2 Dance Dance Revolution games work, and have been assisted GREATLY. I like this tool a lot, and hope that it can continue being improved, and expanded as needed, even with PCSX2's debugging capabilities being added (again).

I am finding the stability at times quite ... erm ... not there? I am using PCSX2Dis with PCSX2 1.2.1, and quite often finding the plugin, and the emulator, crashing often when the game ends up crashing, or when something else goes wrong - doesn't take away from how awesome and helpful it is, just a wee bit annoying.
Is this exclusively valid for PCSX2dis or also for the stable release?

Also what would be the expected behavior for the emulator if the emulated game crashes (due to bad emulation)?
How did i just notice this?? ps2dis was very handy back in the day, always wished it had a few more features! Nice job! Will give it a go at some point Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]