Pcsx2 for android
(06-09-2017, 01:09 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: ^
Also, in the last 3 pages of /r/emulation I've only seen GC games running under dolphin's android port. Many of those games on't even hit near full speed on a snapdragon 820. PS2 games will run like ***** on a phone for the foreseeable future

Here's one example of high end Wii games running extremely well on Xiaomi Mi 6 https://youtu.be/XkQgpDAH3jU I know it's Snapdragon 835 but nevertheless still very impressive.

Sponsored links

That's on brand new hardware running an unknown dolphin config. It's impressive but who knows what the emulated CPU is running at.

Also, the PS2 and wii architectures aren't very similar. On the PC side the Wii is a good bit easier to emulate in comparison to the PS2. I'd imagine you'd have a similar story on android as well.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
What makes it even more impressive is that this still early stage of Dolphin development on Android. Even if PS2 emulation might be more demanding and resource heavy, by the time it's realised on Android the hardware should be easily capable enough.
(06-09-2017, 01:45 AM)Programmer Wrote: What makes it even more impressive is that this still early stage of Dolphin development on Android. Even if PS2 emulation might be more demanding and resource heavy, by the time it's realised on Android the hardware should be easily capable enough.

Is is realised, since Play ! does it.
this thread isn't about ps2 emulation oin android, but pcsx2 on android.
Since pcsx2 aims at accuracy just like higan or xebra, porting it on android isn't something that would be worth the shot for a long time.

just an advice, though.
avoid at all cost comparing Dolphin & pcsx2. any basic programmer knows it's a mere nonsense.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-09-2017, 06:49 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Is is realised, since Play !  does it.

And even this is only in a barely workable state and only because it was thought of from basically the ground up. I think people think "porting" means "change 3 lines of code and recompile" sometimes @_@ Porting is sometimes harder than writing for the target from scratch, it depends on many things.

Also it's only very recently that most laptops have handled PCSX2 well. Where currently even the best smartphone does not have the power. It will be a long time, if ever. One day there will be PS2 on android. I would be surprised if it was PCSX2.

Also this project started when some of it's contributors were in diapers or just out. Is that not crazy?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(06-09-2017, 06:57 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Also this project started when some of it's contributors were in diapers or just out. Is that not crazy?

Yep, ssakash would have been 1 and I would have been 4
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Yeah I was thinking "When did PCSX2 start again?" and when I realized it was like "Wow I'm old." and "Wait that means some of those guys were just barely born!"

That's awesome. We have TWO GENERATIONS OF WORK in our project. That's sexy.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Started an account to add my 2 cents to this. I have a gtx 980ti with an i7 4790k that is connected to my network via ethernet. I use that pc combined with pcsx 2, moonlight for android, a moga controller, and a Galaxy s7 edge to run ps2 on my phone. If I am on 5Ghz wifi it runs flawlessly.

You have to be connected to the same home network, but at least you are free to move about the house/apartment/deluxe cardboard box.
It's not a bad idea Smile , but today , it's impossible to get fullspeed on it , LIBA GPUs and ARM CPUs (Mediatek and Qualcomm in general) are not enough powerfull for PCSX2 , and Vulkan will be needed for the emulation of the 6th console gen on these devices, a feature that PCSX2 don't have (and don't need by the way).
But on android x86 , it will possible I think (Android is a Linux based operating system) due to the PC hardware and the recent update to enabled the 3d acceleration by OpenGL ES with desktop GPU.
Well, im sure emulation of PS2 hardware will be decent in future on smartphones, just many things will have to be rewritten from beginning (especially gpu backends) to make it work in android, considering new APIs like opengl es 3.2 or vulkan. Porting pcsx2 to x64 is hard task not to mention porting to arm. Its another a few years of development, lets first place find a dev who do this.

Thats same with play! Here we have a working ps2 emulator on android, but its one man project, even opensourced. Any other contributors work only on Android gui but not emu core, why??