PS2 RPGs @ 1080p (New PC Questions)
(07-07-2010, 10:07 AM)naoan Wrote: ^ Nope it will not make any difference, try it yourself if you don't believe it.

I agree with iakoboss extra bandwidth ALWAYS gets you better performance, especially in an overclocked environment.

You should really go read about computers from a potent source and stop saying complete and total BS .

Sponsored links

Yep, it does make a difference, although very little. There was a thread back then about it, and I think the benefit was like 1-3% (for pcsx2). Even if it's little, at least is better than nothing.

Ummm, regarding the i5 or i7 question, I don't think you will see any difference in pcsx2. Maybe in video editing but, not in pcsx2. The i7 might be better if running GSDX in software more, though I doubt it.

Go for the i5 @ 4.0GHz, and you'll be set. Just like everyone else said go for something in the GTX 260 class since you intend on going with high Internal Res. A 9600GT, 8600 GT and others just won't cut it.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 275 GTX Co-Op
HDD 2x750GB Raid 0
Mobo - Asus P6T
OCZ Game XStream 700W
Window 7 Ultimate
Intel Core i7: Dual-Channel vs. Triple-Channel Memory Mode
The Truth about i7 (1366) memory, both dual channel vs tri channel

GTX 260 prices have jumped up to $200+. The upcoming GTX 460 768MB (GF104) is rumored to be released at the $200 price point. Might be worth waiting next week for reviews on the new Fermi. I think we'll be seeing simultaneous lifting of NDA and retail availability come July 12.

@JTD
The price difference between a 3x1GB kit and 2x2GB kit isn't really that big. I highly suggest just going for 2x2GB whatever system you decide on. Even if 32-bit OSes can't utilize all the memory, at least you'll have it once you go 64-bit.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-65...-review/14

look at the boards the huge gap is caused by triple channel
best choice is 3x2gb (future proof also on heavy programs/games), also windows 7 utilizes more memory for each aplication you have open when you have more memory and less when you have low! example is that if you got a total of 2gb ram in your pc the mount of ram windows needs is around 700-800 and when you got 4gb ram windows use 1500 +- and thats the same with all the programs you use, with low total ram a program can maybe use 300mb and with high total ram maybe 500-600mb and that reduces cpu and hdd usage and except that everything responds faster

edit1: the same way (always in win 7) if you get close to filling up your ram then windows starts slowly to reduce the ram usage of each application you have open so it can create you more ram space for whatever you are doing.

edit2: big example here is that in the same pc with the same hardware with win xp that used only 500mb ram i was only able to open max 5 lineage 2 windows on 3gb total ram. when i moved in win 7 and with windows to take 1500mb ram (i moved up to 4gb total ram but the extra 1gb as you see it gets used by windows so i have the same space of ram again) i was able to open again 5 lineage 2 windows and this time i was also running the WHOLE server in my pc (that thing uses 1-1,5gb of ram cause its actual the server you play in) for testing purposes.
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(07-08-2010, 01:18 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-65...-review/14

look at the boards the huge gap is caused by triple channel

Synthetic tests, sure. I think more telling are the results for the LGA-1156 i7-8xx processors which only support dual-channel. They're getting values very close to LGA-1366 Bloomfields with triple channel memory. That lends credence to previous posts that there isn't much difference between running in dual-channel and triple-channel. Imho, more important is the amount of RAM installed.
well this will be my last comment on this we are getting offtopic here

more important is the ram speed both clocks and timings with some good numbers on both then the extra bandwidth from triple channel really kicks in (even if you respond i will not go on he can read our comments and find what is better for him)
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
pcsx2 is not bandwidth limited, simple as that. though i should've add "noticeable" on my initial post.
Thanks for all of your information about current and upcoming hardware, and suggestions for my new build. Smile

I'm going to opt for the i5 750 (OC @ 4GHz), but with (2x) 2 GB of memory,
instead of getting the (2x) 1 GB of memory.
I might bump that up to (2x) 4 GB, if you think is necessary.

Quick question about the i5 750: Will there be any noticeable difference between a
4.0 GHz overclock, and a
3.8 GHz overclock?

I've found a nice aftermarket CPU Heatsink/Fan [Link], but it will block one of the RAM slots on the motherboard I'm getting [Link], so I'm going to have to go for only 2 sticks of ram either way.

I'm considering getting the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
I figure that since I'll be dual booting with 32-bit Windows XP, it'd be a waste to also have 32-bit windows 7. Tongue
Are there any drawbacks to opting for 64-bit windows 7, seeing as how this machine is only for watching pre-recorded HDTV, and emulation?
I'm not gonna be doing any video editing or PC Gaming on this machine, unless Falcom releases a new Ys game or something.

After reading about your recommendations for video cards, I decided on getting either the GTX260 or the GTX460. While it's true that they are both very different, and the GTX460 is alleged to be way faster, I found one thing they both have in common: they're both very long cards. Ohmy
However, so long as the one I pick is not longer than 8 inches, it'll fit in my case [Link], and won't block anything on the motherboard, nor will it come into contact with my Hard Drives, witch will be mounted in the 5.25" bays with one of these: [Link] and I'll still have one bay available for an optical drive (which I'll use to rip all my games for PCSX2).
I'm gonna go with the suggestion to wait till some reviews come out for the GTX 460 before I decide witch one to buy.

I did some testing with my lame socket 939 PC, and found little to no difference in picture quality between 1080p and 720p; both looked excellent, especially with Final Fantasy XII, on my plasma TV.
If I did the math right:
960x720p (4:3) is roughly a 50% (1.5 times) increase of base res of most PS2 games, but
1440x1080p (4:3) is roughly a 125% (2.25 times) increase.
Do ya'll think that the GTX260 can handle 720p internal res fine on the games I listed? This becomes a moot point if it isn't at least $100 cheaper than the price of a GTX460*, assuming that the GTX460* can be had for less than $250.

*If the info I got from googling is accurate, they'll be two flavors of this card; a 768MB (128-Bit bus), and a 1024MB (256-bit Bus).
Do you think that the 256-bit Bus would be better to have; ie: will it make a dramatic difference with PCSX2, or is this one of those questions that I'll have to wait for the reviews to come out for first, in order to get an answer?

Sorta off topic, but, just so you know, I'm going to get one of those new, shiny, sandybridge CPUs for the PC that I use in my home office, just before, or shortly after, Christmas, if they live up to their hype, to do all my video editing, and other work-related tasks. I'm not going to be gaming on it, as I'll be doing a lot of batch encoding tasks and what not.
However, the emulation/HTPC that this thread is about will be going in my Home Theatre Room, and I'll be getting a lot of use out of it, gaming and stuff, while my Work PC does it's thing in another room.
The electric company is gonna love me, once I get these PCs running! Laugh

By the way, can ya'll recommend any good PS2 (DualShock 2) to USB Adapters that have rumble support in windows 7?
Dance Pad support is not required; one restraining order is enough of a burden for me to bear... Ninja
I've read some comments about the XBox 360 controller, and the DualShock 3, working with PCSX2, but I don't like the D-Pad on the 360 controller, and I don't like the idea of using the 'Triggers' on either controller when playing PS2 Games (that would be mapped to L2 and R2).
My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<
(07-08-2010, 07:48 AM)JTD Wrote: I might bump that up to (2x) 4 GB, if you think is necessary.

4GB is enough.

Quote:Are there any drawbacks to opting for 64-bit windows 7, seeing as how this machine is only for watching pre-recorded HDTV, and emulation?
I'm not gonna be doing any video editing or PC Gaming on this machine, unless Falcom releases a new Ys game or something.

install the 64-bit, there's no drawback at all compared to x86 (unless on REALLY old software).
not ys but from falcom : http://seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi?b...hread=5055

Quote:Do ya'll think that the GTX260 can handle 720p internal res fine on the games I listed? This becomes a moot point if it isn't at least $100 cheaper than the price of a GTX460*, assuming that the GTX460* can be had for less than $250.

Oh it will, my 4850 can do that fine no way 260 can't. but IMO x scaling looks better than inputting resolution manually, and 3x is the least you want to in HD.
4.0GHz vs 3.8GHz = ~5%
Somehow, I think it unlikely that the difference will be very noticeable.

The GTX 260 is 10.5" and rumors are the GTX 460 will be 8.5" (same as the HD 5770). Figure another half inch for the PCIe power connector and you're looking at ~9" total. Are you sure your case won't be able to fit that? ATX motherboards are 9.6" x 12". At the very least, I would've thought regular ATX tower cases would be able to handle up to 9" cards.