PSOne Widescreen Patches
Xenogears is cool, I'd really love to replay it sometime.

Last time I did however, it looked terrible. The sprites, that is. I mean terrible in an unfixable way. I tried every filter available at the time...on my 17'' Monitor, it was fine. On my 24'' Monitor, I could literally see the individual pixels...on my 27'', I don't even want to think about it.

I made it to the second disc, but man I liked that game. I am a sucker for customizable mech games.

Sad to hear about BoF4, I love that game so much, and playing it Widescreen and not stretched would've ruled.

Alundra 2 is another I wish to replay sometime. It's a 3D based game, so if it hasn't been, I think it'd be possible.

Also, what is this new PS1 emulator everyone is talking about? PSXCR?  I hear it is better than the older ones / makes the games look better.
|| Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHZ || Gigabyte AUROS 1080 Ti 11GB @ 2050MHZ/12GHZ Memory || 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHZ || 1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD + 128GB 830 SSD || 4TB HDD + 1TB HDD || Windows 10 64-bit Professional || EVGA G3 850w PSU || MB: Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 ||

Sponsored links

(11-27-2015, 08:15 PM)Mkilbride Wrote: Also, what is this new PS1 emulator everyone is talking about? PSXCR?  I hear it is better than the older ones / makes the games look better.

PCSXR has a built in widescreen hack, GTE accuracy, and you can xBRZ the textures.

The widescreen is not that great, almost all games have serious missing poly type issues outside the 4:3 Windows. Hence why this thread is awesome.

GTE accuracy is either really good or not useful depending on the game. In the games it's useful for, it stops the polygon wobbling caused by the lack of floating point unit in the PSXs Geometry Transformation Engine.

xBRZ is actually available on other emus too, using the Pete's OGL2 Tweaks plugin. But most of that plugins features (like GTE accuracy) are PCSXR specific, so yeah.

I was an ePSXe user for a long time but GTE accuracy got me to switch. PCSXR is pretty legit. It's just a more worked on version of the old PCSX which has changed "ownership" quite a few times now.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I just tried PCSXR out in a few games. It ran worse than ePSXe =/ I ran into performance issues. My FPS fluxed wildly.  I think ePSXe still has it beat. It feels too bare-bones.  

GTE accuracy is cool and all though.

Googling about GTE Accuracy hack, it only works at native resolution =/
|| Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHZ || Gigabyte AUROS 1080 Ti 11GB @ 2050MHZ/12GHZ Memory || 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHZ || 1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD + 128GB 830 SSD || 4TB HDD + 1TB HDD || Windows 10 64-bit Professional || EVGA G3 850w PSU || MB: Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 ||
(11-28-2015, 12:04 AM)Mkilbride Wrote: Googling about GTE Accuracy hack, it only works at native resolution =/

Hmm. Source? It works for me at upscaled resolutions.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-27-2015, 07:40 PM)Devina Wrote: The lack of Xenogears in this thread makes me sad. Sad

The game is only partially widescreen hack compatible in the PCSXR emulator. The 3D environments are fine in widescreen. However, some of the HUD (like text and portraits) is stretched. In addition, the world map environments need a render fix and the world mini-map becomes inaccurate in widescreen.

Tried many times with no result. :/

(11-28-2015, 12:04 AM)Mkilbride Wrote: Googling about GTE Accuracy hack, it only works at native resolution =/

Not true. Note that it's PCSX-r only though, there's a feature handshake mechanism going on between the plugin and the core emulator. You can't do it on ePSXe at the moment. The only problem on higher resolutions is that you will notice more easily the missing subpixel calculation which might be mistaken as that inaccuracy/wobly effect but it's a different issue.
So it fixes the wobbly effect, but breaks another thing and adds a wobbly effect?

I didn't notice much difference on & off.
(11-28-2015, 02:59 AM)Mkilbride Wrote: So it fixes the wobbly effect, but breaks another thing and adds a wobbly effect?

I didn't notice much difference on & off.

No, he was saying that very upscaled resolution a different but similar issue offsets the benefit of GTE accuracy sometimes.
(11-28-2015, 04:28 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: No, he was saying that very upscaled resolution a different but similar issue offsets the benefit of GTE accuracy sometimes.

It's still there in native resolution, it's just that PS1's resolution is so low you don't know exactly what you're looking at when this happens.
Like check in Crash games Crash's eyes in his idle animation. While he is breathing his eyeballs change size depending on the height line the are rendered.
If you make it go frame-by-frame it goes like: normal, smaller, smaller, smaller, POP! big, smaller, smaller, smaller... ... and that loops. It just rounds harshly pixels to a smaller value until it reaches a value that suddently rounds them to a higher value. That transition from a round to smaller value to round to higher value creates that POP! effect which kinda looks like the wobbly effect. It's not the same thing though, the one has to do with polygons and textures while the other has to do with with your scene being sampled and transfered to framebuffer for projection. Both though are a result of PS1's absence of (proper?) floating point calculations, it's in a way mathematical artifacting. Now judging from what the GTE accuracy hack does, I'd be surprised if nobody is working on a subpixel calculation accuracy hack, it's pretty like the same thing/idea just applied on a different part of the emulation process.
ePSXe for Android has "enhanced subpixel precision" which may be what you are talking about.

As for the effect itself I know it well. Playing FFIX in HD, in battle when the characters are far from the camera they literally sort of scramble all over themselves as the vertices snap to the 320x240ish integer framebuffer. It's really off putting and makes it hard to play poly based games in HD.
I made an animation of the issue really dumbed down so everybody can get it:

NORMAL CALCULATION:
[Image: 2qbzq01.jpg]

PS1 CALCULATION:
[Image: 2zofchy.jpg]