Performance of C2D +HD 5450 on PCSX2?
Hey guys first time posting here. I've used pcsx2 a few times to play a game here or there. Earlier this year I built a new core I7 rig and i'm giving some of my old components to my girl and buying some others to build a htpc that can also play up to ps2 level emulators.

The components I am giving her are Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3R motherboard, C2D E6550 @2.33 ghz (will oc to to about 2.7) 2 gigs of corsair value select ram ddr2 ram (will add 1 more gig) and a couple of 250 gig sata 3.0 hdds.

What is yet to be bought is a ATI HD 5450, I want to know if anybody has a similar set up (cpu, gpu) and the results with pcsx2. I asked on a few sites like toms hardware but got no results. Decided to ask here since this site is obviously dedicated to pcsx2. I appreciate any help i can get.

Sponsored links

hd 5450 will be good for pcsx2 no question about that, but cpu @ 2.33 will be too slow, oc @2.7, it will be right on the border between playable to enjoyable speeds, if you can just get aftermarket air cooler for around $50 and push core speeds to 3.0-3.2ghz, you will run pcsx2 at full speeds, for most games.
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod
(12-08-2010, 05:09 AM)vdgamer Wrote: hd 5450 will be good for pcsx2 no question about that, but cpu @ 2.33 will be too slow, oc @2.7, it will be right on the border between playable to enjoyable speeds, if you can just get aftermarket air cooler for around $50 and push core speeds to 3.0-3.2ghz, you will run pcsx2 at full speeds, for most games.

I'm buying an arctic freezer 7 pro (I think its called that) which is what i had when i was using those components. I accidentally broke the little plastic push pins which is why its not already included in the parts i listed. I'm getting it from newegg.

Do you have first hand experience with that particular cpu and video card for pcsx2? I want to know anybody has had a smooth ride by my listed specs or lower ones.
i have laptop c2d 2.5ghz hd4650 1gb 4gb ddr2 ram, runs pcsx2 near full speed, but not perfect, my i7 with stock clock wouldnt run pcsx2 perfect, and if you read recommended requirement for pcsx2 thread you will find that under recommended processors label it tells you that c2d 3.2ghz or higher is recommended. http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Will-PCSX...y-computer
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod
(12-08-2010, 05:39 AM)vdgamer Wrote: i have laptop c2d 2.5ghz hd4650 1gb 4gb ddr2 ram, runs pcsx2 near full speed, but not perfect, my i7 with stock clock wouldnt run pcsx2 perfect, and if you read recommended requirement for pcsx2 thread you will find that under recommended processors label it tells you that c2d 3.2ghz or higher is recommended. http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Will-PCSX...y-computer

I have read that, but it only gives you an idea. It doesn't give benchmarks/first hand tests with combination of different components (what tech site doesn't do that these days? step it up pcsx2) That why I asked if anybody had my exact set up or lower and was able to tell me their experiences.
I don't have that exact GPU but I do have a Radeon HD 4550 which is very similar (basically a slightly lower-clocked DX10 version). Just tried Shadow of the Colossus and it's pegging the GPU 100% (monitored via GPU-Z as the GS% isn't very accurate). Framerates were ~40 FPS with speedhacks and ~15 FPS without. That's on native resolution.

Specs (File Server/Back-End DVR):
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 GHz
Wintec AMPO 2x2GB DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD 4550 512MB

Not my gaming rig (the presence of the HD 4550 should be a give-away) so I haven't really tested other games on it. Also, Shadow of the Colossus is probably one of the more difficult games.

Code:
GPU            GP/s    GT/s    GB/s
HD 4550         2.4     2.8    12.8
HD 5450 DDR2    2.6     5.2     6.4
HD 5450 DDR3    2.6     5.2    12.8

Among the above values, the memory bandwidth (GB/s) is the most important.

Regardless of GPU, at 2.7 GHz, speedhacks will probably be necessary for most games. PS2 level emulation is pretty taxing on hardware. Even my Core i7-860 isn't enough for some games without speedhacks. You can play simple games without problem on the hardware you're planning to use, just don't expect fullspeed on all games. While you're at it, don't expect full compatibility either. Mind you, PCSX2 has come a long way with regards to compatibility. However, it's still not capable of playing every game perfectly even with most high end hardware.
(12-08-2010, 05:51 AM)tical2399 Wrote: It doesn't give benchmarks/first hand tests with combination of different components (what tech site doesn't do that these days? step it up pcsx2)

I'd like to comment on this. There are thousands of games available for the PS2. Benchmarking PCSX2 wouldn't really yield the same results as benchmarking a single PC game would. There are efforts to compare relative rankings of CPU and GPU but ultimately, actual performance would vary on a per game basis. There are speedhacks available but they're just that - hacks. They may speed up some games but slow down others, not to mention the glitches that may arise through the use of them.

Another thing to keep in mind, PCSX2 is in constant development. With every new release, the devs are working on increasing both compatibility and performance. Even if the devs develop a generic benchmark for PCSX2, it will probably only be useful for comparing different architectures.
Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll be good with the c2d and hd5450 for what she will want to play. She wont be playing anything except for stuff like crash bandicoot/ sly cooper and small puzzle games that were on ps2. Must admit i'm kinda disappointed with the pcsx2 team, relatively modern components should have no problem emulating a 10 year old console regardless of the architectural differences. Just seems like a lack of programming talent, but hey its all we got and i 'm not programmer and cant do any better so I guess can't complain.
(12-08-2010, 07:36 AM)tical2399 Wrote: ...so I guess can't complain.

I think you just did, and in a not very nice way Tongue2

You're right, you're no programmer and you don't know what should or what shouldn't have a problem emulating another machine really. And just saying but a low end "modern" computer isn't any better than a high end older one anyways Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(12-08-2010, 07:36 AM)tical2399 Wrote: Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll be good with the c2d and hd5450 for what she will want to play. She wont be playing anything except for stuff like crash bandicoot/ sly cooper and small puzzle games that were on ps2. Must admit i'm kinda disappointed with the pcsx2 team, relatively modern components should have no problem emulating a 10 year old console regardless of the architectural differences. Just seems like a lack of programming talent, but hey its all we got and i 'm not programmer and cant do any better so I guess can't complain.

you wont be playing sly cooper or crash bandicoot those games are pretty demanding... maybe on 30frps or so. (so half the usual speed for ntsc users for pal it would be 25 fps.)

and calling the pcsx2 team bad is just wrong. they have come a really long way and it is doing a mighty good job of what it should be doing.