PS2 controller - Pressure sensitivity?
Hi.

I recently bought a PS2 controller, just so I could have pressure sensitive buttons for MGS2 and 3. I also bought a "P2 CONTROLLER TO P3/PC SYSTEM CONBERT - HIGH EFFICIENT CON VERT CABLE" for it, which "CONBERT"s it to USB. But the pressure sensitive buttons don't work on Lilypad, and the Analog button brings up the Windows Game Bar. It effectively treats the controller as an Xbox 360 controller (which I used to use).

After searching it up, I found a few threads here from around 5-7 years ago, saying that it's not possible, that you need a separate API that doesn't even exist yet, that LilyPad supports it, that you need a DS3 controller, that you need libusb (which has a 50% chance of screwing a lot of things up after you install it), or that you just need a special USB adapter that goes for around $60 (which is three times as much as the controller, the cable, and the shipping from China cost).

So, it's almost 2018 now. Has anything changed? Is it possible to get it working without spending additional money? Are there any special steps involved? Or am I just completely missing something?

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, the analog sticks are very unresponsive too. They have a massive deadzone, and reducing the deadzone in Lilypad didn't do anything. After passing the deadzone, there's a tiny zone where you can slowly move them, but only in four directions. They work fine if they're pushed all the way, though. I feel like I fell for some shoddy hardware.
GPU: GeForce GTX 770 (Driver version 385.69)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz
RAM: 7.95 GB
Display: 1920x1080, 120/144hz

Sponsored links

Not really since Xbox controllers became the defacto standard of control and the APIs Xinput and Directinput don't care about pressure sensitivity. Native PC games don't use it so the controllers don't support it so games aren't made to use it.

So basically you need a custom controller interface that reads the raw data from the controller and through a custom api to PCSX2 passes on data that includes the pressure info in a way PCSX2 expects it. Not too many people have bothered to make any solutions to this. Nefarius being one of the few I know of (https://github.com/nefarius/FireShock or SCPToolkit -- fireshock should be better on win 10).

For a physical PS2 controller you also need an adaptor that has drivers that can output in a raw format or that does pressure sensitivity (which has the small market problem) so only a few do it and generally they can charge what ever they want.
(11-25-2017, 07:55 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Not really since Xbox controllers became the defacto standard of control and the APIs Xinput and Directinput don't care about pressure sensitivity.  Native PC games don't use it so the controllers don't support it so games aren't made to use it.

So basically you need a custom controller interface that reads the raw data from the controller and through a custom api to PCSX2 passes on data that includes the pressure info in a way PCSX2 expects it.  Not too many people have bothered to make any solutions to this.  Nefarius being one of the few I know of (https://github.com/nefarius/FireShock or SCPToolkit -- fireshock should be better on win 10).

For a physical PS2 controller you also need an adaptor that has drivers that can output in a raw format or that does pressure sensitivity (which has the small market problem) so only a few do it and generally they can charge what ever they want.

...Sooo raw input api?
(11-25-2017, 08:03 AM)kenshen Wrote: ...Sooo raw input api?

Raw input api that recognizes the analog button inputs and properly records those as well.
SCPToolkit in combination with a DS3/DS4 controller does the trick for pressure sensitivity.

My personal experiences were mostly positive, but I did end up uninstalling it in the long run and going back to my Logitech F510 controller, purely because actual PC games were screwing up, and the controller kept failing to be recognized. (Or it was recognized as a Player 2 controller instead, causing it to mess up in various games too). But for PCSX2 it worked wonders in MGS3.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)