PS3 software emulation of PS2 vs PCSX2
Sorry, I do not know if this has been posted in the past (no relevant pages appeared)

From my understanding there were two models to make PS2 backwards compatibility possible. One was to use a PS3 model with a PS2 chip (US and Japanese models) for full hardware compatibility and the other was to use software emulation of PS2 games (early European models)

Those features were later removed to save costs. Software emulation from what I read had some issues but very few in comparison to Pcsx2.

Is it feasible to study that emulator to see how it works so that it can help you in PCSX2?

Similar trends exist also on the Wii (Gamecube combatibility) and Xbox 360 (Xbox 1 compatibility).

Or is it impossible to know how those emulators work?

Sponsored links

The PS3 never had a full software emulator, every backwards compatible PS3 including the last models with partial software emulation included at least a physical GS chip and god knows what else that they didn't bother mentioning. Furthermore from what I hear, running PS2 games on a PS3, especially these later models, was anything but problem free.
However:
A comparison between PCSX2 and the partial software emulation on PS3s using known problem games might give some insight that could lead to bug fixes.
Maybe. Anything that involves reversing their emulation components is definitely far more effort than it's worth.
I have a model like that, while it maybe compatible with almost all same region games, It's still imperfect in few ways or another.

[Image: 2555882.png]
if ps3 software emulation was problem-free then sony wouldn't have removed support for it.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
(08-16-2011, 10:39 PM)cottonvibes Wrote: if ps3 software emulation was problem-free then sony wouldn't have removed support for it.

As was written, sony never had full software emulation, and they removed support of what they had only because PS3 units with PS2 hardware were too costly, not because the emulation was bad. Comparing to today's PCSX2 it was much better, only small number of games don't work, or work bad:

http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp?flt=a&console=ps2
(08-16-2011, 11:37 PM)greyest Wrote: As was written, sony never had full software emulation, and they removed support of what they had only because PS3 units with PS2 hardware were too costly, not because the emulation was bad. Comparing to today's PCSX2 it was much better, only small number of games don't work, or work bad:

http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp?flt=a&console=ps2

does that mean that models with the GS chip on the latest firmware still support ps2 software emulation?
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pla...tion_games
20GB and 60GB PS3s have both the EE chip and the GS chip. It has the best PS2 emulation
Certain 80GB PS3s have the GS chip. Lots of bugs
Strangely enough 80GB PS3s shares some similar bugs with PCSX2.
Someone please port PCSX2 to ps3.
I couldn't find "Raw Danger!" on the list - I was really curious if it had problems considering it has a "wacky" graphics engine.
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...