Pcsx2 shell replacer mod?
(03-20-2018, 08:02 PM)TkSilver Wrote: Are you looking to make your PC act like a PS2?  Where it only shows the PS2 bios and when you put in a disc it loads that game?

Loading a disc based game might be possible from the bios (to be honest I have never bothered to try), but if you want to browse iso files and pick from them or do other things in an enviroment that looks like a PS2 system then you will need to make a custom frontend to be able to handle all that.

You can integrate PCSX2 and many other emulators into steam already if you would rather go that route.  As for kodi I don't know if there is program addon to allow PCSX2 game loading, but it should be possible to make one.

That's exactly it! I can't believe I didn't think of this but the starting scene/menu on the ps2 is the bios, right? 
There use to be tons of resources for modding bios' on pcs, there might be some out there for making a front end like the og ps2. Googling is leading me to bare metal programming as well, I wonder how much it'd cost to get a job like this done.

You're giving me ideas man...sweet, unrealistic, expensive ideas.

Sponsored links

(03-20-2018, 09:14 PM)MoonMail Wrote: That's exactly it! I can't believe I didn't think of this but the starting scene/menu on the ps2 is the bios, right? 
There use to be tons of resources for modding bios' on pcs, there might be some out there for making a front end like the og ps2. Googling is leading me to bare metal programming as well, I wonder how much it'd cost to get a job like this done.

You're giving me ideas man...sweet, unrealistic, expensive ideas.

It's totally possible with a small c++ program, all you do is render a black screen and if a dvd is detected run pcsx2 vs. epsxe etc.
Can I recomend the style of the PS3/PSP (the xross media bar) XMB instead of the ps2's style since the PS2 was not made for loading multiple items. It comes from a time of only physical media and would not be a very good. The XMB style lends itself well to emulator rom loading, multiple system loading, disc loading, and other more user friendly layout improvements. This is why Retroarch, emulation station, Kodi (sort of) and other multi system emulator frontends tend to use this style. so maybe ypu could find a front end in this style that can handle loading PS2 games into PCSX2 for you and just skin it to look more PS2 like with icons and other visual changes (you could probably add the iconic PS2 boot sequence as a movie file depending on the frontend ypu are skinning). Someone may have done this already for you even... though less sure on this.
(03-21-2018, 02:00 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Can I recomend the style of the PS3/PSP (the xross media bar) XMB instead of the ps2's style since the PS2 was not made for loading multiple items.  It comes from a time of only physical media and would not be a very good.  The XMB style lends itself well to emulator rom loading, multiple system loading, disc loading, and other more user friendly layout improvements.  This is why Retroarch, emulation station, Kodi (sort of) and other multi system emulator frontends tend to use this style.  so maybe ypu could find a front end in this style that can handle loading PS2 games into PCSX2 for you and just skin it to look more PS2 like with icons and other visual changes (you could probably add the iconic PS2 boot sequence as a movie file depending on the frontend ypu are skinning).  Someone may have done this already for you even... though less sure on this.

Which is loosely what I was describing with my post above, c++ is the perfect language for this took me 5 min to make a basic disc launcher for my own personal use.