Performance increase questions (shadow of the colossus)
I'm not sure if this has been asked before (although it probably has) but anyway, I've had a look around and found nothing.

First things first, here's my specs

Core 2 duo 2.0ghz (yeah, I know it sucks. Gonna upgrade to 2.4ghz soon)
4gb DDR2 ram
Mobility Radeon HD2600 (512mb)

I backed up my copy of shadow of the colossus (along with a few other games) about a week ago so I could store all my PS2 games out the way for a while as there's work being done on the house. Anyway, I can run the .iso file at about 20-30fps with all speedhacks turned on, running on dx10, all through the .iso plugin. I can't remember what fps I got when I used the original DVD so I wanted to ask...

Do I get a higher fps from a mounted .iso or from a physical DVD? Is there a difference at all? If I burn the .iso to a DVD, will my backup run at the same fps as my original DVD did?

Thanks

Sponsored links

I don't believe you would see a difference between dvd and iso, though i might be mistaken. Post your config with that rig you should be getting more than 20-30 fps.
Laptop Rig:

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8Ghz
3 gb DDR2-800 RAM
256mb ATI HD 3430
Windows Vista Buisness 32-Bit

Desktop Rig:

P4 HT @ 3.0Ghz
3 gb DDR2-533 RAM
256mb ATI X1300
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit
I thought the fps was a bit low...

Config:

GSdx 890 (SSE2)
Direct3D 10 (HW)
windowed
no texture filtering or anything.
Europe BIOS 2.0
Linuz Iso CDVD
unlimited fps
3x cycle rate
all other speedhacks enabled

That's everything I think.
(05-07-2009, 04:49 AM)Eyhren Wrote: I'm not sure if this has been asked before (although it probably has) but anyway, I've had a look around and found nothing.

First things first, here's my specs

Core 2 duo 2.0ghz (yeah, I know it sucks. Gonna upgrade to 2.4ghz soon)
4gb DDR2 ram
Mobility Radeon HD2600 (512mb)

I backed up my copy of shadow of the colossus (along with a few other games) about a week ago so I could store all my PS2 games out the way for a while as there's work being done on the house. Anyway, I can run the .iso file at about 20-30fps with all speedhacks turned on, running on dx10, all through the .iso plugin. I can't remember what fps I got when I used the original DVD so I wanted to ask...

Do I get a higher fps from a mounted .iso or from a physical DVD? Is there a difference at all? If I burn the .iso to a DVD, will my backup run at the same fps as my original DVD did?

Thanks

I would go with the mounted ISO. I was originally using DVDs, but got fed up with them when the disk would keep spinning up and down, causing 10 second long pauses every two to three minutes. Mounted disks will give you shorter load times, and depending on the power settings on your hard drive, won't spin down. As for a fps increase, I don't think you'll see one.
I don't think you will get a very good frame rate with your CPU, but anyway, reading data from a hard drive is always faster than reading from an optical disc so it's best to go with using an ISO. The thing is, the speed your computer can access data doesn't really matter if the emulator itself can't use enough CPU power to access the data at the fastest your hardware can send it so you probably won't get a good frame rate no matter what you do, but just in case, check out this thread because this guy tested a variety of config methods and came up with what works best for him and worked good for me. However, he wasn't using the latest beta so he didn't have access to the "VU Cycle Stealing" in the speed hacks, which should be set to max for this game.
(05-07-2009, 03:20 PM)Eyhren Wrote: I thought the fps was a bit low...

Config:

GSdx 890 (SSE2)
Direct3D 10 (HW)
windowed
no texture filtering or anything.
Europe BIOS 2.0
Linuz Iso CDVD
unlimited fps
3x cycle rate
all other speedhacks enabled

That's everything I think.

First off, you have an old plugin, and also, you have a Core2Duo, meaning it supports SSE4. Try getting the latest, GSDX r1076 SSE4 from the beta and plugin compilation thread.
Also, you must have an old version of the emu, which I recommend you getting the latest at the same thread, then try again.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html

Also, it may be possible that you didn't enable MTGS and the EE recompiler. Go to Configuration -> Cpu to enable them.
Thanks for the info. I updated the version and all the plugins and I checked the cpu config but all those settings were automatically checked.
It still runs at about 30fps. There's also some issues with the bloom but they aren't as game-breaking as the framerate and I am aware that that is a separate issue that I can read up on once I get it running faster.
Make sure you have the "native" box ticked in the graphics plugin, that'll make it run faster.
Also make sure you have "VU Cycle Stealing" at maximum in the speed hacks, that's a great help for this game and ICO.

If you are getting an incredibly bright screen from the bloom effects, the way to fix that is by increasing the resolution, which means unchecking the native box and putting in something like 1024x768. That's what I did when I was out of the main temple going to a colossus, and then when I'd get to the colossus I set it back to native because increasing the reolution will slow the game down a lot.