PSA: Large Frame Buffer can have a big impact on performance
I just had this turned on since forever, but I'm now playing Metal Gear Solid 2 and could not maintain full speed (during cutscenes especially) even at only 3x native on a GTX1080.

Tried turning off Large Frame Buffer on a whim and now I can keep full speed even at 8x native.

So, just an FYI for those who had this turned on since forever and never thought about it.

Sponsored links

That's because you're not supposed to enable it default, it also causes VRAM spikes in some games. Tongue
Wow, I had no idea. Makes me wonder how I managed to play the last 10 or so games with it turned on, while running at 4k, and seemingly at full speed?! (as in, there were frame drops, but I assume they were in-game as the sound didn't slow down).
It honestly depends on the game to how much it affects performance, but for optimal performance, unless you're playing one of the Snowblind Engine games like Baldurs Gate 2, keep it switched off Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-05-2018, 10:48 PM)CK1 Wrote: That's because you're not supposed to enable it default, it also causes VRAM spikes in some games. Tongue

Well Large Framebuffer is enabled by default.
Code:
m_default_configuration["large_framebuffer"]                          = "1";
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
Really, wtf? How long has that been in place?
(03-05-2018, 11:15 PM)CK1 Wrote: Really, wtf? How long has that been in place?

I dunno, since it was implemented ?
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
It's on by default because it fixes flickering FMVs in many games.
(03-05-2018, 11:01 PM)refraction Wrote: It honestly depends on the game to how much it affects performance, but for optimal performance, unless you're playing one of the Snowblind Engine games like Baldurs Gate 2, keep it switched off Smile
As flatout said, it isn't limited to Snowblind Engine game. You don't have a sized frame buffer on GS instead you have a raw memory that you can access with (buffer pointer + Y * width + X). At least X and Y are limited to 2048. But it means that all frame buffer on GS are 2048x2048. Some games use awful trick to exploit this capability Sad

We should add support for sparse render target. It should avoid huge memory consumption when only few pixels are drawn.
That would be a huge saving in memory
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]