PS2 Emulator at 1920by1080 trying to get more frames
Hi all

So ive installed the ps2 emulator but im having a few issues. Ive been trying to get my dragon dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi 3 to run in hd as ive seen youtube videos. Im trying to the game to run more then 50fps on pal. Ive custom set alot of the settings the game looks amazing. For the video plugin settings i made the render-er direct x 11 and made the ps2 resolution 1920by1080, enabled shade boost, fxaa, fx shader and AA at 16x. All of which my pc can handle specs below. As for speed hacks ive set ee cycle rate at 3 and vu at 3. Game fixes for ffx videos is checked also. The game runs fine at 50fps but i want more enabling disable framelimiter makes things run way to fast.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77-HD3 (Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @(3.40GHz) 28 °C

Graphics
TOSHIBA-TV 40inch (1920x1080@60Hz)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (HD7970) (ATI AIB) 32°C

Hard Drives
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C

Sponsored links

(02-17-2014, 09:14 AM)Ark07 Wrote: Im trying to the game to run more then 50fps on pal.
you mean you want the game to go faster ?

Quote: As for speed hacks ive set ee cycle rate at 3 and vu at 3.
bad idea. and useless according to your rig.
Quote:Game fixes for ffx videos is checked also.
useless
Quote: The game runs fine at 50fps but i want more enabling disable framelimiter makes things run way to fast.
of course it does.

But if your game is PAL, it won't go higher than 50fps.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Faster then 60FPS NTSC or 50FPS PAL mean they game and sound will run to faster Run slower then 60 FPS NTSC or 50FPS PAL we talking 10 fps slower they game will run slow and sound slow.

This is how PS2 works and how the emulator works. If you looking to game at 75 FPS/HZ or even 120 FPS/HZ like you CAN with PC games with those expensive monitors it isnt gona happen with the emulator.

It has to run 60FPS or 50FPS NTSC/PAL exactly at those speeds to play correct. Turning off limiter will net you more FPS but the game will be come unplayable
Please explain further, the config for cc and vu at 3 was from a youtube guide video i dont know what it does but i enabled it assuming it will improve performance. Why is it bad to use on my rig?

I meant i wanted more then 50fps and want to now if there is anything i can change to enable hd besides setting the PS2 res to 19020by1080 and adding all the those shader settings and aa 16x

Can someone explain the difference between pal and ntsc. Im from the EU side of playstation so pal has always been what i use and which is better?

As for the game fixes for ffx videos that also came from someone i saw do it on youtube. I dont know alot about this stuff but i know a little so bear with me.

If you have anymore tips and tricks on how to improve the game quality i will be grateful and anyone who knows about the HD version of DBZ and how it works please share it with me? Im hoping its simply doing what ive done to the game settings.
Messing with VU and EE in speed hacks can and will break games and give false FPS this is even mention in those tabs that it will break things.... Only check the recommand speedhacks

and you was just told PAL=50FPS NTSC=60FPS You can't get faster FPS with out making the games run to fast. that just how ps2 is and how the emulator is

Learn to read is a good thing something alot new people around here fail to do.
Thanks for the help Smile

Still waiting on anyone who knows about the DBZ HD Collection and related
Just understand the console uses TV standard, those values are the "refresh rate" the TV works and refresh rate is so critical that if it changes the image becomes distorted or becomes totally unidentifiable, this when the monitor is not just shut down.

The emulator is more forgiving about this and just makes the game go faster or slower.

Besides there is a greater confusion about the relation between "refresh rate", "FPS" and the "pace the action happens on the screen". Some speedhacks (VU cycle stealing specially) when abused may make the emulator's FPS to achieve the expected 50/60 depending on the standard, but does so at the cost of processing the game much slower. The result is the game seems laggy despite the FPS is increased, the reason people call it false FPS despite it's true FPS change.

This is for general understanding on those afore mentioned things, the solution was already given, just avoid unneeded speedhacks where they aren't necessary so to prevent synchronization issues, your rig allows it.

Edit: VU cycle stealing works forcing interruption of EE (PS2 actual processor) so EE can send out of due time the data VU craves to fill frames faster. If the interruption is excessive EE can't process the actual changes in the game action fast enough. So despite the frames are shown at greater frequency the same does not happen with the speed things changes in between the displayed frames, hence the game might become laggy. Sub edit: notice how this hack is inspired named, VU in fact "steals" from EE cycles it should be using to do it's own work.

EE cycle rate works effectively reducing EE "clock", the most common consequence of excess on this speedhack is general synchronization failure, and the most perceptible phenomenon from this is the sound goes totally wacky.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I have I7 2600 3.4Ghz CPU and DBZ BT3 runs perfectly fine without any speedhacks. Speedhacks can make the game run worse (in traditional sense) so if you can run the game without speedhacks, you should leave them to default settings.

I think that there are ways to achieve higher framerate (smoothness wise) at normal speed but that breaks the sound really badly so I have never bothered to investigate further.

I havent heard anything about DBZ BT HD collection. Looking at DBZ Budokai HD collection it would probably be the same as the emulated game but with few added (cheap) graphical enhanchments and/or minor content changes.
Excl Note to self: learn to write shorter posts