Particular Slowdown Final Fantasy X [NTSC-J]
Hello everyone!

First of all I want to say that this emulator runs like a dream and I am totally fascinated how people managed to get this emulator developed this far. Thank you very much for all your efforts! Keep it up! This emulator is really fun!

To my problem: In the japanese version of Final Fantasy X I always get a slowdown during the visual effects of the "Fire"-magic (not fira or figa) and especially during the scene where Ifrit loads a great fireball out of his mouth. Also the magic "Gravite" (also known as "Demi") causes that slowdown. FPS are dropping from 60 to 40-20 at these effects.

Could it be that a special visual effect that appears in all of those mentioned situations above is causing this slowdown? Or is it maybe my settings?

Here are my plugins and settings:

plugins

pcsx2 r1040
gsdx 1006 0.1.15 SSSE3
spu2-x 1.10
SSSPSX PAD 1.60
Linuz Iso CDVD 0.8.0

Settings

CPU Frame Limiting - Limit and all four boxes checked

Speed Hacks - x1,5 Cycle Rate; VU Cycle Stealing off; all four boxes checked

Advanced Options - EE Recs Options: Round Mode - Chop Zero
Clamp Mode - None
Flush to Zero & Denormals are zero

Vu Recs options - same as in EE recs options.

My system specs are listed in my signature.

It would be really great if somebody could help me out at this issue.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My OS is Windows Vista with Service Pack 1
Hardware specs:
Dell XPS M1730
Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2,6 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GT SLI
4 GB RAM
Windows Vista SP2 32 Bit

Sponsored links

it's a special effect. mine drops to 5 for about 80 frames Angry that spell is so intense graphically that I don't think ANY pc can handle it without any kind of strain right now.
I dunno, it never dropped for me when I played FFX.
use the gdsx 1.1.7 with native or use your actual gdsx but with resolution 512 x 512 or other
MotherBoard:P965 Platinium Series MS-7238(V1.x)
Cpu:Intel Core Duo 6300 @1,86 Ghz
SVGA:GeForce 7100 GS [128 mega(512 chace memory)]
Ram:2,00 Giga
It's your slow graphics cards. My 9800 GTX doesn't slow down at all...so as Sir_Alex pointed out,the best way to reduce it is use an older gsdx (that stresses your cpu more than your gpu) and a lower native resolution
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-24-2009, 12:21 AM)Bositman Wrote: It's your slow graphics cards. My 9800 GTX doesn't slow down at all...so as Sir_Alex pointed out,the best way to reduce it is use an older gsdx (that stresses your cpu more than your gpu) and a lower native resolution

but for only the one effect/attack? hit the CPU harder than it already is? seems a little pointless to me.
Well it all depends,if you have a fast processor that can take the extra load use that, since you can get the speedup in those effects without a speed hit on the rest of the game. It all depends on the PC specs you are running it
[Image: newsig.jpg]
neither of us do I don't think.(2.2 vs 2.4 = not much difference) I just call it a one-hit wonder and live with the drop for the one attack. the rest of the game teeters on 50-60 so it's fine there
I forgot to say that my resolution already IS checked native.. I'm using directx 10 set on hardware mode.

But many thanks for your fast and plenty replies. I will try to use the older gsdx 1.1.7 plugin. At least I know that this issue is not caused due to the wrong settings in the emu now!

Thanks @ all!
Hardware specs:
Dell XPS M1730
Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2,6 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GT SLI
4 GB RAM
Windows Vista SP2 32 Bit
(04-24-2009, 01:28 AM)Kenny Wrote: I forgot to say that my resolution already IS checked native.. I'm using directx 10 set on hardware mode.

But many thanks for your fast and plenty replies. I will try to use the older gsdx 1.1.7 plugin. At least I know that this issue is not caused due to the wrong settings in the emu now!

Thanks @ all!

if your CPU can take it, mine seems to struggle sometimes. demi is the only one that hits my fps, so I just let that go. Demi isn't that long of a spell anyway. ultima... don't even get me started...