Pentium 4 compatibility?
why not make PCSX2 compatible with Pentium 4? Seriously, this processor is much more powerful than a PS2 one, and you guys talk about Dual Core. What happens to those who don't have enough mopney? (and no, don't start telling me something like "but it's cheap in this site". I never buy anything online except if it is Amazon.com)

Thank you for reading.

Sponsored links

it is compatible with Pentium 4.

In fact, one of Playground's coders develops on his Pentium 4 Tongue2
(01-26-2009, 10:04 PM)cottonvibes Wrote: it is compatible with Pentium 4.

In fact, one of Playground's coders develops on his Pentium 4 Tongue2

So how come to be that there are people in here that full speed is impossible on Pentium 4?
What should I do then?
Because "compatible" and "run at full speed" mean completely different things.

You have 4 possible choices, if you want PCSX2 to run faster for you:

1) Don't use PCSX2
2) Get a faster computer
3) Speed up PCSX2 yourself - it's open source
4) Wait and hope future versions are faster

You've ruled out 2, I doubt you'll ever know enough to do 3, so that leaves 1 and 4.

Complaining about speed just isn't productive. It's not like the devs deliberately make PCSX2 require a high end computer to run full speed, and can thus magically make it run faster for you. Devs do whatever they can to make it fast; it's not as if your post will make them suddenly think "My god! PCSX2 should run at speed on P4s, I'll just take a few minutes make it faster. It just never occurred to me that someone might want to run it on a slower computer."
(01-26-2009, 10:22 PM)Dwarg Wrote: Because "compatible" and "run at full speed" mean completely different things.

You have 4 possible choices, if you want PCSX2 to run faster for you:

1) Don't use PCSX2
2) Get a faster computer
3) Speed up PCSX2 yourself - it's open source
4) Wait and hope future versions are faster

You've ruled out 2, I doubt you'll ever know enough to do 3, so that leaves 1 and 4.

Complaining about speed just isn't productive. It's not like the devs deliberately make PCSX2 require a high end computer to run full speed, and can thus magically make it run faster for you. Devs do whatever they can to make it fast; it's not as if your post will make them suddenly think "My god! PCSX2 should run at speed on P4s, I'll just take a few minutes make it faster. It just never occurred to me that someone might want to run it on a slower computer."
Lol that end made me actually laugh
But no, I'm no noob, of course I know that. But I think that there could be people good at this and make it faster on it
I'm still too low on coding, but I'm getting some lessons and maybe i'll see what i can do with it.
But I'm not noob (again), I am NOT expecting good results with me modding this.

Thanks
I always like to bring on the years of development put into this emulator.
At least 20 talented coders working on it, speed always a concern.
Maybe it's just not possible to make it so fast your years old pc can handle it, just maybe..

"What happens to those who don't have enough mopney?"

Those people are simply out of luck. Easy as that.
Seriously, you want it to run in a P4 when it's already enough processor-intensive as to use a c2d at 80-100%?

You must be dreaming. You're better playing in your PS2, I doubt PCSX2 will be running at full speed even on a Pentium D (x2 P4s). They're simply not enough, as a general emulation rule, to emulate a system you need a system with at least 8x the power of the emulated system.
(01-27-2009, 10:25 AM)stpdrgstr Wrote: Seriously, you want it to run in a P4 when it's already enough processor-intensive as to use a c2d at 80-100%?

You must be dreaming. You're better playing in your PS2, I doubt PCSX2 will be running at full speed even on a Pentium D (x2 P4s). They're simply not enough, as a general emulation rule, to emulate a system you need a system with at least 8x the power of the emulated system.

That is nothing compared to what we're saying. It's impossible what you're saying, what you're problably trying to say is that the power of the console isn't compatible with computing machines. But Pentium Ds are able to do that otherwise.
i have a question ,im not a expert, just wana know, ive heard about high level emulation , using this method , the games are much faster, but ive also heard that if some games do the job differently they need to make a fix for those games separately too! , apart from this, did the developers even think about that!? dont you think it would be easier to use that method! ?
Keyaku:
Whats really too slow on a pentium4 is the VU emulation.
You can probably play 2D games on your cpu just fine.

Emulating the 2 VU's is what a P4 simply cannot handle fast enough..