PCXS2, PC usage and the 5960x vs the 5930k
Hi, guys!
I have this doubt that I hope you might be able to solve.
I'm pondering (just considering it right now) getting a new PC. I am a CG artist, and I work a lot with 3D Studio, doing renders and (ocasionally) animations. I also love PCSX2, as well as other emulators.

On the one hand, I'm interested in getting as much speed per core as possible, as that will make PCSX2 run better. Also, single core applications would be benefited too. On the other hand, having as many cores as possible is supossedly benefitial for rendering, and I guess Mental Ray would work faster having 8 cores rather than 6.

However, whereas the 5960x has eight cores, they run at a stock speed of 3.0GHz, whereas the significantly cheaper 5930k has six cores, but they run at a higher speed of 3.5GHz.

I sincerely don't know which one to choose. Right now I have a 7 year old core 2 quad extreme 6700 @ 2.6 ghz per core, I don't feel it would make a huge difference in PCSX2 to just get 400mhz more per core. Also, I don't know how much would render speed be benefited by having two more yet overall slower cores. Which one would be better?

Sponsored links

well choosing against those two it doesnt matter much since, both of them can play pcsx2 5-10 times better than your current quad core processor. though i would recommend 5960x since it's stp is higher than 5930k even though it has a lower clock it could produce results equivalent or some times more than 5930k.(in case of not using additional cores by mtvu hack)
if you are interested in sparing money go for the cheaper one there isn't much difference between them. Biggrin
well you would rarely need extra threads in games like ratchet and sotc but, either one of them can handle them using sw mode or mtvu when needed.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
If you're a CG artist are you using any GPU acceleration? If so, I would go for the 5930K. If not, then I would go for the 5960x and overclock it.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(11-03-2014, 04:14 PM)s.sakash Wrote: if you are interested in sparing money go for the cheaper one there isn't much difference between them. Biggrin
(11-03-2014, 04:17 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: If you're a CG artist are you using any GPU acceleration? If so, I would go for the 5930K. If not, then I would go for the 5960x and overclock it.

Thanks, guys! You were really helpful. If I manage to finish saving for this and get the new computer, I'll go for the 5930K.
(11-03-2014, 06:23 PM)terminento Wrote: Thanks, guys! You were really helpful. If I manage to finish saving for this and get the new computer, I'll go for the 5930K.

all the best Biggrin
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(11-03-2014, 04:01 PM)terminento Wrote: Hi, guys!
I have this doubt that I hope you might be able to solve.
I'm pondering (just considering it right now) getting a new PC. I am a CG artist, and I work a lot with 3D Studio, doing renders and (ocasionally) animations. I also love PCSX2, as well as other emulators.

On the one hand, I'm interested in getting as much speed per core as possible, as that will make PCSX2 run better. Also, single core applications would be benefited too. On the other hand, having as many cores as possible is supossedly benefitial for rendering, and I guess Mental Ray would work faster having 8 cores rather than 6.

However, whereas the 5960x has eight cores, they run at a stock speed of 3.0GHz, whereas the significantly cheaper 5930k has six cores, but they run at a higher speed of 3.5GHz.

I sincerely don't know which one to choose. Right now I have a 7 year old core 2 quad extreme 6700 @ 2.6 ghz per core, I don't feel it would make a huge difference in PCSX2 to just get 400mhz more per core. Also, I don't know how much would render speed be benefited by having two more yet overall slower cores. Which one would be better?

Just get the 5930k and overclock it if needed. PCSX2 will only benefit from 2 more cores in software mode, but 6(12 virtual) cores are probably more than enough anyway. It's not worth paying double for 2 more.
Thanks, guys!