PS3 Controller suddenly not working for no reason?
Hey guys!

So I use a PS3 controller hooked up by USB to my computer to play my PCSX2 games. It is detected as a playstation controller by my computer, then I use the SCP package to detect and use it further. The setup works exceedingly well.

However, yesterday while I was playing Dark Souls II with my controller, the controller just stopped working, and then Windows gave me a "USB Device not recognized" error. I tried different USB ports, and it would be detected as Playstation 3 Controller, but then I tried using SCP to use it, and it would be then detected as "Unrecognized Device (USB Device Descriptor failed)", and be unusable. This did not happen before and came out of nowhere.

The controller itself seems to be working fine. It has charge, turns on, has it's light flashes and it does allocate itself to P1 for the split second it's detected properly after it's broken by SCP.

I don't believe SCP is "breaking" my detections, as it was working perfectly for the past... 6 months? Likely more.

How do I fix this annoying issue?

I am on Windows 8.1.

Sponsored links

Do you have any other cables?
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
(11-23-2014, 05:59 PM)KeyToTruth12 Wrote: Do you have any other cables?

For MiniUSB to USB? It's possible though unlikely. Ill check when I get back home. On mobile at the moment.
The DS3's cable.
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
(11-24-2014, 08:05 AM)KeyToTruth12 Wrote: The DS3's cable.

Sorry for late reply. Tried a different cable. No go.

The cable seems okay, as when I plug it in it does light up as if it were charging. The PC just doesnt seem to want to recognize it.
Tried other ports?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-25-2014, 08:35 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Tried other ports?

Not to be mean, but I stated in the OP that I did try other ports, and that while the controller would be detected correctly very briefly, it would then be "broken" for the port afterwards. Blush So no go there.
You did say that. I missed it. Sorry.

And I specifically REREAD the OP before I posted that to make sure you HADN'T said it. *facepalm*
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Tried to completely uninstall/reinstall everything?

Do you have by luck an externally powered usb-hub (including power supply)?
As willkuer said, try reinstalling everything controller-related, including the driver.