PERFECT games list?
Information 
(01-02-2009, 05:21 PM)Krakatos Wrote: When pcsx2 was closed source, and new versions / revisions came out once every few months, such a thing was feasible. Now, I honestly think it's not much so. A game working today may be broken tomorrow by a less than perfect commit. This would make keeping such a list very, very had indeed...

That's logical, So to overcome this problem every member who reports a fully playable game should mention at least: the Emulator version used, the graphics plugin, sound plugin and any speed hacks or game fixes.

Sponsored links

Castlevania also is working (the first one)
Asus P5Q Pro | C2D E8400 [email protected] + Noctua NH-C12P | Extreme Patriot 2x2Go DDR2-PC8500 | Inno 3D GeForce GTX 260 | WD Raptor 74Go 8Mo
i think i should just start a new thread with specific guidelines for posting, since we're kind of just posting things at random in this thread and as krakatos pointed out builds are constantly changing and may screw up past compatibility. new thread would be ONLY for posting this info, and possibly posts for refuting other posts with false claims but nothing else, and I guess we can use this thread still for discussion. here's a quick list that I just came up with, parenthesized words excluded of course:

(this is considering all official "Speed" settings such as MTGS are turned on, and iso is dumped for faster disc access)
GAME NAME:
PCSX BUILD:
CPU:
VIDEO CARD:
RAM SIZE, SPEED, TIMINGS:
VIDEO PLUGIN:
SOUND PLUGIN:
EXTRA SETTINGS FOR SPEED/REQUIRED (i.e. custom patches and certain speedhacks enabled):

anything else?
techniqu:
If you want to do such a list, then scratch some items. Not all users know their ram's timings Wink
Video card could be reduced to ati / nvidia, ram is quite irrelevant anyway..
you can forget the "perfect" game list as this would mean a game should run exactly as on a PS2. This won't work because e.g. I play FFXII right now on a 4.4Ghz with a 260GTX+ @700/1450/1250. So I have a rather fast PC and yet when I use Basch's quickening my FPS drop to 12 FPS because the fire scene is rendered by the CPU. So before I use his quickening I have to save state, change my graphics settings and then do that again after the quickening. For me this is far from perfect Sad. On my PS2 I don't have to do such things.

I dare to say there is no perfect game for PCSX2 but there are some highly comaptible ones. A few slowdowns in a game during playthrough is no problem for me but I would be pretty annoyed if I can't finish a game 100% and do all extra things provided. So what's the point if someone get 100FPS and no glitches in game which he only played for 30 min?

What is much better is a compability list of games to tell users which games are "playable" (not perfect) and can be completed. At least I play games to finish them and not to just take a look.
please adapting Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix
Well, we might in the future do a list, I'm not saying we won't. But most likely it will be after we have a clearer idea of what to do, and also some more time. A little patience people, 1 month ago you probably never even thought we would ever do a release.

And now we have a release, a forum, we have support and allow bug reporting on unofficial versions, and even have public betas once/twice a week XD Not a bad improvement I'd say Tongue
(01-03-2009, 01:54 PM)Jlagreen Wrote: you can forget the "perfect" game list as this would mean a game should run exactly as on a PS2. ...........
I dare to say there is no perfect game for PCSX2 but there are some highly comaptible ones. ..........
What is much better is a compability list of games to tell users which games are "playable" (not perfect) and can be completed.

I agree with you here Jla. I have trouble remembering ANY game that ran perfect like the ps2. Except...maybe Disgaea. I'm not sure
3.0ghz E8400 Dual Core Processor
4 Gigs Corsair DDR2 RAM
(2x)8800GT SLI (dual cards)
Ninja
(01-03-2009, 03:17 PM)Krakatos Wrote: Well, we might in the future do a list, I'm not saying we won't. But most likely it will be after we have a clearer idea of what to do, and also some more time. A little patience people, 1 month ago you probably never even thought we would ever do a release.

Yes, time is the issue here. I am about to finish the 3rd FF game with PCSX2. I took screens of all 3 and noted down any issues I encountered and solutions as well. So basically I protocol during playthrough and I have even a pretty good idea as how a compability information might look like (includes also some performance tests).
And since I use official strategy guides and FAQs I also try to do "everything" in the game to see if maybe a sidequest isn't possible in PCSX2.
It just takes a lot of time to play a RPG to 100% Wink. But I intend to play all my 50+ games in PCSX2 if possible and protocol them.
(01-03-2009, 09:08 PM)Jlagreen Wrote:
(01-03-2009, 03:17 PM)Krakatos Wrote: Well, we might in the future do a list, I'm not saying we won't. But most likely it will be after we have a clearer idea of what to do, and also some more time. A little patience people, 1 month ago you probably never even thought we would ever do a release.

Yes, time is the issue here. I am about to finish the 3rd FF game with PCSX2. I took screens of all 3 and noted down any issues I encountered and solutions as well. So basically I protocol during playthrough and I have even a pretty good idea as how a compability information might look like (includes also some performance tests).
And since I use official strategy guides and FAQs I also try to do "everything" in the game to see if maybe a sidequest isn't possible in PCSX2.
It just takes a lot of time to play a RPG to 100% Wink. But I intend to play all my 50+ games in PCSX2 if possible and protocol them.

This works if you're going to use the major version release (0.9.4, 0.9.6...) with stock plugins, but unless you have an army of contributors constantly checking and updating a database it's a fool's errand to try to use SVN versions/plugins.

What may work better is a list of the 25 most popular games, and assign one or more people to each game. They could update it every once in a while with whether the current SVN (either official or pp) runs it, and what graphics plugin.
Knowing who is responsible for each game is a whole lot better than taking random input from people who may not know what they are doing. But then you have to contend with picking a format, getting it hosted, having a maintainer, yadda yadda yadda.

It would be a big step for a relatively small project. Wine is the only OSS project I know that uses such a database, and it's due in no small part to its massive user base of highly technical people. PCSX2 doesn't have such a userbase (yet Tongue) and would have to rely on reviewer reputation to get information through all the noise.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi