Performance question
Hello,

I'm currently looking to buy a new PC, mostly gaming but also school stuff, music producing and a little bit of video-editting.

I am questioning myself, which CPU is the best for PCSX2 at stock:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (4x 3,2GHz)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (4x 2,8GHz)

and which one is the best overclocking it like 0,2-4 GHz more?

Or do you think I should wait for Intel's i5?

Oh and I'm probably going to buy the ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB, with this I can probably play them on 720p or even 1080p?

Thank you!

Sponsored links

E8600 is overperform both.
I'd say wait for i5 if you can. You won't be able to upgrade (at least if you buy a Q9550) without changing a motherboard since the new i5/i7 series have a different socket.
Usually, Intel overclocks better but since that one is a black edition amd model it might be better, not sure.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(09-02-2009, 11:35 AM)Zeydlitz Wrote: E8600 is overperform both.

That's not what I asked. I'm currently looking at quadcores since I'm into music producing and video-editting (not extreme).

I was looking at a E8400 though but still, I want a quadcore. Laugh

And when will the i5 be out, I don't want to wait too long, otherwise I might look into an i7 but since the motherboards are pretty expensive and here in The Netherlands it's still pretty expensive I don't think I'm possible to do that.

Thanks though.
The most feasible choice for you would be choosing a cpu architecture that would not force you to change motherboards should you choose to replace processors in the future.

Core i3 and i5 uses socket mPGA989
Core i7 and i9 (westmere) uses socket LGA1366 (expensive mobos)
Phenom II x4 uses socket am2+/am3 (cheap cpu+mobo overall, on-par with intel c2q in terms of performance)
If you want to future proof yourself, either wait for the i5's, get an i7, or get the AMD as the AM3 socket is planned to still be the primary CPU socket till 2011.
[Image: 2748844.png]
...AMD Phenom II 955BE clocks on air in gameing case till 3.7-3.9 with little more VCore, so it's not bad CPU at all, & here in Serbia it costs around 150€, better aftermarket cooler is around 15-30€, (I have CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 it costs 15€) & mobos with AM2+/AM3 are around 100-130€, DDRIII is almost the same as DDRII, so all together you get it all for around 300€ & Intel is about 150+€ more + it needs 3x DDRIII for it three channel memory controller...

...every new Intel series, you must buy new mobo, & AMD has learned that lesson long time ago xD

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
(09-02-2009, 04:49 PM)rex1825 Wrote: ...AMD Phenom II 955BE clocks on air in gameing case till 3.7-3.9 with little more VCore, so it's not bad CPU at all, & here in Serbia it costs around 150€, better aftermarket cooler is around 15-30€, (I have CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 it costs 15€) & mobos with AM2+/AM3 are around 100-130€, DDRIII is almost the same as DDRII, so all together you get it all for around 300€ & Intel is about 150+€ more + it needs 3x DDRIII for it three channel memory controller...

...every new Intel series, you must buy new mobo, & AMD has learned that lesson long time ago xD

Cheers...

Thanks all. How fast are most PCSX2 games you tried? Full speed?
Sorry for the double post (it was yesterday) but I have a small question, does it matter that the AMD processor doesn't support SSSE3 and SSE4 (something like that), is it worth going for the Q9550 because it supports this? I do want to try a lot of games on PCSX2 getting fullspeed. Or should I just go with the Phenom II 955 Black Edition, which I probably overclock to 3,6 GHz. Wink

Thanks!
...well, I play only GT4, & my speed is ~95% of the game overall, so there are some slowdowns here & there (40-50fps), but most of the time it goes 100% (60fps), that is on a track, there comes on one lets say curve a 40fps drop for a second, then it returns back to 60fps etc.
Intel Q9550 isn't bad at all, it even clocks more then 955BE but problem is when you wanna buy new CPU, you must change MoBo too, so look what's better for you! + AMD ins't planning to change socket till 2011, that is in AM3 socket you will be able to put in CPU's till 2011, & for every intel's new family of CPU you need new board xD

It's your money, you chose m8... I'm satisfied with my 955BE with speed @3.8GHz for every day, with almost small VCore+ from 1.33 to 1.4V, & CPU is unlocked xD

Cheers...

Edit: ...regarding SSSE3 & SSE4, as far I know, there is no big inpact from SSSE3, but might be around 5-10% for SSE4, but not sure, better wait for another anwser...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X