PSX Mode Unofficial Compatibility List
(12-10-2017, 09:38 PM)rama Wrote: The problem in FF8 appears to be with the GPU DMA, same as with most other titles. The emulation itself there is buggy, leading to broken packets.
I'm hoping user wisi returns one day and updates it. He has a good chance of being able to fix it.

Oh, DMA2. Linked list or Block DMA?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

Sponsored links

Sledstorm (NTSC/U) is playable but missing CDDA background music(other sounds do seem to mostly work.) Other than that and the gameplay speed being slightly off(like many PSX titles) it works pretty darn well. It was the first PSX mode game I tested! It works with IOP interpreter, but I think it also works with the recompiler(edit: yes). It's been a while since I tested and I can't quite remember.

On the FF8 subject I got as far as completing the fire cavern battle with Ifrit with IOP interpreter. There were broken graphics and freezes all over the place though and I had to use mad save states to get that far. I'm guessing that's the DMA issue.

Crash Bandicoot 2 (NTSC/U) seems playable but runs somewhat too fast and has mild graphical glitches:

I recall that Tekken 3 might work with IOP interpreter... but I'll have to test it again to see. Again, it's been a while.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Quote:Oh, DMA2. Linked list or Block DMA?
It's not just a particular bad DMA channel. Check pgif.cpp. It has all the info on what we know about this device.
Most problems in the current emulation are in that file. If you want to see the effect of it, try modifying "#define PGIF_DAT_RB_SZ 0x20000".
But different sizes won't be enough to fix the issues. The code misses something / does something wrong.
We probably need wisi with his reverse engineering knowledge of this device.
I noticed that running any PSX game directly from a disk seems to result in single digits framerates after booting. That's something to look into as well. It seems the correlation is related to heavy disk access and the `CD Autopausing Read` from the console.
RC Helicopter (SLUS 01376) is fully playable

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (SLUS 01066) is ingame

Gran Turismo (SCUS 94194) Is Playable with broken graphics

Suikoden (SLUS 00292) is Playable
Just some notes:

Made a small correction to Alien Trilogy - it doesn't need the IOP interpreter to run. I'm not sure what Atomic had in his config that may have been causing problems.

So far, two games in particular seem to have issues with sprites being ever-so-slightly transparent - which are Knockout Kings and Alien Trilogy (just the viewmodel)

It seems that the GIF FIFO may have a bigger role in compatibility later, these two error messages are somewhat common
Code:
<<<<<<HUNG timeout=0:0:1>>>>>>
PGIF=0010002c STAT=52802000 code=89(59)
d1_chcr=70000045 vif1_stat=00000040 gif_stat=00000000
stack_check=76543210|76543210
get gfifo timeout 0010002c 52802000 1

Code:
VIF1 FBRST While GIF Path2 is waiting for data!

Also added Knockout Kings, Frogger and Wipeout to the list.
Darn, Silent Hill doesn't work Sad
Yeah, Castlevania Symphony of the Night is broken for some reason. Checks bit 28 of the gpu stat register and gets in an infinite loop.
Final fantasy IX [US] [Broken]: Totally broken regardless of re compiler or interpreter in iop

Final fantasy VII [US] [ingame]: Works perfectly can save and load etc, in re compiler there's a few audio channels that are emulated slightly better then interpreter making a minutely better sound from final fantasy vii but more graphical glitches are inherent in re compiler vs interpreter.

Star Wars Rebel Assualt II [US] [Menus]: This game is broken except for menu's ingame is totally black but audio is there.

Medievil [US] [ingame]: This game plain works except for background audio / voice acting. Sir dan's voice can be heard ingame though and most sound effects are present. The save / load function's are working perfectly as of the latest build.

Soul Blade [US] [Menus]: get's to menus then crash

Klonoa - Door to Phantomile [US] [playable]: used to have memory card issues now with the latest build slowing cd read speed and ps1 clock speed those issues are gone
So.. Not to bother anyone or go OT, but given "this project" last PR, I was wondering if any of you gentlemen had some idea for the creation of a filesystem on PS1 memory cards
(last remaning stopper for PSXLinux afaik)