PS3 software emulation of PS2 vs PCSX2
It wouldn't be huge, no.
I guess we'd see a 10% improvement or so, if it worked out well.

Sponsored links

pfff just 10% isn't worth the time.
Also i've never seen any game limited by the IOP side of emulation, so why fix something that is not broken?
Complicating things and more lines of code makes it easier for bugs to get in.
(12-14-2011, 12:30 PM)refraction Wrote: looking at that chart, the only thing we'd possibly benifit from is putting the SPU2 plugin on a different thread as it seems to load a fair bit, however in our case, i dont know what the figures are, it looks very much like everything has been pointlessly spread out on the PS3, probably because they can.

All that threading would be a nightmare.

ye that would it be xD
the emu itself kinda contains >60 threads!!...some are 2,3-times available...but dunno if they are all used...prolly not

some i found...
http://pastie.org/3031391

(12-14-2011, 02:24 PM)rama Wrote: Well, from what I hear the PS3 CPU core is just really slow.

using the ppu only is the same performance as the wii ...thus making usage of the spu's + spu<->spu communication
improves wayyyy aloooot....also sony coded some parts in pure spu asm...
Its about as fast as a G5 1.6GHZ though looks like in some benchs its as slow as Broadway.
Well of course PCSX2 is better because the PS3 is simply not fast enough to emulate the PS2 in full software. However, if Sony were to make a PS2 emulator for the Windows platform, it'll probably be at least as good as pcsx2.
Gotta say this:
Even Sony corp needs awesome coders to pull off PS2 emulation on PC.
It would take them quite some time and effort to do it.
If they can get a works with some games emu written in Cell assembly working on the PS3 writing one for a PC thats at least 2x as fast in C is probably a walk in the park.
If you say so. You must know better.
(08-17-2011, 10:06 PM)pseudonym Wrote: By our estimates it's powerful enough, though a challenge.

Are the PCSX2 Dev's considering taking on that challenge?

System Specs: Phenom II X6 2.8ghz 6 core, 4gb 2133mhz Ram, Radeon HD 5850, Sound Blaster X-FI, Windows 7 X64
does NO answer your question?