PSOne Widescreen Patches
(02-10-2020, 09:09 PM)El_Patas Wrote: @Shenmue_Trilogy, not exactly, from what i talked with @HugoPocked, the line of "Normal horizontal screen position" it's not use.

And the value of the widescreen and the one for change the size of the characters, needs to be changed.

The patch for the Soul Blade is like this:

Code:
Soul Blade (SLUS-00240)

//Widescreen 16:9
80030CB4 0C00

//Small characters with big heads
//8002CCCC 0E00

It is included in the archive.

Best regards.

Tested on real hardware and there are several problems. First small part of bottom and top are cut. Secondly when I move my character the screen switches back to 4:3. Would be great if someone can check the code again.

Sponsored links

The Spiderman 1 code (NTSC, SLUS-00875) breaks geometry.

[Image: h2Vr5Su.png]

I'm playing it on Duckstation... could it be the cause of the problem?
(01-17-2021, 10:01 AM)demilich Wrote: Silent Hill has an interesting camera that changes its pivot rotation depending on the camera angle. There are 2 horizontal addresses that change the aspect ratio, but depending on the camera angle, one works better than the other. So both addresses need to be activated to take into account most of the camera's rotation, but some extreme rotated angles might look a bit off. As a result a little of the screen space may might take a reduction but works for the most part.

Silent Hill  [NTSC J] (SLPM 861920)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAMESHARK/ACTION REPLAY CODES
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
800C9510 0C00
800C9520 0C00

4x3

16x9 horizontal (left/right) : correct angle
800C9510 0C00

16x9 horizontal (front/back) : incorrect angle
800C9520 0C00

16x9 horizontal (left/right) + (front/back): works for most camera angles with some screen space loss
800C9510 0C00
800C9520 0C00

Silent Hill  [NTSC U] (SLUS-00707)
800C6FE0 0C00
800C6FF0 0C00

Silent Hill  [PAL] (SLES-01514)
800C65D0 0C00
800C65E0 0C00

@demilich: Great work! Still, I would like to ask you if could provide the codes in "hex hack" type?
I am trying to play the game in PS2 (with texture smoothing for comparison) but it seems the way to go is hack the SLES file and burning a CD with the changes made permanent.

Edit: or is there some way to enter action replay codes for PSX games to be played on a PS2?
@ynos_xsp

I'm not aware of the hex edit process or if there is a way to convert Action Replay/Gameshark codes hex codes.

Without any hardmods, you can play PS1 games on a PS2 using an original Action Replay/Gameshark disc that matches your PS2 console region to run codes with.
Or the other method is using PSXLauncher w/FreeMcboot to run a backup disc version of of Action Replay/Gameshark to enter codes in, but at that point you will have to have an original disc of your specific region. For example NTSC U disc on an NTSC U console. This is the only method I've been successful at with my PS2 as a test.

The reason is once PSXLauncher skips the region check once for the Action Replay backup, it will think it has properly loaded the disc but once you load your game backup disc or original disc from a different region to run codes with, Action Replay/Gameshark itself will not skip another region check. There may be some disc versions that let you run a skip region check but I'm not aware.

I just use a PS1 console SCPH 7000 and below and use the Parallel IO port with a Gameshark/Action Replay module. There are different methods with these type of modules to run backups or original discs from other regions, but are successful at running them with codes at the same time.

If you do hex edit a game you can run the backup with PSXLauncher on a PS2.
(03-21-2021, 04:18 PM)demilich Wrote: @ynos_xsp

I'm not aware of the hex edit process or if there is a way to convert Action Replay/Gameshark codes hex codes.

Without any hardmods, you can play PS1 games on a PS2 using an original Action Replay/Gameshark disc that matches your PS2 console region to run codes with.
Or the other method is using PSXLauncher w/FreeMcboot to run a backup disc version of of Action Replay/Gameshark to enter codes in, but at that point you will have to have an original disc of your specific region. For example NTSC U disc on an NTSC U console. This is the only method I've been successful at with my PS2 as a test.

The reason is once PSXLauncher skips the region check once for the Action Replay backup, it will think it has properly loaded the disc but once you load your game backup disc or original disc from a different region to run codes with, Action Replay/Gameshark itself will not skip another region check. There may be some disc versions that let you run a skip region check but I'm not aware.

I just use a PS1 console SCPH 7000 and below and use the Parallel IO port with a Gameshark/Action Replay module. There are different methods with these type of modules to run backups or original discs from other regions, but are successful at running them with codes at the same time.

If you do hex edit a game you can run the backup with PSXLauncher on a PS2.

@demilich:

Thanks for your reply and all the advice.

Yes, I have managed to use a back-up of disc2 of AR2V2 to successfully enter codes for ps1 games and then play the back-up disc of the game by means of swap trick.

(Of course this also means that owning the real discs of ARV2 and game must work, provided everything is the same region.)

I had great expectations about the use of PS2 texture filtering for ps1 games but I was kind of disappointed. In some games an outline shows up, colors change, and sometimes the textures becomes very blurry and sharpness is lost.
On the other hand I noticed that PS2 dithering for ps1 games is just terrible so I have to agree that the best is to use the original ps1 and an external cart to enter codes. However, Alien Resurrection did look better with texture filtering and the dithering disabled. Any plans for a widescreen hack for it? Wink
(03-16-2021, 05:27 PM)odioregistrarme Wrote: The Spiderman 1 code (NTSC, SLUS-00875) breaks geometry.

[Image: h2Vr5Su.png]

I'm playing it on Duckstation... could it be the cause of the problem?

@odioregistrarme, this was the first version of the patch to disguise the graphical defects of the game that occur
in the POPS emulator for PS2, and it is likely to cause these problems in the rest of the emulators.
Also i'm not sure if one of the codes puts the game on a true widescreen, i would have to check everything and
maybe the two Spider-Man patches have to be removed from the archive.

Best regards.
(07-11-2014, 07:35 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: 2. Set a range of search of 00A8B6A0 to 00C8B69F

If I use the cheat engine built in an emulator like Duckstation, I have to use the real addresses 80000000 to 809FFFFF, right?

(04-05-2021, 09:38 PM)El_Patas Wrote: @odioregistrarme, this was the first version of the patch to disguise the graphical defects of the game that occur
in the POPS emulator for PS2, and it is likely to cause these problems in the rest of the emulators.
Also i'm not sure if one of the codes puts the game on a true widescreen, i would have to check everything and
maybe the two Spider-Man patches have to be removed from the archive.

Best regards.

Thanks for your answer. Maybe I'll try to create my own cheats later.

I think if there are cheats exclusive for certain emulators, the name of the emulator should be mentioned in its name or folder (or gather them in a different RAR) among its date or version.
(04-08-2021, 03:33 PM)odioregistrarme Wrote: Thanks for your answer. Maybe I'll try to create my own cheats later.

I think if there are cheats exclusive for certain emulators, the name of the emulator should be mentioned in its name or folder (or gather them in a different RAR) among its date or version.

@odioregistrarme, you are right, although if i remember well i only put those two, and thinking that it would not affect the graphics in
other emulators, i have already removed them from the archive, sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards.
South Park NTSC U

4x3

16x9

Widescreen code + dither off (for ps1 console)

#South Park [NTSC-U] (SLUS-00936)
//Widescreen 1
800C87B8 0C00

//Widescreen 2
800C87F8 0C00

//Dither off
8005AD0C 0000
8005C2D4 0000
80068D20 0000
(03-25-2021, 10:32 PM)ynos_xsp Wrote: @demilich:

Thanks for your reply and all the advice.

Yes, I have managed to use a back-up of disc2 of AR2V2 to successfully enter codes for ps1 games and then play the back-up disc of the game by means of swap trick.

(Of course this also means that owning the real discs of ARV2 and game must work, provided everything is the same region.)

I had great expectations about the use of PS2 texture filtering for ps1 games but I was kind of disappointed. In some games an outline shows up, colors change, and sometimes the textures becomes very blurry and sharpness is lost.
On the other hand I noticed that PS2 dithering for ps1 games is just terrible so I have to agree that the best is to use the original ps1 and an external cart to enter codes. However, Alien Resurrection did look better with texture filtering and the dithering disabled. Any plans for a widescreen hack for it? Wink

Not sure what region you live in but using the HD Retrovision Sega Genesis Component cables w/ the PS1 adapter looks really good on a CRT or on a Flat screen Tv assuming you are using a line doubler or scaler like the OSSC or Retrotink to help with video input if your tv only has hdmi or does not properly accept 240p.
I use an HDTV CRT that is widescreen and that is what I use my Playstation console to run widescreen and dither off codes. Looks pretty good.

One thing to note is that on the PS1, dithering becomes much more visible as you increase the video quality output. On a CRT using composite, its barely noticeable, but once you start using S-Video or RGB, it starts to become much more visible.

I have tried to look at codes for Alien Resurrection but have not found any horizontal values, only vertical I think. It has been a while so may try it once again.
I probably would look nice with widescreen and a dither off code I found a while back.