PS3 software emulation of PS2 vs PCSX2
"Area 51" "Compatible: Yes - Upon boot-up, the title hangs."
How do they call that compatible? That's basically just "Intro" in our list Tongue2

Apparently they also have random/specific hangs and freezes as compatible too. So basically everything over "Nothing" by our compatibility list is listed as compatible... if we use that criteria for our list, then we have over 98% compatibility, yay? Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

hmm you're right. the compatibility list is looking very inaccurate and biased towards undeserved high compatibility ratings.
if we graded on the same scale we'd have around the same compatibility (most ratings could be bumped up 1 or 2 levels)
a lot of our problematic games are fixed in gsdx sw mode --- its just too slow and un-enjoyable to play. it must be nice having the GS chip in hardware to avoid those problems.
it makes me curious on how the hardware GS chip works; how do they send it the GS primitive data that the software emulator computes?
i guess they have a dma channel to communicate with the GS? (do they have a hardware GIF unit too!?)

it would be cool to write a hybrid software/hardware emulator like they have.

p.s.
sony's official ratings on that compatibility list are given with a score of "out of 3". but they consider a "1/3 == 3 stars" a "2/3 == 4 stars" and a "3/3 == 5 stars". its pretty misleading.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
i was under the impression PS2 games didnt work on PS3... period.

but then again my mate doesnt have PSN...
(08-16-2011, 11:37 PM)greyest Wrote: As was written, sony never had full software emulation, and they removed support of what they had only because PS3 units with PS2 hardware were too costly, not because the emulation was bad. Comparing to today's PCSX2 it was much better, only small number of games don't work, or work bad:

http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp?flt=a&console=ps2

http://www.ps3comp.com/psone/Slayers-Roy...-01363.asp
http://www.ps3comp.com/psone/Slayers-Roy...-02115.asp

While I was browsing through that list, I saw that PSone emulation of the games "Slayers Royal 1 & 2" had problems. Slayers Royal 1 at least is fully playable with any PSX emulator. #2 has issues and freezes at a certain point (SSF emulator has not such issues in the Saturn version).

If a multimillion dollar company that supposedly knows the hardware they produce can not produce a decent emulator, then that makes the effort behind freeware emulators the more worthy.
I don't Think then PS3 is Powerful Enough to Fully Emulate the PS2 so they Gave up, maybe PS4 will Emulate it.
By our estimates it's powerful enough, though a challenge.
By powerful enough, do you mean with pieces of hardware, or do you think it is fully capable of complete software emulation?
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
Sony hasn't exactly been known for their software outside of their games. In fact a lot of their software is pretty atrocious compared to their competitors.
You can't mean the super security? Tongue2
You mean the random number that wasn't so random among other things?