Performance Queries
I've been trying to use PCSX2 on my HTPC and I'm having trouble getting it to run at any usable frame-rate. On the occasions it does, it becomes very erratic and generally doesn't last long.

Machine is:
Arch Linux (Kernel 3.4.5)
Intel i5 2500k
ATi RadeonHD 7770 (Catalyst 12.6)
8GB DDR 1333Mhz
Samsung 256GB SSD

So the spec isn't exactly low.

As an example, I was trying to play Gran Turismo 4 and I was generally getting 30-35fps, if I enabled 8-16x AA then it dropped down to 20-30fps.

Sometimes if I face away from the track (i.e. sideways) it'll go up to 50fps but that's the only occasion.

This is using 0.9.8 and the zzOGL driver.

Am I missing something here? Considering what I've heard of people playing games with I thought I'd have no trouble at all.

Sponsored links

Try the GSdx plugin instead ZZOGL. (maybe must build pcsx2 from source)
The Linux situation isn't the best if you aim for speed.
Consider installing some free Windows version if you want to run PCSX2 best.
(07-23-2012, 04:51 PM)rama Wrote: The Linux situation isn't the best if you aim for speed.
Consider installing some free Windows version if you want to run PCSX2 best.

I tried it through Wine, it seemed horribly unstable. Changing operating systems entirely isn't an option.

I checked GSdx but HW support was marked as experimental and completely locked up the machine when I tried to use it.
(07-23-2012, 05:10 PM)Enverex Wrote: I tried it through Wine, it seemed horribly unstable. Changing operating systems entirely isn't an option.

I checked GSdx but HW support was marked as experimental and completely locked up the machine when I tried to use it.

Well would you be willing to make a bit of room to install Windows XP SP3?

Granted it may not be optimal to install a new OS just for PCSX2 but it you can designate like 15-20GB and I think PCSX2 could access the game .iso files from the other partition (not sure about this correct me if I am wrong).
(07-23-2012, 05:12 PM)YumiLovesMe Wrote: Well would you be willing to make a bit of room to install Windows XP SP3?

Granted it may not be optimal to install a new OS just for PCSX2 but it you can designate like 15-20GB and I think PCSX2 could access the game .iso files from the other partition (not sure about this correct me if I am wrong).

No, this is a HTPC, installing another OS, especially just for one application is not going to happen. I'm just looking to figure out why performance is so poor at the moment.
^Oh sorry about that then :/ - when you say HTPC you mean like a media server type thing?

EDIT: if you honestly want to run PCSX2 then as one of the coders themselves said Linux is not the best option.

EDIT 2: well not to much love for linux sadly... thats why I have not used it since 2009 lol
HTPC media centre / console style setup. Doing all-round stuff really. Surprised that PCSX2 is the only PS2 emulator and that it's so bad on Linux.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to skip it then if performance is known to be bad on Linux.
(07-23-2012, 05:39 PM)Enverex Wrote: HTPC media centre / console style setup. Doing all-round stuff really. Surprised that PCSX2 is the only PS2 emulator and that it's so bad on Linux.

Ah well. Guess I'll have to skip it then if performance is known to be bad on Linux.

Well don't give up on it yet PCSX2 is always being improved upon...
Quote:I checked GSdx but HW support was marked as experimental and completely locked up the machine when I tried to use it.
Actually on AMD GPU it is worst than that. It failed to setup blending correctly so output is completely corrupted. I'm nearly sure it is a driver bug. Maybe I will able to check the implementation on the opensource driver (mesa 8.1). For the lockup/crash (the latter on my side but I still have 12.3, 12.6 is broken on debian), I'm completely clueless. Maybe I did a bad thing but hard to say, the backtrace show that the driver crash nothing more. Strangely if I create a trace in SW mode and replay it with HW mode there isn't any crash...

For those 2 issues, I didn't hear any complain from Nvidia users so it might be fine for them.

Note: 8xAA or more is overkill for zzogl.