Performance Issues with Ridge Racer V
Hello gentlemen Smile First off, thank you devs for your continued work on this wonderful emulator. It's much appreciated.

Now, I am using the latest beta and trying to play the NTSC version of Ridge Racer V. It runs but it performs very poorly, even using the Gdsx plugin. On the track I can get up to 50fps at some spots but most of the time it dips between 20-35fps. Can someone please suggest what the best settings/plugins are to run RRV at full speed? Which speedhacks are best? What should I set my internal res to? Which effects boxes should I check?

Here are my PC specs.

Windows XP Pro
Pentium e8500 Core2Duo overclocked to 4.0Ghz
ATI 4870 512MB
1.5tb HDD
3.2GB DDR Ram

PC is connected to a DLP front projector so maximum resolution output that's useful on this machine is 1280x720, due to the pj having that as its native res.

Certainly it shouldn't have any problems running at full speed?

Thanks in advance Smile

Sponsored links

I see you're running PCSX2 under XP, which means GSdx is limited to DX9. I can't be sure how much more speed you'll get running GSdx in DX10 mode, but you'll definitely see an increase. Just grab the Windows 7 RC (don't forget to get the 32-bit version) and you'll be good to go.

I can't tell you about the other settings though, since I don't have that game.
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.81GHz [Windsor] w/ Noctua NH-C12P
Asus Xonar D2 w/ Logitech Z-5500
e-VGA 8800GTS 640MB 513/792 stock ; 720/1080 o/c
Corsair XMS2 1GB DDR2 PC6400 x2
Western Digital 500GB 16MB cache x2
Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
---
XP Pro - SP2 - 32bit
also are you using the latest revision of gsdx from the plugins section? that should bring a huge performance increase on your ATi card if you arent.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-25-2009, 01:02 PM)refraction Wrote: also are you using the latest revision of gsdx from the plugins section? that should bring a huge performance increase on your ATi card if you arent.

Thanks guys. refraction I am not sure if I am using them or not. but just incase Im not, can you please link to it?

Also, how do I choose the DX10 version of the Gdsx plugin?
(06-25-2009, 04:46 PM)Isamu Wrote: Thanks guys. refraction I am not sure if I am using them or not. but just incase Im not, can you please link to it?

Also, how do I choose the DX10 version of the Gdsx plugin?
It wasnt overly difficult to find on the forum with a bit of effort on your part, but here you go as im not going to argue the matter http://guliverkli.sf.net/latest.php?q=GSdx

Directx 10 will be automatically chosen if available, you can check this by going to Config->Graphics then seeing if the "Renderer" is set to Hardware (Dx10)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

nevermind about the gdsx plugin Im already using the latest one. Hmm, wonder what else I can try to speed things up in RRV....
well I've tried just about everything. Every setting/plugin combo possible, and the most I can get is around 55-60fps *sometimes*, while other times it just drops, and the audio will skip sometimes.

If you guys get a chance, can you please look into possibly finding a solution that will allow RRV to run better than it currently does? It would be greatly appreciated Smile
Hi guys. Any luck trying to figure out what's causing the lag/slowdown/choppiness issues of Ridge Racer V? It's weird...no matter what the settings are, the game gets laggy/sluggish during certain parts of the track. On other parts, it runs really smooth. It's definitely some kind of bug. I tried both the dv9 and dx11 versions of the gsdx plugin.

Are any of you able to achieve a full ROCK SOLID 60fps in Ridge Racer V at least 99% of the time? If so, what are your system specs?
GS plugin slowdown, try enabling/disabling "allow 8-bit textures" in GSdx and use frameskip (shift+f4 while playing in the PCSX2 0.9.7 beta) and you should get full speed on the game if you still have the same CPU. Using frameskip will make the races less smooth thou and seems the cars only look right with software mode which should be slower too Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-17-2010, 01:15 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: GS plugin slowdown, try enabling/disabling "allow 8-bit textures" in GSdx and use frameskip (shift+f4 while playing in the PCSX2 0.9.7 beta) and you should get full speed on the game if you still have the same CPU. Using frameskip will make the races less smooth thou and seems the cars only look right with software mode which should be slower too Tongue2

Thanks for the reply Shadow Lady. Good to see you over here Smile

I have to make a clarification...since my original post last year, I bought a laptop to accompany my desktop. I still have the desktop, but it is in the shop undergoing repairs, so my laptop will have to do for now. My laptop however, is not as powerful as my desktop. So what I should have done when posting yesterday was post my laptop specs which I will do now:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® 7 Ultimate 32/64-Bit Edition

Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9900 / 6MB L2 Cache, 3.06GHz, 1066MHz FSB

Video & Graphics Card: *Dual* Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory in SLI Mode

Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 X 4GB

Primary Hard Disk Drive: 160GB Intel SATA2 Solid State Disk Drive

2nd Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As you can see, it's not the powerhouse that my desktop is but it's no slouch either Smile I don't think I'll be able to run RRV smoothly with these specs, given the processor in this thing is based on an Intel *mobile centrino* chip, although it is at 3.0Ghz. I wonder how this chip compares to the normal desktop versions of the core2duo?

Anyway I'll play around with it some more.