PS2 Tech Demo
Tried running the 'find my own way' tech demo that came with the PS2 when bought in 2001. What is the reason it doesnt work on PCSX2, too slow pc's even a i7700/1080ti combo?
Runs perfect on the real PS2 but i would like to try this demo in a higher resolution, added filters etc. Thought the tech demo was quit impressive for its days.
Does it extensivly use both vu's? lots of multi-pass rendering?

Someone else reported the same problem here.
https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Demo_Disc

Video to tech demo for those not having seen it or didnt have the disc and/or a PS2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqtsPRmCps

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
I5 3750 3.80ghz, gtx660, 8gb ram, windows 7
pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-1981-g820919c-windows-x86

Find my own way, extra tech demo from demo disc PBPX-95205 that comes free with the PS2 when bought late 2001.

Tried pretty much everything possible, its just broken on PCSX2. Common known it isnt working, guess the tech demo is too complicated/heavy use of the PS2 hardware, perhaps everything maxed. Theres a reported i linked someone testing on a i7 7700k with an 1080Ti.
Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Also, try using the IOP interpreter. That usually helps alot of "demoscene" .ELFs boot. Smile
(01-04-2018, 10:37 PM)CK1 Wrote: Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Also, try using the IOP interpreter. That usually helps alot of "demoscene" .ELFs boot. Smile

Ok, il try later with the IOP, altough the demo is booting, sound is playing, just everything is ultra slow, maybe 1fps a hour or something. I recommend playing the demo, you can control it aswell, very next gen, even for a PS4 in many ppls eyes Tongue  Maybe thats why its kinda broken in pcsx2.

Do you or anyone have an idea how this demo was done? I assume maxing both VU's and GS fillrate? Seeing the youtube example, you think the original xbox could perform something like this?
Looks neat. I just bought a PAL copy off ebay. No NTSC/US copies it looks like. I'd love to render this in 60FPS if we could get a pnatch for that.
(01-04-2018, 11:33 PM)Throwaway Wrote: Looks neat. I just bought a PAL copy off ebay. No NTSC/US copies it looks like. I'd love to render this in 60FPS if we could get a pnatch for that.

As far as i know it was only a PAL release, very intresting as you can change angle, colour and zoom. You can even pause and freelook around, gives a 3d feeling. Really hope this can be run in PCSX2 someday, if possible. Textures, models, animations and effects, its all there what the PS2 can do.
You must obtain the disc yes, as i made an iso of my disc but openps2loader didnt take it, nor did ps2esdl. Thought of not having to use the disc, as it wears both laser and disc. PCSX2 runs the iso fine but not the demo Blink
Here's my guess... It's a tech demo to obviously showcase what the PS2's capable of, hence the nice visuals, so I'd imagine that back in the day it pushed the PS2 to its limit anyway. On an emulator it probably struggles due to this.

It is really neat though. The visuals, the music... It screams early 2000s trance and club Laugh
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.
I tried with the IOP interpreter but same result. Demo is just ultra slow, One frame per minut maybe, doesnt seem to stress the CPU to 100%, just one core abit higher/high. Could the demo be the most intensive software ever for the PS2?
(01-05-2018, 08:21 PM)Aggressor22 Wrote: I tried with the IOP interpreter but same result. Demo is just ultra slow, One frame per minut maybe, doesnt seem to stress the CPU to 100%, just one core abit higher/high. Could the demo be the most intensive software ever for the PS2?

What percentage utilisations do the EE and VU have whilst running the demo?
I'd expect poor performance with the Interpreter anyway.
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.