Pcsx2- sequel ?
After fully finishing the pcsx2 with full combatibility the pcsx2 will continue to the next gen console emulator? Sorry if the question is annoying but i am just curious Laugh

Sponsored links

I'm sure the devs will eventually move on to other projects... but emulation will never be completely perfect. There are still occasionally updates to emulators for snes and even after 12+ years emulating the system there are STILL some games that aren't emulated fully or at all.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(12-18-2009, 10:31 PM)Koji Wrote: I'm sure the devs will eventually move on to other projects... but emulation will never be completely perfect. There are still occasionally updates to emulators for snes and even after 12+ years emulating the system there are STILL some games that aren't emulated fully or at all.

Koji is right, Emulation takes years to complete. Especially when new technology emerges, coders and programmers of that emulator will have to start adding more code or change configurations to match the new standards.
Toshiba Satellite Notebook L505D
Windows 7 32-Bit - 3GB RAM
AMD Athlon X2 QL-65 2.1GHz
ATI RADEON 3100 256MB Memory Size-1GB shared.
DirectX 9/10/11
Anyway i don`t think a ps3 emulator will be because the processor form ps3 is 40 times faster than the ps2 and that means it will need a 40 times faster processor than a dual core wich is a imposibble thing now anyway i respect the pcsx2 team because they made and they are still making the bst ps2 emulator Smile
yeah every game ive tried on the pcsx2 has run so far, i've had 2 ps2 go south on me and i got sick of either buying repair parts or new systems.. this is a great alternative and is just all around cool!

i only got a few games, but all run

Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
Berserk
DBZ Budo Tenkaichi 3
Fight Night Round 3
Godzilla Unleashed
My Horse and me 2 ( for the little girl Smile )

pcsx2 is awesome, i member a few years ago i couldnt even play berserk with it, but now.. wow .. what a difference!

Maybe a Dual quad core Skulltrail+ SLI'd nvidia Teslas might be closer to having the power to emulate a ps3? if the code could take advantage of every thing? Maybe after a few more upgrades perhaps, but i dont think it'll be impossible
Of course it won't be impossible, that said... Think about the fact that the average computer wasn't even capable of running PCSX2 full speed in most games until recently (last year or two). That means it took about 8-10 years for the average user to have a machine fast enough (and code optimized enough) to play PS2 games at full speed since the release of the console.

It's not outside the realm of reason to expect a similar outcome with the PS3. There may be work on emulators before than... but I wouldn't expect anything playable till 2015 at the earliest. Generally, emulators for consoles aren't out during the lifetime of said console (Only a couple exceptions like UltraHLE which was very incomplete/incompatible but fast, or dolphin for wii since wii is a really low end system)
[Image: 2748844.png]
My guess is that the only way to effectively emulate something like the PS3 at "runnable speeds" is through HLE of various processes performed on the PS3's SPEs. There are quite a few utility classes provided by IBM for executing common mathematical manipulations on data sets (arrays of data), and my guess is that a lot of games probably use those since they're included in the standard public Cell devkit. Emulated via HLE, those functions would be implemented natively for the PC; greatly improving the performance of the mathematical operations performed on the data.

The problem would be highly optimized games that implement their own SPE programs from scratch. There's very little chance that SPEs could be emulated efficiently in a multi-core PC environment, so the PS3 emulator would be much like the PS2 emulator, and would work best on like a 2-core 12ghz system.

... and good luck finding one of those. Wink
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Ok the answer is : PATIENCE!
Ehm yeah, don't count on a ps3 emulator the next 50 years Tongue2
i want pcsx3