Pcsx2 has stopped working
Hi, Im new in this forum, even though Ive been trying to make this emulator work for me for some time now...
I've been playing Kingdom Hearts II and I have tried using the normal version of pcsx2, 0.9.6, AND the beta (r888) now , I know you dont offer support for the beta version, thing is that it runs the game a lot faster (not a whole lot but for a fast paced game like KHII the significance of this small speed difference is pretty big) So, Ive been running it there, using a bunch of speed hacks...It also runs in 0.9.6 but it lags a lot more...bottom line is that usually , while im playing, the emulator just randomly shuts down saying( pcsx2 has stopped working)thus resulting in me losing my progress and getting quite frustrated >:/
My system specs are on the OKish side, however the thing is that there are times when the emulator works at full speed, i mean FULL speed 100% 60fps, and just at random moments without me changing areas or anything, it starts lagging at 76% and eventually just shuts down like that...
Specs:
*Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
*4 GB RAM
*ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Graphics card
*Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 at 2.67 GHz

I use GSDX 2404 SSE4.1 (MSVC 15.00) Graphics plugin, I run the game with Linuz ISO plugin and i use the SPU2-X sound plugin...

Is it possible that I can achieve higher speeds(Normal speeds with no laggs) with my system specs? And does anyone know how to fix this "pcsx2 has stopped working" problem???

Also note that when I run PCSX2, I exit all other programms on my pc except for my AntiVirus Software (Norton Internet Security 2010)(just so my pc doesnt use CPU anywhere else cause i need it all on pcsx2)
And my pc also runs at maximum power (i havent chosen power saving mode or anything like that)

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section Smile
Sure hope someone answers me cause I'veWacko been trying to resolve this for about 3-4 weeks now without any luck...

Sponsored links

Wrong section...

From what you post, the most probable cause is an unstable overclock. Set your PC back to stock clock and see if the crashes still happen.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Thanks for replying and im sorry for the wrong section...
I haven't overclocked my cpu Smile I whould have mentioned that if i had...I was thinking about it, but I heard it need extremely well cooling and a much bigger power supply than the one I have right now...so i dont think Ill be doing that

Think it could be the anti-virus?? sometimes it consumes a LOT of cpu, some other times it doesnt...If you think that could be it then any suggestions??
Oh sorry about that. It shouldn't be the anti virus, but you could give it a shot disabling it just to test if it's that. Maybe your processor or graphics card are overheating, get HWmonitor and have it running while you're using PCSX2. Then post back the max temperatures your processor cores and GPU had
BTW use the beta for all these tests. Oh and also post all your configurations and plugins used
Here are the max temperatures of the cpu and gpu : http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/415/capturesb.png

Here are the plugins I use : http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4222/fdfb.png
Here is teh graphics configuration: http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1360/srewr.png

Here are the speedacks I use : http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9376/fdfdfqp.png

Smile
Holy crap! 100C?? You're lucky your processor is still alive! Your CPU cooler has probably failed or has major issues. I suggest you replace it ASAP and before replacing it refrain from using any CPU stressing applications...

Speed hacks can also cause your crashes so disable them and see if it still crashes (that's probably your problem). But seriously, check your fan 100c is critical temperature for your processor and it WILL damage it.
(01-20-2010, 03:03 PM)Bositman Wrote: Holy crap! 100C?? You're lucky your processor is still alive! Your CPU cooler has probably failed or has major issues. I suggest you replace it ASAP and before replacing it refrain from using any CPU stressing applications...

Speed hacks can also cause your crashes so disable them and see if it still crashes (that's probably your problem). But seriously, check your fan 100c is critical temperature for your processor and it WILL damage it.

wow! really??...Thanks a lot man, cause if i continue playing KH2 on pcsx2 , it will probably burn or something...But i dont think its the speed hacks, cause Ive tried playing without them and the game laggs a lot... Sad
I'll post back when i check my cpu fan...

EDIT:
CPUID shows that my fan is working properly, I also downloaded another fan-monitoring program that tells me other things...shows lower temperature and shows that one of my fans isnt working..please check it out
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5598/capturebv.png
(also checked my fan manually(opened the box and checked it out) and it seems to be working...)
Uh yes those temps are on idle, if you run PCSX2 again those tools will show you something close to 100c. If the fan is working, maybe it is partially detached from the processor for some reason, or is just plain crap ( although I doubt it's THAT crap, it must be malfunctioning to give that kind of temperatures).
In any case you need to change it ASAP.
Its probably a false reading...And I got to that conclusion because:

When the CPU usage is near 0, when no aplications are running...the cpu's temperature is above 50C which isnt really what you call "cool"

and also, while I was playing KH2 while having the HW Monitor running, I noticed that ( the CPU temp was 101C and so were each one of the cores),at some point, the temperature of one of the cores, suddently dropped to -30C Blink and then back to 100C...
Ive been Playing KH2 for about 2-3 weeks now, and if my CPU's temp actually was 100C, the CPU whould have melted or something...cause I play for about 2-3 hours non-stop (with occasional crashes, but it doesnt always crash)

so...what if its a false indication?...I'm thinking that the fan (Somehow, cant think of a way this could have happened) isnt making contact with the CPU...for some strange reason..cause the fan isnt a custom fan. its the original fan that came in the CPU's box...( I bought and installed the CPU myself) so since I have never overclocked my CPU, there's no reason for this to be happening...
Ok, having CPU1 fan and AUX1 fan at 0 RPMs is normal. You don't have those in your case most likely, unless you have a dual-CPU system (which is not the same thing as a dual-core system, and are basically non-existent these days in home/consumer PCs).

The AUX0 reading at 110c is bogus. 110c is like almost hot enough to bake brownies, and AUX0 is a case fan. So unless the inside of your case is hot enough to bake brownies (which would mean it'd be HOT just to touch the outside of your case with your hand), there's no way it's that hot.

The 51c readings on your two cpu cores is very normal.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team